Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times

Advertisements

Oh, doesn't it drive you crazy when they do that - put everything in its own bag, or only like 2-3 things in a bag? I combine them too. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I don't usually explain anything, just say, thank you dear, but I don't need all these bags... and leave it at that.

I think some people must have a cow if every package of meat, every household cleaning product, every greeting card, is not in its own little bag. I mean, do you really think it will hurt a pair of socks to be in with the dishsoap? But you know the baggers are just following the rules they were taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
everyone has some good points. still not convinced either way. what am i going to do with all the kaka? can't through it down the toilet. and, what about baby and adult disposable diapers? disposable, but at what cost to the environment? heard it takes a gazillion years for them to break down.

yep. the plastic bags make their way to the oceans and confuses the birds into thinking that they are something to eat.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,607 times
I prefer plastic, we use them to pick up after the dog.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 AM

156 posts, read 805,905 times
Well, it looks like reusable canvas bags is best for environment.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Default Time-Biodegradable Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
What do you all think? Should Hawaii do away with plastic bags?

On the other hand, at my house, we usually re-use the plastic store bags for trash bags (when we aren't expecting company!)...we keep a small trash can in the kitchen with one of the store bags and then transfer that bag into a regular trash can after making dinner. Makes for less messy trash... I guess we will still bring home plastic when we do larger shopping trips?

What is your vote on this one?
There are so many uses for the plastic bags. I prefer them. The problem is that they are not biodegradable.

I'll bet that when a few large cities, or a few states, ban the current variety, some enterprising company will discover a way to make biodegradable plastic bags that last long enough for all those uses we have found (maybe a month or two?),and then self destruct. If we can invent a microchip that goes between the shoulders of a dog and identifies that dog, what's so hard about time-biodegradable plastic?

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Hank

Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
There are so many uses for the plastic bags. I prefer them. The problem is that they are not biodegradable.

I'll bet that when a few large cities, or a few states, ban the current variety, some enterprising company will discover a way to make biodegradable plastic bags that last long enough for all those uses we have found (maybe a month or two?),and then self destruct. If we can invent a microchip that goes between the shoulders of a dog and identifies that dog, what's so hard about time-biodegradable plastic?

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Hank
i'm pretty sure the biodegradable plastic bags, take-out containers and utensils already exist. there's a restaurant here that uses them, but i can't remember the name of the establishment. apparently, they cost more than the current variety.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Like the forks and knives made from sugar cane?

(Link to a photo that explains...)
Politics in the Zeros » Forks and knives made from sugar cane

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM

thanks cyn. yep that's what i was talking about. i saw a show on biodegradables and they were made mostly of corn starch. here's the link: Compostable, Biodegradable BioPlastics (http://www.worldcentric.org/store/bioplastics.htm - broken link)

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 83,892 times
from what i understand, plastic bags are very harmful. not only do they find their way into the ocean, but i hear that the mere production of them in awful for the environment. i use the reusable ones, and they are just now growing in popularity in dfw, tx. a bagger seemed so confused the other day when i asked her to NOT stuff things in the plastic bags. i am hoping it will catch on. along with the banning of plastic bottles, that would be nice.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
OK...after my last Hamakua coast drive and my few days in Puako, I am convinced. We should ban plastic bags from grocery stores. I can't believe how many bags I saw wrapped around tree branches this week. So sad. Those of us who need them can buy a box for a few dollars to use for our needs....but there has to be some way to cut down on this problem for the sake of our environment, especially our ocean.

Try reading this article, it might work for us too?
BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Irish bag tax hailed success
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: