Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 981 times

Advertisements

Hello I work for SOUTHWEST Airlines and the rumor is we are going to start flying to Hawaii soon>
Anyway, I have heard people say that when a company has job openings in Hawaii, they have to hire locals, or a certain percentage of locals. Is this true or just a rumor... some people say its a law like foreign countries have, but its a US state, so I don't think its a law.
I couldn't find anything on google so any information would be helpful. I would like to transfer there if we start flying to Hawaii soon.
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Nobody is forced to hire locals - most do since newcomers mostly leave in a couple of years or less - nor aren't well versed how business is done here.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,179,073 times
Oh god I hope this is true. I banked almost one million SW points hoping they would start service to Hawaii.

To the orifinal topic, I would think Southwest would simply honor whatever is their current employee transfer/relocation policy.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

To the orifinal topic, I would think Southwest would simply honor whatever is their current employee transfer/relocation policy.
Unlikely Southwest flying to Hawaii.

Even more unlikely, they'd use Southwest employees if they did.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,272,677 times
It's true a lot of airline companies have tried to operate to the islands. But a majority close down after a few years.
Heck, Aloha airlines closed down after 62 years in 2008? The airline went Bankrupt. No other airline company coming into the Islands, since has been able to take that slot next too Hawaiian Airlines, they fade away after a time? They claim it's the expenses to run out here, in fuel costs, ect, ect, but not right now mine you, before when fuel was high? It is still expensive to operate out of Hawaii!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 PM

Had Southwest not given up the 717 fleet to Delta they could've given the inter island market a go.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,272,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Had Southwest not given up the 717 fleet to Delta they could've given the inter island market a go.
Interesting! Thanks whtviper

Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Interesting! Thanks whtviper
To expand on that since you seem interested and it's not a trade secret:

Aircraft only make money when they are flying - 717 aircraft are perfect as far as jets goes for inter island as they can take off very quickly after landing - 737 aircraft on the other hand are not only bigger (hence need more peak periods to fill the plane) typically need a lot more time on the ground to cool down before the next takeoff therefore lowering efficiency - it's one of the challenges Aloha Airlines had in competing in the Go!/Hawaiian fare war - the Aloha 737 were not efficient (although there have been some improvements in newer models)

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,126,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
To expand on that since you seem interested and it's not a trade secret:

Aircraft only make money when they are flying - 717 aircraft are perfect as far as jets goes for inter island as they can take off very quickly after landing - 737 aircraft on the other hand are not only bigger (hence need more peak periods to fill the plane) typically need a lot more time on the ground to cool down before the next takeoff therefore lowering efficiency - it's one of the challenges Aloha Airlines had in competing in the Go!/Hawaiian fare war - the Aloha 737 were not efficient (although there have been some improvements in newer models)
Viper, how much of an impact will crashing oil prices have on airfare? My understanding is jet fuel (when oil was well over $100/barrel) accounted for 30-40% of the total operating cost of an airline for a flight between Hawaii and the west coast. With oil in the mid to high 20's now, does this mean we may be in for some price cuts on airfare?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Viper, how much of an impact will crashing oil prices have on airfare? My understanding is jet fuel (when oil was well over $100/barrel) accounted for 30-40% of the total operating cost of an airline for a flight between Hawaii and the west coast. With oil in the mid to high 20's now, does this mean we may be in for some price cuts on airfare?
This is complicated. Short answer: airfare is based on what passengers are willing to pay, regardless of oil prices. Hawaii is even more complicated - record tourism for 4 straight years puts pressure on airlines to not lower prices despite falling oil - simply because the planes are full.

Another point - airlines lost $50 billion plus 2000-2010 - and in that timeframe Aloha went out of business and Hawaiian went bankrupt as little as a bit more than 10 years ago / so there is some catch up happening.

Ultimately if demand slackens airfare will go down.

Really want to see lower airfare? Hope for another airline to flood capacity with a fare war like Go! did, although that didn't turn out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii