Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 PM

47 posts, read 71,674 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old. And I currently go to community college and my major is undecided. I have stopped taking classes for a brief period so I guess you could say I am not in school at the current moment because I really just have no idea what I want to do with my life and to accrue debt in the process does not seem wise. However there are very basic things I want out of my life. I want to have a gym because I love working out. I want warm tropical weather. And I want to get out of Colorado which is where I am located right now because I can't stand the snow. I understand the cost of living in Hawaii is even higher than it is in California. I researched and I found some 2 bed room apartments for 1800-2000 dollars a month.

I did some brief looking around on Apartments For Rent in Hawaii | Zillow The problem is that I really want to live in Hawaii maybe not permanently but definitely for at least a year or so just for the experience of being on an island away from all of the bull crap. I can't decide on anything to major in at my school so this leaves me with service job options that are likely to not pay very much probably 10$ and hour. I did the math in order to comfortably afford a lifestyle in a 2 bedroom apartment at 1850 a month rent with 10$ an hour I would need 3 roommates making 10$ an hour working full time. On top of the security deposit I would need to save up before arriving to the island I would need to also save money for 2 months at least to live there while I looked for a job so that I could move there. So it would cost over 5000$ to move ASSUMING everything went well with me finding the 3 roommates if that didn't happen I would need to live in a trash apartment in the ghetto or come back home. I would easily have time to save up the 5000 dollars within the next year but how realistic is it to rely on 3 roommates is that taking a huge risk? with the possibility of being evicted? How realistic is it that I could just move to Hawaii and find 3 roommates that are also looking for others to move in with?

Last edited by hurricane123; 07-10-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Zillow for rent is a huge scam.

They also need to teach you some paragraph breaks in school

Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
How about checking into Universities in foreign countries? A lot of them have free tuition as well as a living stipend - even for foreign students. (Sometimes I think the US is a completely ignorant country when it comes to education and healthcare issues) Spend some time in Germany, France, Spain, etc., get a free college education as well as free health care. After you get a degree, then you can move affordably to Hawaii. Seems a no-brainer to me, to go to free college if you can get it. A lot of the foreign colleges have the classes in English, too, so you don't even have to learn another language to do it. Although it wouldn't hurt to learn the language of the country you'd be spending a couple of years in.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,796 times
We're not some third world country. We have some of the best bull crap that compares to anywhere! Geez!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,711 times
Reading your other posts I would recommend to focus more on what you actually want to achieve in life. Or at least where you want to be in 10 years.

Focus on one of those 3: Family. Income. Profession. Which one (1!) matters most? Then work towards that. The other two will fall into place eventually. Location is irrelevant in absence of setting a goal and you distracting yourself.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 PM

47 posts, read 71,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Reading your other posts I would recommend to focus more on what you actually want to achieve in life. Or at least where you want to be in 10 years.

Focus on one of those 3: Family. Income. Profession. Which one (1!) matters most? Then work towards that. The other two will fall into place eventually. Location is irrelevant in absence of setting a goal and you distracting yourself.
What if my goal is to live in Hawaii? I just am having some trouble picking a major in school.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,225 times
Hawaii isn't for everyone. Its much different than the mainland, but if you want to try it temporarily and see if its a place you could see yourself long term, than do it! Life is too short. Adventure, go find what it is in life that excites you.

I would second that Zillow is horrible for finding a rental; however, Craigslist can be full of scammers too. Be aware. If it seems too good to be true, it almost always is. I can't speak to the challenges of finding roommates, but if you live in the less expensive areas, you could try and live on your own with either a studio or one bedroom apartment for under $1800 a month, then you wouldn't need to worry about finding roommates or fear them being a "risk".

Old 07-11-2016, 06:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
If you wait until you're 21, you could apply somewhere in a tourist area that serves alcohol and make good tips. But you'd need to get some experience as a server first. In no way should you depend on three room mates to be stable and stick around. Take about 5,000 with you, get a job, and find a furnished studio apartment. If it goes well and you decide to stay, great. Be wary of users and losers who will try to befriend you; there's lots of them , natives and transplants. Put your money in the bank and don't tell anyone you have it.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:48 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
It's perfectly fine to take a year or so off from school to try to figure out what you want to do with your life. If Hawaii sounds attractive, then why not try it out for a year or so? Get some entry-level, low wage job while you check things out. Maybe being in a totally different environment will help you get focused. Just make sure that you have enough money for the return flight to the mainland.

Of course, it would be a whole lot cheaper to explore mainland areas that don't get snow (which seems to be your main criteria). Someplace you could drive to, and easily leave if it doesn't work out.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

Of course, it would be a whole lot cheaper to explore mainland areas that don't get snow (which seems to be your main criteria). Someplace you could drive to, and easily leave if it doesn't work out.
The OP stated.
"at least a year or so just for the experience of being on an island away from all of the bull crap."

I've seen this where people actually think that the island cuts off all ties to the mainland and their past is stuck there. Now some people I know of have gone to lengths to change their names etc. but the fact is that your bull crap pretty much travels with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: