Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

Would like some insight on the must see's and some great snorkling. We have been to Kauai and loved the snorkling there. Any food/entertainkment advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechelle View Post
Would like some insight on the must see's and some great snorkling. We have been to Kauai and loved the snorkling there. Any food/entertainkment advice is greatly appreciated.
The best snorkeling we found on the Big Island was at the City of Refuge, south of Kailua - Kona.

Hank

Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
I got a recommendation for Tres Hombres, a Kawaihae restaurant I've never visited, while at the beach today...the girls who recommended it are from LA and say it is their favorite place for dinner when on this side of the Island. Click here for a review: Tres Hombres Beach Grill Restaurant Kawaihae Hawaii HI Reviews Gayot

I shared my favorite Kawaihae restaurant in a recent post--the Seafood Bar above Harbor Grill. If you want a "scene"--go at dinner. Most places here shut down a little early, since most tourists are often on the go early and eating dinner early... Click here: Kohala restaurants - Kawaihae Harbor Grill and Seafood Bar

The Kings and Queens Shops have nightly music and entertainment, sometimes free...hula or music in the evening...

And then there are the beaches!!! Pick up a copy of the The Big Island Revealed, otherwise known as The Blue Book....there are a ton of good recommendations.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM

28 posts, read 513,535 times
While the Place of Refuge is great, my favorite on the Big Island is the Kapoho fishponds in Puna--long drive from Waikaloa, but well worth it--very protected ancient Hawaiian fishponds--you go through a residential neighborhood--start off by getting in at the fence on the far right and snorkel in front of the homes that in my opinion are the best ocean front property on that side of the island.
Absolutely amazing underwater relief--lots of live colorful coral, tons of fish and turtles--and chances are you'll have the place almost all to yourself.

Enjoy!!
Thornpicker

Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM
cwm

27 posts, read 149,125 times
Many of the Kapoho snorkling areas are now unaccessible due to gates set up by the residents.

Our favorite place to snorkel is Kahuluu Bay Beach park in Kona. It is located on Ali'i drive next to the Outrigger hotel. It has a place to park with bathrooms and usually vendors renting snorkling gear. A restaurant between the park and Outrigger hotel is a great place to eat. The snorkling is usually best in the morning when the turtles are feeding on the reef. Here are some pics Our favorite snorkeling spots in Hawaii Although the snorkling portion of the bay is protected, the big waves (like we get in the winter) make the water less clear.
Enjoy your trip.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwm View Post
Many of the Kapoho snorkling areas are now unaccessible due to gates set up by the residents.

Our favorite place to snorkel is Kahuluu Bay Beach park in Kona. It is located on Ali'i drive next to the Outrigger hotel. It has a place to park with bathrooms and usually vendors renting snorkling gear. A restaurant between the park and Outrigger hotel is a great place to eat. The snorkling is usually best in the morning when the turtles are feeding on the reef. Here are some pics Our favorite snorkeling spots in Hawaii Although the snorkling portion of the bay is protected, the big waves (like we get in the winter) make the water less clear.
Enjoy your trip.

are the gates set-up on public or private property?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM

203 posts, read 1,357,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
The best snorkeling we found on the Big Island was at the City of Refuge, south of Kailua - Kona.

Hank
Agreed. It's a quite nice spot. Quite a few turtles hang around there, a lot of fish and in the morning there are dolphins out a ways. Quite a few little crabs though!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM

28 posts, read 513,535 times
I don't know of any "gates" at the Kapoho fishponds--actually, when we went there last year, I was surprised that they had actually made an effort to make "parking spaces" in front of the ponds, probably so people would stop parking in front of their house. If people have actually spent thousands of dollars to put up gates this past year I'd not only be surprised, but also want to know about it.
Either way, it's well worth the effort to get there and I'll bet there's still a way in...if not, please elaborate--it's one of my favorite spots and it would be sad not to be able to go there anymore.

Happy fish viewing,
Thornpicker

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,081 times
thornpicker: i'm not sure whether it's private or public property where the gates have been erected. however, there's big, big controversy over the rights of the public to access beaches. too many gates and owners extending their "property lines".

Old 02-18-2008, 02:08 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
Kapoho Beach Lots--to get into the subdivision, you have to go through a gate.

More about the issue at Champagne Pond: Big Isle residents clash with tour groups over tide pool - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii