Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:50 PM

28 posts, read 35,198 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of renting part of our home out to tourists on Air BnB or similar webisites (we have a detached ohana type room). Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? Any tips?

I know about the Hawaii transient tax I would have to collect. Are there other tax implications I should know about? Anyone know if homeowner's insurance will cover this, or if not, is there a company that would insure short-term rentals?

I am located on the big island, Kona side if that makes a difference.

I would love to hear your stories. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,944,551 times
I use Airbnb for a Vacation Rental (whole house) on Kauai. I also use VRBO and Tripadvisor. They all bring me bookings, and I have had no major problems with the guests. I would think that Airbnb is better suited to just a "detached ohana type room". Your Homeowners insurance may not cover a short term rental. Ask them.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,679,652 times
When we rented our house out through VRBO, we looked at the competition in our neighborhood. We then knew (1) how busy they were, (2) what price to ask, (3) how to market our home by writing a decent narrative and posting good pictures. We tried to look at our home through the eyes of a prospective renter and wanted to look as good as possible, especially if there is a lot of choices.

You need to register with the State of Hawaii (www.hawaii.gov). They will tell you what taxes you need to collect and pay (both TA and GET). I filed my taxes quarterly, and also had to do an annual report. Things may have changed since we quit renting our house in 2010.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,915,541 times
"Anyone know if homeowner's insurance will cover this, or if not, is there a company that would insure short-term rentals?"

They have a web site for your question, and it basically says "ask your insurance company":

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...rk-with-airbnb

You have two issues:

1) Will my home insurance cover my damages if a renter burns my house down? MAYBE.

2) Will my home insurance cover the costs of skin grafts if a renter gets third degree burns while burning my house down and further sues me for a billion dollars because of [insert litigation reason]? HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:46 PM

151 posts, read 195,488 times
you need a lanlords policiy

And get an LLC for your house!

Last edited by GinaWeenie; 03-27-2016 at 12:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM

60 posts, read 100,721 times
Has anyone crunched the numbers to see if it is more profitable to vacation rent vs. long term traditional rent?

10% more? - probably not worth the headache
25% more? - hmmm.....
50% more? - might be worth it.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
Has anyone crunched the numbers to see if it is more profitable to vacation rent vs. long term traditional rent?

10% more? - probably not worth the headache
25% more? - hmmm.....
50% more? - might be worth it.
I could easily without much work whatsoever, AirBnB any of the single family homes I own and make well more than 50% here on Oahu vs. a long-term renter. It isn't even close.

Except.....

It would be illegal.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:07 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Tons more on the vacation rent, tons more hassle and wear and tear on the property.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Yup, tons more hassle. Cleanings between each rental, meeting to hand over keys or give access, some sort of lease agreement each time, etc. If you can rent out a unit long term at a profit, just go get another unit to rent out to make the additional money and save the bother of short term leases. We rent out our houses at a bit less than the going rate, one of them is even an official low income rental. We have had zero trouble from our renters since they don't want to mess up a sweet deal.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,944,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
I have been running a vacation rental on Kauai for 26 years. I do all the advertising, bookings, record keeping, taxes, etc. My son and his wife, who own a half interest, take care of the property, since they live nearby.

Last year we took in about $80,000 and had expenses of about $53,000. Net taxable income $27,000, but the expenses only count mortgage interest, not the whole mortgage payment, so the cash flow is less.

My kids would like to get out of the business, but we have another three years to go on the mortgage. If we rented it long term, we could get between $3000 and $3500/mo. The mortgage is about $1900/mo, including real estate taxes and insurance. The Hawaii General Excise tax would be About $123, maintenance perhaps $300, and association fees about $230. Leaves less than $500/mo ($6,000/yr) before income tax.

Vacation Rental is much more profitable, but the hassle factor is a serious consideration

Last edited by HankDfrmSD; 04-16-2016 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: more accurate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii