Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:19 PM

47 posts, read 71,683 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and right now the only jobs that seem to interest me are personal trainer/ police detective/ firefighter. I am not currently going to school because i don't yet know which of these 3 i am going to pick. Now all of these jobs are probably needed all over the place its not really something that is restricted to a certain area. So I really want to move to Hawaii and if i were to become a detective or personal trainer or a firefighter what is the chance of me landing a job at the island? I have heard that you need to make friends with locals first? Is that the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
You seem pretty delusional, which is fairly normal for a 20 year old. I don't think you're that serious but here goes. You can't just be a police detective straight out of the academy, assuming you get into the academy and pass. Those positions are extremely competitive and require years of service before you can get them. Firefighter is another tough profession. Not sure about personal trainer but I'd think unless you were well established, it would be hard to make a living. Add to the fact that Hawaii is likely significantly more expensive than where ever you're living, I don't see how you'd make it here, unless of course you have a stash of cash you haven't mentioned.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,917,248 times
Well, if you've ever heard the term "volunteer fire fighter" or "reserve police officer" you probably already know how hard it can be to get a salaried position in many communities. Though, over the years, most police jobs have become full employment. "Police" is really not the correct nomenclature. It would be "Law Enforcement Officer", that includes everything from Barney Fife, to LAPD, and federal LEO careers like CBP, FBI, ICE, Secret Service, Park Ranger, Air Marshals, etc. Every federal agency has a law enforcement arm, even the IRS and the postal service. Many of them, like FBI, generally require a minimum 4-year degree before you can apply. Local LEO jobs can sometimes be had without prior education or experience, however you will (generally) need to graduate academy training within your first 24 months.

I've known a few personal trainers, generally they work PT nearly for free in exchange for a free membership at whatever gym/club they work at. I'm sure there are some "personal trainers to the stars" around Hollywood who earn 6 figures but that is clearly the exception, and not the rule. Don't confuse "personal trainer" with "coach". You can go down to Gold's Gym or wherever and with your membership fee you get two free sessions with a "personal trainer". If you want to go into the UFC circle and be a coach, you generally need to be a semi-retired professional fighter. The distinction between "personal trainer" and "professional trainer" (coach) is that one makes real money, the other doesn't. Of course, there are exceptions to everything.

Of the two career paths and one job that you mentioned, Law Enforcement is the most likely to pay off, especially considering many smaller communities don't have any paid Fire Fighter or personal trainer positions.

Most gun-toting jobs require you to be at least 21 years old. Since you're not there yet you could start your journey by going to the local college (or community college) and enrolling in Criminal Justice 101. You'll have to take it eventually.

And there is always the military. You'll have veterans preference and a head start on your federal retirement the moment you're done serving and begin your career in one of the many civilian agencies that have solid paid federal LEO or Fire Fighter positions. Talk the recruiter about becoming military police.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,839,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
You seem pretty delusional
Straight to the heart of the problem! No argument here.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
If one wants to be a policeman and live in Hawaii start in San Jose, CA. They were recently in Honolulu recruiting- starting pay $80K per year. Do that 20 years - save money - transfer to HPD - then live well.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,179,876 times
OP is probably watching a lot of Hawaii 5-0. That show alone can make you move to HI, though it's probably far from reality.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM

160 posts, read 287,950 times
Hawai'i Volcanos National Park (Big Island) -- Park Ranger (Law Enforcement); Park Medic (EMT-ALS); Forestry Technician (Wildland Fire). These jobs do not require a 4-year degree but it sure helps! Apply in January each year.

US Fish and Wildlife Service (all islands) - they hire seasonal help each summer but probably not specifically LE or Fire, but that's how you get your foot in the door. My cousin started out counting birds at Kilauea Lighthouse National Wildlife Refuge as an intern but he didn't stick with it....I did.

Hawaii Division of Forests and Wildlife (DOFW) -- Forestry and Wildlife Technician (currently have openings on Wailuku/Kahului MAUI). Their Technicians are authorized to carry firearms. 4-year degree is not required but it sure helps OR NOT. If you can get a 4-year forestry degree their Foresters are also authorized to carry firearms (current opening on Maui but have seen recent openings on Kaua'i).

Department of Lands and Natural Resources (DLNR) -- They have several positions that enforce territorial natural resource laws and are considered Conservation Officers. A lot of the local County PD officers transfer from DLNR or vice-versa.

However my advice (as it has been for a number of years) is to get your training, apprenticeship, certification, etc. on the mainland. The training opportunities are much greater. Who knows after you work at Grand Tetons National Park you may never give another thought about working at a volcano again (I sure did)!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 AM

834 posts, read 1,219,080 times
Guys, stop wasting your time by writing all this stuff. Check his profile: He asks questions like

"Should I get a haircut?"

Old 07-14-2016, 02:33 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Guys, stop wasting your time by writing all this stuff. Check his profile: He asks questions like

"Should I get a haircut?"
Who cares if he asked that. People are responding to his question that has nothing to do with his hair.

Since it bothers you so much maybe you should stop wasting your time reading these threads.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM

566 posts, read 504,533 times
Hey, apply for a job with 'Five-0' they need some more young guns to drive around in Camaros.
Just ask Magnum PI for a reference, he hangs out at Rick's drinking Mai Tai all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii