Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times

Advertisements

It should slowly start returning to a more normal pattern this fall as El Niño fades and the ocean cools. At least that is what the weather service is predicting.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/break...nino-will-end/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
It should slowly start returning to a more normal pattern this fall as El Niño fades and the ocean cools. At least that is what the weather service is predicting.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/break...nino-will-end/
according to this expert... he says when you got "vog" it surpasses the rain. we been having allot of it most recently... and no rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rhZ8y_CWmQ

Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You may actually have to roll up your sleeves - hook up a hose - and water your grass and plants. Try it sometime. Do it after sunset.

eye sure will.... but when will the aquapher run out? if the rain does not replenish it. after watering my yard the water does not get deep enough so instead of watering I need to saturate.

thaks for your concern..

Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
[quote=Kawena;43570695] but when will the aquapher run out? [/QUOTE

Long after you, your kids, your grandkids, and great grandkids die.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
I have read that sea level rise may pose the most credible near-term threat to the water supply on each of the islands. As I understand it, as the sea level rises, so to does the sea water table below ground around the islands. Fresh water is collected underground in "cones". Is the sea level rise causes the ground water table to rise, it could begin to either contaminate the fresh water reserve or thin the lense of fresh water supply.

I read an article once that said Oahu's cone of fresh water is in better condition to protect itself than that of some of the other islands.

But the jist was that sea level rise may pose the biggest threat to water supply.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:39 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I can think of few things more ironic than people on an island worrying about lack of water.

It seems to me that the long term solution is desalination. Yes, I know it's more expensive than using the aquifers. But improving technology and increasing demand have a way of bringing costs down. (Consider how expensive flat-screen TVs were when they first came out.)

Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can think of few things more ironic than people on an island worrying about lack of water.

It seems to me that the long term solution is desalination. Yes, I know it's more expensive than using the aquifers. But improving technology and increasing demand have a way of bringing costs down. (Consider how expensive flat-screen TVs were when they first came out.)
what happens to the salt... after? it will be the only alternative thats for sure.

besides salt, what if the ocean water is??

Quote:
Former WHO Official: Fukushima plant is dumping nuclear waste into ocean on a daily basis; “There’s no foreseeable end to it… and nobody has any good ideas on how to stop it” — Japan gov’t worried that attempts to reduce leakage will cause even more radioactivity to flow into sea (VIDEO)
Former WHO Official: Fukushima plant is dumping nuclear waste into ocean on a daily basis; “There’s no foreseeable end to it… and nobody has any good ideas on how to stop it” — Japan gov’t worried that attempts to

Old 04-03-2016, 04:56 PM

[quote=whtviper1;43571710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
but when will the aquapher run out? [/QUOTE

Long after you, your kids, your grandkids, and great grandkids die.
you sure we got that much water... Hmmm.... how you know?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
No ohia forests would mean a huge loss of habitat for other native species, but also would threaten our water supply. In the mountains, native forest acts as a sponge for absorbing and releasing rainfall gradually, allowing aquifer recharge. In the high elevation cloud forests it traps moisture from clouds. Watershed ecosystem health has a direct impact on water quality and supply! Deforestation would also result in more sediment runoff which would harm the reef ecosystems.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...e-forests.html

Old 04-03-2016, 07:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post

you sure we got that much water... Hmmm.... how you know?
Let's see - no water rationing. Water is extremely cheap. Board of Water stating it has plenty even accounting for population growth. Apparently some people know.

Go water your grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii