Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post

I went back and looked at the pictures of that house. I've actually been inside that house! They were having an open house last time we were house hunting in Ewa Beach. It's not a bad place. I recall that I liked it, but it needs some TLC. Maybe I should buy it?
Be very careful about buying in Ewa Beach unless you are truly going to be in Ewa Beach a very long time.

When price declines begin on Oahu - they start in Ewa Beach. And, they fall the furthest.

When prices go up - the last place they go up is Ewa Beach.

When the economy struggles on Oahu - Ewa Beach gets hit the hardest with foreclosures and short sales.

I can't stress the above enough.

Best generic explanation is: Many people overextend themselves in Ewa Beach since the prices are so much lower than town, windward, east side, etc - the let homeownership override common sense if they can really afford that purchase. So when unemployment dips up - they can't make payments.

When the economy is bad here, you will see foreclosures in the lets say Kailua or Hawaii Kai (but most people can afford to live in those areas), but not near the number of Ewa Beach - not even close. And foreclosures will dramatically impact your home value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
When the tide turns, all other areas outside the urban core will suffer.

In late 1990s and early 2000s, I have spent many Tuesday noon time outside the courthouse where they conducted the foreclosure bidding. I saw so many houses and townhouses in Ewa, Makakilo and Kapolei went unbidded. Many townhouses were sold for low $70K.

But for those foreclosed properties in Kaimuki and Kapahulu, they still fetched a premium 20%-50% over the bidding price even in those difficult times.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
Most single family homes are located in planned community in Ewa, i.e. Sun Terra, West Loch,...etc.

After the City Council passed the bill on Accessory Dwelling Units, it is even more unwise to invest in those houses.

According to the bill, any house which lot is at least 5,000 sq ft big and if its front yard or back yard has room, the owner can build a 800 sq ft additional unit for rental. Such 800 sq ft 2 bedroom unit can get $2,500 monthly rental income.

If the owner builds it cheap, i.e. $200/sq ft, a $160,000 investment can generate $30,000 in return annually. That is a 18.75% rate of return.

But those planned communities already stated that even most houses are eligible with their lot sizes, it will be against the community's rule to build ADU.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:07 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most single family homes are located in planned community in Ewa, i.e. Sun Terra, West Loch,...etc.

After the City Council passed the bill on Accessory Dwelling Units, it is even more unwise to invest in those houses.

According to the bill, any house which lot is at least 5,000 sq ft big and if its front yard or back yard has room, the owner can build a 800 sq ft additional unit for rental. Such 800 sq ft 2 bedroom unit can get $2,500 monthly rental income.

If the owner builds it cheap, i.e. $200/sq ft, a $160,000 investment can generate $30,000 in return annually. That is a 18.75% rate of return.

But those planned communities already stated that even most houses are eligible with their lot sizes, it will be against the community's rule to build ADU.
Been on these CD forums for almost ten years beating the same drum - don't ever buy any property in Hawaii where you don't have full control of the land. Condos, townhomes, "planned" communities with wildly overreaching, nazi-like associations are all horrible long-term investments.

The approval of ADU's reinforces what I have been saying for years. Zoning density allowance in or near the urban core can only increase over time (and it will only increase more over time). There is no upside in condos or other properties where density (FAR) allowances are already high, structures cannot be feasibly demolished and rebuilt and land is shared in common interest. What you see is what you get - the towel has been wrung, zero upside.

It's intelligent investing 101 - buy property that will inherently become more scarce over time, not property that will become more ubiquitous. It's strange that very few people can wrap any of this around their heads.

Last edited by pj737; 07-09-2016 at 05:06 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 12:36 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Been on these CD forums for almost ten years beating the same drum - don't ever buy any property in Hawaii where you don't have full control of the land. Condos, townhomes, "planned" communities with wildly overreaching, nazi-like associations are all horrible long-term investments.

The approval of ADU's reinforces what I have been saying for years. Zoning density allowance in or near the urban core can only increase over time (and it will only increase more over time). There is no upside in condos or other properties where density (FAR) allowances are already high, structures cannot be feasibly demolished and rebuilt and land is shared in common interest. What you see is what you get - the towel has been wrung, zero upside.

It's intelligent investing 101 - buy property that will inherently become more scarce over time, not property that will become more ubiquitous. It's strange that very few people can wrap any of this around their heads.
But nobody is building ADU. The even waived over $10,000 in fees to try get people to build. Nothing wrong with condos in prime locations. The upside is the location. The upside of an ADU is the downside of the SFR on the site.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:48 AM

22 posts, read 99,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Would you say the same if some people want to buy property because they want shelter rather than an investment? Some people want to buy property because they would like to settle at that place for long term living but not merely for investment.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwuz View Post
Would you say the same if some people want to buy property because they want shelter rather than an investment? Some people want to buy property because they would like to settle at that place for long term living but not merely for investment.
Those are called renters. Not buyers.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM

22 posts, read 99,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Those are called renters. Not buyers.
Perhaps for the malahini people like you but not for the locals.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Give me a break. People don't sink several hundreds of dollars just for "shelter". That would be stupid. Let's give the "locals" more credit.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:45 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
"Locals" that don't invest in Hawaii real estate are called new Las Vegas residents.
Yes, Hawaii Locals Do Live in Kakaako | Hawaii Business Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: