Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,541,837 times

Advertisements

Or should it be the cost of surviving? look at the cigarette tax? many people quit because too expensive thus the income from its taxes dwindled. Bill could broaden tobacco tax to include nicotine, fund Hawaii Cancer Center - Pacific Business News

whats that song by the beetles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQiVQuiu04

how can gov not operate with in their budgets? we try to do it in our day to day lives.

Here in Hawaii they want to now start taxing you for parking infront your house...

Bill proposes parking fees for residential neighborhoods | More Local News - KITV Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 03:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post

Here in Hawaii they want to now start taxing you for parking infront your house...

Bill proposes parking fees for residential neighborhoods | More Local News - KITV Home
That is just copying San Francisco - they've had that for years.

Quite frankly - a great idea if it makes people stop being so ghetto with their garages - it is pathetic how people just pile junk in the garage/carport and are to lazy to clean it up.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
It does kinda seem that's outside their mandate when the City Council starts initiating taxes of that nature. Just because they do it on the mainland doesn't mean we have to do it here.

The other thing is what are they planning to do with the tax money generated if the plan goes through? Will it be used to get more parking places? Better public transport so there's less cars on the road? Use the taxes to increase the walkability of the areas?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is just copying San Francisco - they've had that for years.

Quite frankly - a great idea if it makes people stop being so ghetto with their garages - it is pathetic how people just pile junk in the garage/carport and are to lazy to clean it up.

I always found it odd that people with garages and driveways fronting them with enough space to park cars (without blocking the sidewalk) would park their cars in the garage.

We have no snow, no freezing weather, etc. My car is a little warm when I get it in but the ac cools it down within seconds. But I have 400 SF of enclosed/secured space to use as a workshop/office/gym/storage/etc.

With homes costing $500/square foot or more for interior space, a parking garage has tremendous value. People spend a mind-blowing $1,200/mo to rent an identical space at any in-town self-storage facility.

On the flip side, if there is no room to park a car in front of the garage, the garage should definitely be utilized for parking.

The bigger problem is landlords that allow tenants to move into their units without sufficient off-street parking.

I have a strict rule with my rental property... If I have a potential tenant with a unit that only comes with one stall and they need two stalls -they are off the list. I don't want them parking any more cars on the street. It's disrespectful to the neighbors in the area.

Unfortunately most landlords are 100% profit-motivated. That's why our streets are overflowing with cars.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I always found it odd that people with garages and driveways fronting them with enough space to park cars (without blocking the sidewalk) would park their cars in the garage.
That is exactly the problem with a lot of people in Hawaii - many decide to make a "garage" a personal junk yard.

Garage: 1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles. 2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

Garage | Define Garage at Dictionary.com

If one needs to a personal junk yard - buy a bigger house or get an addition. Street parking should be for guests or parking to do business at an establishment. Or, make people pay and get permits to not incent people with garages or carports to park on the street.

I bet if overnight parking was $1,200/year on the street - a lot of garage/eyesores - would be cleaned up (and property values increase/look better in the neighborhood)

Last edited by whtviper1; 07-12-2015 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is exactly the problem with a lot of people in Hawaii - many decide to make a "garage" a personal junk yard.

Garage: 1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles. 2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

Garage | Define Garage at Dictionary.com

If one needs to a personal junk yard - buy a bigger house or get an addition. Street parking should be for guests or parking to do business at an establishment. Or, make people pay and get permits to not incent people with garages or carports to park on the street.

I bet if overnight parking was $1,200/year on the street - a lot of garage/eyesores - would be cleaned up (and property values increase/look better in the neighborhood)
I agree that a garage shouldn't be used for anything but parking cars IF the home does not provide off-street parking for the residents. If I can park a couple cars in my driveway, why do I need to put the car in the garage? The garage serves a much better purpose than short term storage for cars. Especially when the cost of construction and land is among the highest on the planet and our climate doesn't necessitate the need to protect your vehicle from freezing temperatures and awful climates.

Again, the real problem is landlords renting units to people with cars - and not providing parking stalls to accommodate them. It's common in town to see homes chopped up into 2/3/4 units and only 2 parking stalls are provided. One home can easily pack 3-4 cars on the street. That's a much bigger problem then people that use their single car garages for storage. If they have sufficient parking in the driveway that accesses the garage, storage (or other use) should be allowed.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,267,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Or should it be the cost of surviving? look at the cigarette tax? many people quit because too expensive thus the income from its taxes dwindled. Bill could broaden tobacco tax to include nicotine, fund Hawaii Cancer Center - Pacific Business News

whats that song by the beetles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQiVQuiu04

how can gov not operate with in their budgets? we try to do it in our day to day lives.

This is pretty much how it is around here. The Cigarette tax, on this tax already added taxes on all other Tobacco products. It will not add money the coffers. The City Council will just figure out another tax add when they do not make there goals.
Scott

Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
This is pretty much how it is around here. The Cigarette tax, on this tax already added taxes on all other Tobacco products. It will not add money the coffers. The City Council will just figure out another tax add when they do not make there goals.
Scott
As in cigertte tax, dose it matter where its added?? It drove the price up as to cause more people to quit smoking, the down fall is that
Quote:
May 1, 2015 ... ... Center is merging with the UH John A. Burns School of Medicine to cut costs, ... The medical school's share of the state's tobacco master settlement is ... and cigarette tax revenue allocated to the center decreased by more A cure for ailing University of Hawaii finances - Pacific Business News
if you tax and or impose excessive user fees you wont always get more money. UH was relying on funds but where did it go? people quit smoking. thus the school is in financial trouble...

Same with this parking issue, I will be getting me a moped and getting rid of one car if this takes place. The repercussions is no more registration fees, city looses out and less gas I will be using so less gas tax will be collected from me. When I put gas the tax collected I say is a user fee for driving on the road. What do electric vehicles pay as far as a user fee for driving on the roads? States Consider Taxing Electric Cars to Make Up For Lost Gas Tax Revenue | PluginCars.com

Quote:
Study recommends 400 percent gas tax hike for Hawaii
Study recommends 400 percent gas tax hike for Hawaii - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

lucky we got rail comming. LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I agree that a garage shouldn't be used for anything but parking cars IF the home does not provide off-street parking for the residents. If I can park a couple cars in my driveway, why do I need to put the car in the garage? The garage serves a much better purpose than short term storage for cars. Especially when the cost of construction and land is among the highest on the planet and our climate doesn't necessitate the need to protect your vehicle from freezing temperatures and awful climates.

Again, the real problem is landlords renting units to people with cars - and not providing parking stalls to accommodate them. It's common in town to see homes chopped up into 2/3/4 units and only 2 parking stalls are provided. One home can easily pack 3-4 cars on the street. That's a much bigger problem then people that use their single car garages for storage. If they have sufficient parking in the driveway that accesses the garage, storage (or other use) should be allowed.
I thought this was a free country?? why should I use my parking for what you want me to? Rents are expensive already by imposing this renters will pay more for that 1 bedroom they renting out from someone. the squeeze is on..... mo money mo money mo money!!!!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,090,546 times
I used my garage as an art studio. hubby parked it in the driveway. many people I know use it as a bedroom. a garage also makes a great place for a party and your guests to gather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii