Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times

Advertisements

Interesting article that nearly 1 tourist a week dies in Hawaii.

Watch out for those waves folks.

Way Too Many Tourists Are Dying In Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 PM

102 posts, read 119,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Good Article, yes people don't know that the currents and waves are much stronger then places like florida. Further Hawaii ocean floors tend to slope or dropoff more. Again the advice of doing research before visiting is very sound advice.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:54 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,586,037 times
It's those killer opihi.

Quiet, stealthy, and deadly....

'What happened to Uncle Walt?'

'I don't know, he was snorkeling out there a minute ago'

Duuuun duuun duun dun,,, uurrrppp, scuze me, dun

Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
There's something about Hawaiian vacations that many tourists forget to pack their brains along with the rest of their luggage. Some forget their good manners, too.

I suspect there's multiple reasons. Hawaii is generally a safe place. No snakes, no alligators, no poison ivy, etc., so they aren't looking for dangers. If they were visiting Alaska, they'd be cautious since everyone knows Alaska has bears and wolves and glaciers and other deadly things.

Added to it is that a lot of our visitors are swimming in the ocean for the first time and don't know a thing about currents, rocks, etc. They may feel like they are swimming stronger than usual because of the salt water buoying them up, yet that won't help with currents and rocks.

Then, there's the Hawaii Tourist Bureau touting this as a 'Paradise' and folks just KNOW that nothing bad can happen to them in Paradise. Although, 'Paradise' is also where a lot of people are hoping to go in their next phase, so perhaps it's some sort of 'I'm in Paradise so I should be dead' sort of thinking? Probably not really, but who knows, people can be pretty strange and they may not even know themselves what they're unconsciously thinking.

Plus, it's an expensive vacation, so they expect more since they paid more and there's probably an underlying persuasion that by paying a lot, they're safer somehow.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,418,360 times
And despite warning signs or flags during high surf, they continue to balance precariously on the rocks until that big wave crashes on them.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,586,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Plus, it's an expensive vacation, so they expect more since they paid more and there's probably an underlying persuasion that by paying a lot, they're safer somehow.
I was going to take off on my surfski one morning a few years back from Kama'ole One beach, had heard the surf breaking through the night, got down to the beach, and the surf was friggin giant. Six to eight foot faces, mostly shore break, but some barrels, all being generated by a large storm system SW of the Bigger Island. The Life Guards had set red flags out up and down the beach, but still, some tourists were trying to get into the water, probably lured by the lulls in between the sets, and the number of mostly brown skinned local kids out there body surfing, seemingly without any difficulty. You can almost hear the tourist logic, 'If some little local kid can go out, then why the hell shouldn't I?'
I didn't even bother getting the ski off my truck, no way I was going to chance losing it either getting out, or, worse yet, coming back in. Been there, done that.
So, I'm chatting with the life guards by the tower, and a rental car pulls into the HC spot on the south end of the park. A couple of elderly ladies, maybe in their late 70s, get out, as does a man, also in his 70's, who's using a walker. They all head for the path down to the beach, set up some beach chairs, and appear to be fine.
HOWEVER............ After a few minutes, and during a lull in the sets, they all get up, the man requires some help, and, with the two ladies assisting, they head for the water.
One of the LG's went down, before they got into the water, and warned them about the dangers of the ocean and how large the surf had been. The elderly man, still being supported mostly by the two ladies, told the LG, 'I've saved most of my life to be able to come here and swim in the ocean, and I'm going out.. Look, it's nice and calm'
About five minutes later a couple of LG's had to go out and get him, along with one of the ladies, after they got sucked out. Fortunately for them, they got beyond the shore break before the next set came in, the other lady had come back in after helping get Mr. Walker into the water.
I've spent a lot of time on and in the water during my slightly over two months here in the Islands, and, if I've learned one thing when it comes to tourists and the ocean, thinking, or saying, 'That is, BY FAR, the dumbest thing I've EVER seen someone do in the ocean', is only setting oneself up for the next, BY FAR, more idiotic ocean related incident.

It's the killer opihi, I'm certain of it.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,263,946 times
Agree Tourist are not thinking, about the currents. They should not go in unless they check with the
life guards. Then if okay, proceed with caution while in the water. Its like they think they are swimming
in a lake or backyard pool.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:54 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,117,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Just more anti-tourism nanny state nonsense.

As the statistics report, the majority of deaths are on the outer islands where there are more secluded beaches and... less people there to save them from their reckless abandon and own stupidity. Do we need to have warning signs the size of mainland style highway billboards on all our beaches? Do we need to fly planes constantly across our beaches with banners stating "current can be strong, please be careful"?

Nobody ever cares to acknowledge the importance of personal responsibility. It's as if every single facet of personal responsibility is put on the government nowadays.

If defiant and ignorant tourists ignore the omnipresent and more than plentiful signage warning of the common sense dangers then let them die. If they want to play on a secluded beach they need to understand it's SECLUDED and that means they need to be a little smarter and a little bit more skilled in the water than the average person if they want to jump in the water. The resources required to prevent the most idiotic people in society from killing themselves is staggering and unrealistic. You can't protect society from people that don't pay attention or blatantly ignore clear and obvious warning signs and have absolutely no respect for the power of mother nature.

It's call Darwinism at work.

In 20 years, everyone will need to sign a waiver and wear a life jacket before jumping in the ocean.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,565,274 times
Here's a pretty good list of guidelines put together by Larry Yepes, Owner at Monstah Glass Hawaii

-If you want go hiking DON'T go before dark- it gets pitch black and you might not find your way back or worse fall off a 400ft ledge. Dont go hiking if it just rained, or looks like it will soon rain. Flash floods and streams turn into raging rivers before you know it. Trails turn to mud pits and its easy to slide off a trail and never be seen again.Rain also loosens up the soil causing rock-slides. A rolling 3 ton boulder will kill you .Bring a fully charged cel phone in case things go bad and they can find you.
If you want to try surfing or bodyboarding obey the rule of thumb:
--if you cant swim in dont go out (your leash and board wont save you). they can break.
--Beginners ask hotel staff to show you beginner waves. Sign up for lessons would be better. Surf guides will take care of you.
--Visiting surfers know your limits and a lot of the surf breaks are far a 100 yards out or more, if you cant swim in dont surf that spot.
--Be respectful to the local residents while surfing local spots. Use common sense as you would crossing the street (look both ways before you go drop in). Same lineup rules apply here as they do everywhere else in the world.
-- Snorkelers beware of strong currents in surf zones and sealife. Yes there can be sharks while your taking gopro pics of that cute sea turtle. The sea turtle is the Tiger sharks favorite food, they might be nearby hunting them. Women on their periods should not go on offshore swims, surfs or dives.
--Swimmers remember the ocean is a lot harder to swim in then a pool, if you dont swim on a regular basis dont swim a 100 yards out on a marathon shore cruise. You might cramp or tire out quick. stay close to shore. AND remember you are on an island in the middle of the Pacific, so yes when you go for any water activities you just entered the food chain...and we're not on the top of it.
-- Stay away from the monk seals, the other favorite Tiger shark meal. plus they also bite and can be mean. Its also against the law to get to close to them.
--Dont bring a lot of cash or valuables and leave them unattended while doing beach activities. It will get ripped off. Dont leave valuables in car because it will get ripped off while your out shopping or on your 3 hour hike.
--Just bring what you need when doing activities, just enough cash to cover lunch if you can. Keep everything else locked up at the hotel.
--Know your physical limits, when in doubt ask hotel staff, lifeguards or locals to help you out.
--keep hydrated, its hot and alcohol dehydrates the body which when doing physical activities mixed with the blazing sun can go bad real quick.y

Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
<SNIP>The elderly man, still being supported mostly by the two ladies, told the LG, 'I've saved most of my life to be able to come here and swim in the ocean, and I'm going out.. Look, it's nice and calm'
About five minutes later a couple of LG's had to go out and get him, along with one of the ladies, after they got sucked out.<SNIP>
It's the killer opihi, I'm certain of it.
Yup, the short period of time they have here does encourage them to take risks they'd otherwise not take. Although in this case, they should have gone to Ala Moana Beach park where there's never any waves.

A lot of tourists schedule too much to do so they want to do things at specific times even though the conditions are all wrong for whatever it is they want to do.

They are also totally out of their usual zones. Everyone around here knows that if you're close enough to poke a stick into the lava, you're also close enough to fall into it, but I'd guess most visitors don't have that sort of learning experiences in their usual backyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii