Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

Oahu isn't anything like Maui. Much more congestion, much denser population, huge amount more traffic. If your kids are the kind who get into trouble, you'd probably not want Oahu because there's too many opportunities to get into trouble there. It's very much Big City.

Maui is very much like California in many places these days, but it's not as densely populated.

The two best schools in the state are Punahoa on Oahu and Hawaii Preparatory Academy on the Big Island. HPA does have dormitories, so your kids could go to school there no matter what island you're on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:10 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Maui is very much like California in many places these days, but it's not as densely populated.
How so? I get there fairly often but I haven't seen quite the influx of Hispanics or Silicon Valley types - nor is Oprah from CA - having lived in CA I don't see the resemblance.

(Although Maui and Hawaii in general could use better Mexican food)

Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Kids are the #1 reason I'd never move to Hawaii before they are 18.
Oh, and pray you don't need medical care on Maui.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 26,849 times
Having 5 haole kids aging from 6-16 all in Public Schools on the East Side of Oahu I have had zero problems. Kids are at Aina Haina, Niu Valley and Kaiser. School is what you make of it and how engaged the parents are at home. These schools have the IB program and AP classes if you kids want to be more challenged. It is a lot of work to finish the IB program in High School. Very much prepares them for College.

If your kids show respect to the culture, embrace a new way of life they will have no problems. If they are troublemakers, they will find trouble. MS and HS are tough times wherever you live, but with good parenting it won't matter if they are in California, Hawaii public or private. Personally I would not send my kids to the over-priced private schools and find the good schools on the East Side or Millilani.

I think it is a great place to raise children. But I repeat, embrace the culture. Leave your mainland needs/wants behind and embrace and everyone will be just fine.

These are based on my opinions and experiences having transplanted from the Mainland 4 years ago.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 AM

18 posts, read 26,849 times
Also, I would agree with Stan about kids/family members with any major health issues, its much better to be on Oahu.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island_dreamer View Post
Thanks to all who've replied so quickly!

A few have recommended Oahu, and the schools do seem better there (at least according to Greatschools ratings). Being a bigger city I can imagine traffic/crime is greater, but also lots more opportunities and things to do. All my island knowledge begins and ends with Maui, however, I have no practical experience with Oahu having only visited there once for just a few days. How much different is life on Oahu vs Maui? Can someone who's lived on both islands share some insights, comparisons, maybe even some practical examples?
I lived on Oahu for two years (Kaneohe as a Marine) and Maui for three years after I got out. Maui is Maui and I never did connect to Oahu. Of course part of that is the population and even though Maui is full of people there was still that vibe.

If/when I move back it'll be to Maui or Big Island or another outer island.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM

22 posts, read 31,419 times
I grew up haole in Hawaii in the 70s-80s. I know that's a long time ago, but I'm responding anyway . . . We lived on Oahu (Hawaii Kai, St Louis Heights, and Waikiki) most of the time and also upcountry in Maui (Kula).

I attended Punahou for a before we moved to California when I was a teen, and otherwise went to public schools in Honolulu and Maui.

My personal opinion, now that I have kids who are as old as I was when I attended Punahou, is that if I moved back to Oahu, I would not send my kids there. Although I enjoyed Punahou at the time, I wouldn't want my kids to develop what I believe is the elitist attitude that permeates Punahou. In fact, one of the main reason that I would never move to Hawaii with my kids is that I would hate to have them be part of the class dynamics that are so much more pronounced (in my opinion) in Hawaii than in California. Based on my family's income and race, we would fit more conveniently into the Punahou group if we returned now . . . but I couldn't, as an adult, feel comfortable in that role for me or them. There is so much economic disparity in Hawaii, which kids can oblivious to if they are in that bubble.

If I were in the position of the OP, I would have my kids go to a good public school (such as the ones that the poster who mentioned IB programs suggested), and let them experience more of the full picture of life if Hawaii is going to become their "home state." I would choose Oahu over Maui for the variety of experiences and activities available.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,276 times
The public schools in HI seem to have such a bad rep in these forums, with many saying they wouldn't put their kids in them, however, when I check schools in some the areas we're considering in Oahu, for example: Kalani High School, Kaimuki Middle School they have the same (greatschools.org) ratings as the area we're currently in 10/10, 9/10 respectively. What am I missing?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
The public schools in HI seem to have such a bad rep in these forums What am I missing?
Try some of the stories here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...c-schools.html

Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
The public schools in HI seem to have such a bad rep in these forums, with many saying they wouldn't put their kids in them, however, when I check schools in some the areas we're considering in Oahu, for example: Kalani High School, Kaimuki Middle School they have the same (greatschools.org) ratings as the area we're currently in 10/10, 9/10 respectively. What am I missing?
This forum receives a lot of negative posts about our schools from the same handful of forum members (see example above).

I can't speak for the other islands but there are great public schools on Oahu. They are just in the more affluent communities or in communities that (culturally) value education more than others.

There are good schools and terrible schools in every single state in the US. Oahu is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii