Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm Alex. Im a 26 y/o female who is currently living in New York and will hopefully be offered a job in Honolulu (I will know in a week or so).

I am looking into some location options for where to live and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am hoping to make 65-70k per year. I am currently making 58k and renting a studio apartment for 1,100 in NY, so I'm assuming that I will be just fine living in Hawaii with the updated salary. This is a little bit about me and what I am looking for:

I am a very outdoorsy/active person who enjoys hiking, swimming, bodyboarding, surfing, running, biking, snorkeling, and currently getting scuba certified. I am a creative and social person who likes to make things, stay active, hang out with friends, and I am very optimistic and friendly. Im not a big drinker or partier but I do enjoy eating and doing activities with friends, especially if that envolves hanging at the beach.

I am looking for an area to live that is not too far of a commute from where my work would be (close to Ala Moana Center). I prefer to be able to walk or bike there (up to hour long bike commute), but if there is an area that is a little farther that would suite me best I would be interested. I am open to the idea of purchasing a car or moped. I am looking for somewhere safe since I am a 5 foot tall petite female and I will be living by myself. I am looking for a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom somewhere in the range of 900- 1400. Based on what Ive seen on Craigslist it seems attainable (Please correct me if Im wrong). Is this price range realistic if I'd like to have parking included?

I want to live somewhere quiet, peaceful, and safe. I'd love to be within walking distance of a beach (preferably a not so crowded beach), and to rent a tiny house or apartment in a low-rise. Id rather not live in a high rise in the heart of the busy city. I would love to live in an area with a nice friendly community. I am really interested in immersing myself in the culture so I don't want to isolate myself to much. I've heard that the South West part of Oahu is great, as well as Kailua. Im still doing research and I don't want to do too much more until I receive an offer for the job, but was hoping that I could get some feedback on suggestions/ advice/ ANYTHING really .

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoss View Post
I am looking for a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom somewhere in the range of 900- 1400. Based on what Ive seen on Craigslist it seems attainable (Please correct me if Im wrong). Is this price range realistic if I'd like to have parking included?

I want to live somewhere quiet, peaceful, and safe. I'd love to be within walking distance of a beach (preferably a not so crowded beach), and to rent a tiny house or apartment in a low-rise. Id rather not live in a high rise in the heart of the busy city.
You aren't going to find anything "quiet, peaceful, and safe" - walking distance to the beach (not a crowded beach) in a low-rise/tiny house with parking in that budget. If you open yourself up to very rough around the edges, not particularly safe, peaceful, tiny/cramped, old fixtures, no parking, not by the beach, perhaps even a sketchy area - that budget might work.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Sharing a house might be a good way to get used to the area. If you rent a room in a house, then there will be folks there to give you advice on things as well as keep your rent within budget.

Kaimuki might work, it's an older neighbor hood of mostly houses but if you were biking, there'd be a hill involved. Diamond Head area, but expensive there. Anything within a two or three mile of Ala Moana would work. That would include Waikiki. too, although that can be noisy and crowded.

Almost all buses go to Ala Moana which has a nice beach across the street, so close to a bus line would also work, but don't get too far from Ala Moana because even buses get stuck in traffic.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sharing a house might be a good way to get used to the area. If you rent a room in a house, then there will be folks there to give you advice on things as well as keep your rent within budget.

Kaimuki might work, it's an older neighbor hood of mostly houses but if you were biking, there'd be a hill involved. Diamond Head area, but expensive there. Anything within a two or three mile of Ala Moana would work. That would include Waikiki. too, although that can be noisy and crowded.

Almost all buses go to Ala Moana which has a nice beach across the street, so close to a bus line would also work, but don't get too far from Ala Moana because even buses get stuck in traffic.
Ala Moana is a good central location to live and if your work is in that location, even better!!

http://www.apartments.com/ala-moana-...i/studio-beds/

Affordable Town Location - Near Ala Moana... - HomeAway Honolulu

The bus schedule:
TheBus

Best of luck with the Job.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:51 PM

140 posts, read 189,316 times
Quote:
Hello!

I'm Alex. Im a 26 y/o female who is currently living in New York and will hopefully be offered a job in Honolulu (I will know in a week or so).

I am looking into some location options for where to live and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am hoping to make 65-70k per year. I am currently making 58k and renting a studio apartment for 1,100 in NY, so I'm assuming that I will be just fine living in Hawaii with the updated salary. This is a little bit about me and what I am looking for:
I'm surprised this hasn't already been mentioned since it comes up here in most threads like this, but have you compared the cost of living to where you are now? Many people come to Hawaii with a new job, thinking they are getting a raise, only to discover it's a complete illusion due to the very high cost of living in HI. Not just rent, but food, electric and more.

It is not clear to me from your post if you're coming to HI because of the raise, or just because you'd love to live in HI. If the latter perhaps it's not important to you if you're getting a real raise. But either way, I'd recommending researching the cost of living so you are clear on what you'll be taking on.

BTW most employers are well aware of the much higher cost of living but many will try to make it sound like they are giving you a great raise without mentioning that. The more you know the more you should feel comfortable negotiating for the highest amount possible, from a strictly money based perspective I'd not even consider moving to Hawaii from most locations for just an extra 7K. Of course HI is beautiful and you may have other motivations, I'm just saying don't let the excitement get in the way knowing the facts and saying "look, I need 70K minimum to make this move".

Old 07-27-2015, 02:57 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,115,533 times
Quote:

I am looking for an area to live that is not too far of a commute from where my work would be (close to Ala Moana Center). I prefer to be able to walk or bike there (up to hour long bike commute), but if there is an area that is a little farther that would suite me best I would be interested. I am open to the idea of purchasing a car or moped. I am looking for somewhere safe since I am a 5 foot tall petite female and I will be living by myself. I am looking for a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom somewhere in the range of 900- 1400. Based on what Ive seen on Craigslist it seems attainable (Please correct me if Im wrong). Is this price range realistic if I'd like to have parking included?

I want to live somewhere quiet, peaceful, and safe. I'd love to be within walking distance of a beach (preferably a not so crowded beach), and to rent a tiny house or apartment in a low-rise. Id rather not live in a high rise in the heart of the busy city. I would love to live in an area with a nice friendly community.

You can pretty much cross 1 bdrms off your search list. That will be impossible with your criteria for under $1,400.

It is very hard to find decent, safe and quiet low-rise units on Oahu. Unlike many parts of the mainland, walk-up buildings here are not the nicest. There are a few exceptions but they are rare and hard to find. Unfortunately changes to zoning laws and building code has made it virtually impossible for landlords to make improvements to low rise buildings without the need to completely demolish and build a (significantly smaller) brand new building. So you have a mix of really old, dilapidated walk up buildings and newer high rise buildings.

And there is no such thing as a tiny stand-alone house that rents for $1,400 on Oahu. It would have to be a smaller unit inside a larger house (in-law).

Based on your needs/wants, your best bet is a studio in Waikiki. Don't expect anything nice for $1,400 (not incl parking). To get the lowest rent move in during the end of summer (September-October). Studio prices fluctuate monthly because demand from tourists and students rises and falls dramatically throughout the year. You could save yourself $1,000-$2,000/year (or more) by picking the right time to move into Waikiki. Be aware studios are small in Honolulu compared to the mainland. 300 SF is pretty typical. In Waikiki the smallest ones get down to 200 SF.

Avoid buying a car if you are comfortable with uber/taxi, public transportation and cycling. Car ownership is particularly expensive in Honolulu. Without a car, at your salary and living in a small place, you could put away a very comfortable amount for retirement/down payment on home/etc and live very well in Honolulu.

Last edited by pj737; 07-27-2015 at 04:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 AM

430 posts, read 640,867 times
What you're looking for doesn't exist! You'll be living in a run down disgusting apartment that isn't safe at all. Ala Moana is a seedy area. Look up the strip clubs and hostess bars in that part of town and you'll see what I mean. Do you know what human trafficking is? You'll be in the hub.

It's kind of funny you don't want to be in a busy city but you want to bike to work in a busy city. Do you have no idea what Honolulu is like? That's like saying "I want to live in the country so I'm moving to Manhattan".

Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM

834 posts, read 1,220,359 times
I would compare the area around Ala Moana with the LIC/Williamsburg of the early 90's. Empty stretches, semi industrialized, shady characters walking around, not safe at night, much car traffic during day time, johns looking for hookers and drugs.

Having said that you might find a loft or garage like space with bathroom you could live in. But as a single female being new in town I would only recommend that after you know the lay of the land and its often peculiar inhabitants. Best to start off with an already established roommate and firming up that job situation you are supposed to get.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
To get the lowest rent move in during the end of summer (September-October).
That can be a tough time to find cheap rentals as the UH students have snapped up all the good ones by then.......

I do agree for mid-range rentals and higher......

Old 08-02-2015, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
I would suggest you check out places in the Moiliili neighborhood. Lived there for three years and it was great. Its just on the other side of the Ala wai canal, from Waikiki. So you will be able to easily bike your way to Ala Moana and to the beaches. Also close to a great ~3 mile walk/run/bike path/route that goes around the canal. I did live in one of the few High-rises here but there are like only two in this area and its not intimidating at all. Rent was right around 1400 at the time (over 3 yrs ago). Had friends who lived in small house apartments just north of this neighborhood closer to the university. So that could be another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: