Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:55 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Ewa a couple of times, hot and windless. I know a few people who had lived there and said they were glad to be away from there, said it's like an oven all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
I've only been to Ewa a couple of times, hot and windless. I know a few people who had lived there and said they were glad to be away from there, said it's like an oven all the time.
Generally,the traffic and jet noise are far worse than the oven like quality

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Generally,the traffic and jet noise are far worse than the oven like quality
Double wall construction, good windows. Hardly ever hear a plane.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You are more likely to be killed by a gunshot wound than contract either rat lungworm disease or leptospirosis.
Please don't downplay the seriousness of both of these diseases in the islands. People need to be aware of what's possible and act in accordance with hotzcatz's suggestions.

Maybe you live in an urban jungle and never touch nature, but we do here on the Big Island. Rat Lung worm is deadly. It is also permanent in most cases. The worm enters the brain and never leaves. If you live, the suffering is truly awful. There may be some folks who got a light case of it....but there are some who died and also some who live with horrendous symptoms. It is easy enough to avoid by eating absolutely no raw produce anywhere but your own home where you know you have washed it sufficiently. Do not touch any slugs or snails without wearing gloves.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Double wall construction, good windows. Hardly ever hear a plane.
Doesn't that mean A.C.? Not a wise choice if you can avoid it.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:02 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You are more likely to be killed by a gunshot wound than contract either rat lungworm disease or leptospirosis.
Hawaii is one of the safest states in the US? Just heard it on the radio.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I used to live right under the flight path of the planes taking off. Everyone would just stop talking when a plane took off and then continue the conversation after it left. Folks that weren't used to it would look at us funny for the first few times it happened to them. I'd rather plane noise than heat, but Ewa can be nice if you find a place that the trade winds reach. The beach there is lovely.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 PM

Hawaii safe from what? Remember radio is just a couple steps back from the internet, and we all know all that's true.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Wear sunscreen and don't forget the back of your ears while snorkeling.

Actually, sunscreen is directly linked to killing the reefs. It washes off in the ocean, or into your shower drain and then is pumped out into the ocean (no treatment plant can remove the chemicals), and bleaches coral. The same ingredients are also cancerous to humans, and mutate or kill fish. When the coral die, it kills off a lot of fish populations too that rely on the coral for their life cycle, so it's not just the coral that die.

Apparently just one drop of sunscreen in 6 football field-size pools would be enough to kill coral. Worst is when you wear the sunscreen to go snorkeling over heavily-touristed reef areas, so that many people slathered in the stuff are floating directly over the coral they're killing nearly every day of the year - those areas seem to have the worst bleaching.

It is recommended instead to wear protective clothing, like rash guards, and hats in addition when on land. Many sun-proof clothes and rashguards have collars to protect your neck, and are made to be cool in hot weather. If the OP has access, such clothes can often be bought online, you don't necessarily have to wait until you're in Hawaii to drop a small fortune on tourist-priced surf clothing.

You can also add sun block with all natural ingredients - many plants and oils have natural SPF. I also burn in just 5 minutes of sun, so I have to combine all of these things together to protect myself. I also try not to be out on the surface of the ocean, or on a beach, in the middle of the day, which makes avoiding sun damage a lot easier.

Interestingly, I've found wearing compression stockings while snorkeling is an awesome way to block sun off your legs, while at the same time preventing jellyfish stings and minor scrapes from sea life, as well as creating far more energy to be able to snorkel or swim for many many hours without getting tired. So that is another possibility to consider. I like them because they are much cooler in hot weather than wetsuits.

I am surprised many people in this forum don't seem to know about this sunscreen destruction to Hawaii natural resources. Here are a few articles that discuss it so you can learn more if you never heard of it before:

Chemical in sunscreen is a coral killer, study says - Orlando Sentinel

Swimmers' Sunscreen Killing Off Coral

New Study Shows Many Sunscreens are Accelerating not Preventing Cancer

Sunscreen protects your skin, but damages the reef | Diving | KeysNet

Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Rat Lung worm is deadly. It is also permanent in most cases.
Rarely deadly, rarely symptomatic permanently is my understanding. A serious concern, nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: