Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 AM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times

Advertisements

What are the different ways to define native Hawaiian ancestry?

Is it what was considered the 'on-drop-blood' rule of the US Jim Crow days? That would not work because many folks who never touched the island have a certain percentage of polynesian DNA. Not that I am aware of, but there's no specific Hawaiian DNA study or databank to compare results too. Any DNA results would be too close to other polynesian populations ( i.e. Tahiti, Fiji)

More than 51% of polynesian DNA A fair way but only on paper. That is a very brutal way of ripping families apart. King Damocles, anyone?

Traceable western style documents: Record keeping in the islands was spotty especially in the early days. Certainly more oriented towards Westerners than the native population. So many native Hawaiians died from western diseases which weren't recorded. Doesn't appear to be a just system and would leave many deserving folks out.

Oral traditions of record keeping: Seems to be the politically correct way to do this, but this is hard to verify and prone to abuse. With 10 generations you'll have 1,000+ ancestors. Who is able to recite these? Or at least one complete line?

Time spent in Hawaii Along the lines of i.e. being born here, living here for a number of generations, spending more than 200 days per year here. Very democratic, but will only manifest the status quo.

Physical appearance/looks/name Sounds silly but this is how it currently is played by the media and many individuals. Which should enrage true-native feeling Hawaiians but is often tolerated for political gains. Yet also causes mockery by many to eliminate those political gains. The habit of westerners was there from the time of contact to add a Hawaiian sounding name to theirs for various reasons, like political gains / to compensate for the lack of 'native' appearance.

Combination A combination of ways from this list (or additional ones). Example: DNA test for 10% polynesian heritage + documents for at least 3 generations of living in Hawaii + living here for most of the year. A compromise for sure. But able to adjust as time goes by.

What else am I missing?

This is NOT a sovereignty discussion but to get some deeper insights of what would be the most fair way; knowing that there isn't a perfect one and history can't be turned back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 02:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
This is the way DHHL defines which is the only way you can get a piece of the Hawaiian Home Lands

Department of Hawaiian Home Lands | Applying for Hawaiian Home Lands

Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM

Interesting read. Looks like they really tried and think it through, at least back in 1921. But if DHHL uses numerical assumptions as evidence for 50% heritage, eliminate adopted heirs, and don't allow DNA as proof, no wonder the leases are not getting handed out as they were supposed to.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
What are the different ways to define native Hawaiian ancestry?
The bar is relatively low for Kamehameha Schools...
Three Steps to Applying for Hawaiian Ancestry Verification | Ho'oulu Hawaiian Data Center

And even lower still for Kanaʻiolowalu (the Native Hawaiian Roll)...
https://www.kanaiolowalu.org/registernow/

Old 08-15-2015, 06:35 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I've contacted the White House to see how they got their fake Hawaiian birth certificate. Once I learn the system, I too can be a native! Blue eyes and all.

Just kidding
Mahalo.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM

THX, Jonah!

KHS seems to rely on your own assessment & honesty:
Hawaiian ancestry?
Mark YES if the person is of Hawaiian or part Hawaiian ancestry via blood ancestors or NO if the person is not of Hawaiian ancestry.

Kanaiolowalu is leaving it up to you:
I have a significant cultural, social or civic connection to the Native Hawaiian community.But in exchange for political support: I affirm the unrelinquished sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people, and my intent to participate in the process of self-governance.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
THX, Jonah!

KHS seems to rely on your own assessment & honesty:
Hawaiian ancestry?
Mark YES if the person is of Hawaiian or part Hawaiian ancestry via blood ancestors or NO if the person is not of Hawaiian ancestry.
It's not quite that simple. For Kamehameha schools, one needs certified copies of birth certificates, marriage records, death certificates, court documents, etc. that list the "race/ethnicity" of at least one biological ancestor as "Hawaiian" or "Native Hawaiian," going back at least three generations. The process is fairly straightforward and laid out in the "Hawaiian Ancestry Verification Guidebook"...
http://apps.ksbe.edu/datacenter/site...GuideRev17.pdf

Quote:
Kanaiolowalu is leaving it up to you:
I have a significant cultural, social or civic connection to the Native Hawaiian community.But in exchange for political support: I affirm the unrelinquished sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people, and my intent to participate in the process of self-governance.
At the minimum, Kanaʻiolowalu requires only a birth certificate that lists the "race/ethnicity" of at least one parent as "Hawaiian" or "Native Hawaiian." However, if one lacks that, the folks at Kanaʻiolowalu are willing to accept a "Kama'aina Witness Form"...
Kama'aina Witness Form

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
My dad taught at Kamehameha and he said you're Hawaiian if you're 1/16 Hawaiian because the blood line is so diluted by now.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
I get the Kaamaina discount because of my dad working for Kamehameha. I've kept all my old high school IDs, his too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii