Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times

Advertisements

I am wondering this, not that we are going to jump on a plane and move to Hawaii.

Take someone like me or many others that live in my area. I see the ocean every day. I can look out right now and see the Channel Islands off the coast. Spending time in the water, around boats, surfing, sailing, playing at the beach is an average day or at least week in the life of Soon2bnSurprise. I live with the sand in my feet.

The question is can someone like me adapt to living in Hawaii easier than someone from Iowa or Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:00 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am wondering this, not that we are going to jump on a plane and move to Hawaii.

Take someone like me or many others that live in my area. I see the ocean every day. I can look out right now and see the Channel Islands off the coast. Spending time in the water, around boats, surfing, sailing, playing at the beach is an average day or at least week in the life of Soon2bnSurprise. I live with the sand in my feet.

The question is can someone like me adapt to living in Hawaii easier than someone from Iowa or Arizona?
I'd do something about the 'sand in the feet' first. That's gotta be uncomfortable, and, more than likely, the number one precursor to toenail fungus. Then primary reason why people move to Hawaii in the first place.

Hope this helps

As for whether or not you could adapt, why would you have to? It's not as if you'd be on the menu over here.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,065,938 times
I'm not sure, perhaps since you'd already be from an island, you'd understand the island mentality much better than folks from non-islands. However, when you met something unfamiliar you may have more difficulty assimilating it since it would be more unexpected. Folks from Iowa or Arizona are not going to expect Hawaii to be anything like where they are from, at least, one would hope so, so when they met something unfamiliar it would be expected.

Does that make any sense?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 AM

LOL,

Love you all, I will work on getting that sand in my feet taken care of. Would not want to lose a toe or a foot to fungus.

I am not really from an island, we just have them off the coast. I have been to the Channel Islands though and love them, although that is far from the same as the Hawaiian Islands. For the most part the Channel Islands are a National park and except for Catalina and to a much lesser extent San Nicolas and San Clemente Islands which are controlled by the Navy and off limits to the General public.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 AM

430 posts, read 640,712 times
No because you can't live in the water

Old 01-29-2016, 01:00 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Not really. Love of sand and surf is pretty common, and a small part of living in Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-29-2016, 09:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Most people who come from the midwest to the Islands. When they arrive on Oahu. The first couple of years are fine.
After that. They get tired of being confinded to the Islands. They are used to driving longer distances, back home. It’s harder for them to accustom to the islands, than someone who grows up by the Ocean.
That was some of the comments made to me when i was in the Navy, and new people transfered into the ships i was on for there first time on Oahu. And sometimes the first time away from home.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM

LOL, Funny you bring that up Scott about not being able to deal with being confined. I have similar thoughts when I am on land.

When I was 18 I was making my first trip to Utah from California, on my own. I remember getting somewhere near St. George and felt closed in because of the mountains. I was literally missing the vast openness of the ocean. When I was 20 I spent two years in Iowa and did fine but I had mentally prepared myself because of the Utah trip experience. When I was a kid we always had boats, I had my own small boat from about age 13 till 18. Spending time on the water was something that was part of who I am. I would not want to say that living by the water is an advantage over someone that is land locked, I just was wondering if it played a factor.

By the way, my true goal in life is to sail a boat from here to there, spend a few months visiting, and then head North to catch the ride back.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:08 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,684,438 times
It's easy to adjust to the climate of Hawaii for anyone. Some people have a problem living on an island and get "island fever." On the mainland it is easy to go from state to state, climate to climate. In Hawaii you can go around the island, or to another island. I don't think someone from land locked states would have a problem adjusting.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 PM

521 posts, read 734,655 times
I really think it's hard to know until you actually live there. I've met people from AZ who love it and people from the beaches of SoCal who hate it. I think if you are wondering and considering moving there, to do it so you don't regret it and wonder. Just make sure you have a job or your finances in order so you can afford to come back.
Another option to try it out is to house swap. We did that and it worked out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii