Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Katie the Pest will herd anything, even butterfly shadows, although she's not been successful with that. Okay, well back to on topic: border collies are pretty well designed for the climate. They know when to go to the beach and herd surfers.

And to design a dog house for a border collie in a tropical climate we would have to:
1. make the controls for the air conditioner big enough for paws?
2. put a lanai for them to watch the sheep while in the shade? (Get sheep for them to watch?)
3. Plant trees to keep the sheep and dog shady along with the house?
4. Get some thicker shoji screen panels.

I've lived in that house in the second pic, right down to the sag in the floor, stainless counter sink, and 50's era cabinets. Of course, the house was in Kula, but it was the same house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
My first house looked like that, I think it was made in 1951. It was pretty well cared for, but it was like me, required more and more maintenance.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
This one (the one in the second picture) was built in '51, although it's on the Big Island and not Kula - be nice if we could move it to Kula, but don't think that's gonna happen. Don't think the builder worked very far outside of this area since his other job was with the sugar company as a cabinet builder.

It's our current project house and we are at the beginning of the project. It will take a couple of years to get it more or less rehabilitated. We're still at the patching the leaks in the roof stage, although we've gotten past the basic utilities stage.

It was built in 1951 and was lived in until 1985 when it's people got a job on Oahu but planned on coming back. They never did, although the relatives who lived nearby kept an eye on the house and mowed directly around it. We have about twenty seven some years worth of maintenance to catch up on so it's a bit of a slog. The location is good, though. Everything else is much easier to fix than location.

I'm still trying to decide how fifties we should go with it. Maybe Mid Century Modern as a generic theme instead of specifically 50's. I suppose there is the sub-genre of Mid Century Modern Tropical Look, although how that would be defined isn't in a lot of decorating books.

Of the three houses, this one is the most comfortable to live in. When it's been ungawdly hot these past several weeks, it's been quite comfortable at the house - even with the interior ceilings out and nothing up there except an aluminum roof. I'm not sure if it's the lack of ceiling which is keeping it cool or just the rest of the old style construction which is doing it. Maybe I'll put some movable vents up in the ceiling and insulate it, too. If it gets too hot, open the vents and let hot air out? (Or would hot air come in?) Although, I suppose we could put the new ceiling in (wish they still made canec) and then see if it needs vents.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
Quote:

I'm still trying to decide how fifties we should go with it. Maybe Mid Century Modern as a generic theme instead of specifically 50's. I suppose there is the sub-genre of Mid Century Modern Tropical Look, although how that would be defined isn't in a lot of decorating books.
You're going to need one of these;

Huge Vintage 1950′s Hawaiian Girl Lamp Signed Plastart Hula 38 tall 22 pounds - Hawaiian Lamps

This one seems to have a great option, it converts into 'some kind of a major award'.

How could you possibly go wrong?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 AM

Well, maybe it's a good thing we aren't up to the lamp stage yet. That one is interesting, but somehow I don't think we are gonna get it.

I'm thinking something tropicalish, something fiftyish, something beachish. Not quite sure how to get there, though.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,001 times
Quote:
Well, maybe it's a good thing we aren't up to the lamp stage yet. That one is interesting, but somehow I don't think we are gonna get it.

I'm thinking something tropicalish, something fiftyish, something beachish. Not quite sure how to get there, though.
I don't think you'll have much trouble finding one, but you may have to ship it in. The sand dollar lamp is cool....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3615c03dee.jpg

http://cdnll.touchofclass.com/images/xxl/Z611-001.jpg

Old 08-14-2015, 08:12 PM

Those are two good choices. If the pineapple were more realistically colored and the shade was wider and shorter to give it more of a mid-century feel, it would be about perfect. I'm thinking maybe pineapples for the kitchen theme since it's got pineapple yellow formica counter tops. With the chrome trim, of course. We may build in some recessed lighting, too, although I don't think recessed lights were very typical of either Hawaiian architecture or the fifties.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,464 times
Hawaii has a tropical climate cooled by trade winds. Normal daily temperatures in Honolulu average 73°f (22°c) in February and 81°f (27°c) in August; the average wind speed is a breezy 11.3 mph (18.2 km/h). The record high for the state is 100°f (38°c), set at Pahala on 27 April 1931, and the record low is 12°f (−11°c), set at Mauna Kea Observatory on 17 May 1979.

Rainfall is extremely variable, with far more precipitation on the windward (northeastern) than on the leeward side of the islands. Mt. Waialeale, Kauai, is reputedly the rainiest place on earth, with a mean annual total of 486 in (1,234 cm). Kukui, Maui, holds the US record for the most precipitation in one year—739 in (1,878 cm) in 1982. Average annual precipitation in Honolulu (1971–2000) was 18.3 in (46.5 cm). In the driest areas—on upper mountain slopes and in island interiors, as in central Maui—the average annual rainfall is less than 10 in (25 cm). Snow falls at the summits of Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, and Haleakala—the highest mountains. The highest tidal wave (tsunami) in the state's history reached 56 ft (17 m).

Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 AM

Yup, them's the conditions. So what's the best way to build a house to go with those conditions?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preetlove View Post
Hawaii has a tropical climate cooled by trade winds. Normal daily temperatures in Honolulu average 73°f (22°c) in February and 81°f (27°c) in August; the average wind speed is a breezy 11.3 mph (18.2 km/h).
That is HILARIOUS We'd all love to be experiencing 81F in August right now, I guess you could if you walk around at 4am. ha ha ha

Trade winds??????? I've heard of them - just not this summer. ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii