Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 AM

306 posts, read 336,680 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering how much it it to ship a vehicle island to island? If I'm going to be on Kauai, but find a good deal or a vehicle I want on Oahu, is it economical to ship it, or should I stick to looking for vehicles already on Kauai? I'm looking to get a cheap vehicle that will just get me from A to B (less then $3,500 range), so there won't be a large chance for price discrepancy.

Thank you!

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
About the only method to ship things inter-island that I know of (other than air freight) is Young Brothers barge service, so you could check their rates. We use them to ship various things inter-island and it isn't too bad for things put into 'mixed freight' or even one of their little containers. They have 8' x 8' containers that folks put their stuff in to be shipped. You have to go to the port and put them in and then go to the next port and take them out, but they aren't all that expensive. It's been several years since we've shipped much of anything, though, so checking their current rates would probably be best.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
Yeah, I just checked them out, prices are looking pretty good. Thank you very much!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM

They will take general freight, too, as well as cars so if you find things on other islands, you can get it moved inter-island pretty easily.

When choosing a car for Kauai, check to see what everyone else is driving there. Those cars would have repair people and parts available. Not all car companies have support on every island.

Honolulu is also crowded and urban, so they don't value things like big trucks there as much as the outer islands, so sometimes you can get pretty good deals on the larger vehicles.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
Yes, I have also checked the prizes, they are indeed good. There are some more options available online. Last month my friend transported his new XUV to NZ from Florida using the car transport service of an auto shipping company. He found the company online and according to him the vehicle shipping company provided him with the reliable vehicle shipping service.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM

From Florida to NZ is a long way to ship a car! However, I'm not sure if the big auto transports can fit in any Hawaiian ports other than Honolulu. There used to be a special auto barge that went inter-island, not sure if they still have it or not.

As far as I know, the big transport ships stop in Honolulu and unload the cars and cargo and then the cargo gets put on a barge for inter-island transport to the smaller ports that can't fit the big ocean cargo ships.

Sometimes folks would sail or motor their big fancy yachts to Hawaii and then those big boats wouldn't fit into the yacht harbors and would have to hang out in the barge harbors.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 PM

19 posts, read 15,312 times
The only one I can think of is by having a barge service. I suggest you start looking for barge services around your area and check their rates.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:35 PM

160 posts, read 287,812 times
My Kaua'i GF ordered a new Mazda 3 from Honolulu. If I recall the entire story correctly the Mazda dealership picked her up from HNL , drove her to the dealership, consumuate the deal, drove her back to airport, and dealership handled shipping the car to Nawiliwili Bay. They included the shipping cost into the final cost.
I suppose the dealership's already have island-to-shipping set up.
AND NO don't buy a Cooper from MINI of Hawaii. I already checked on service or lack therefore on Kaua'i!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: