Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM

32 posts, read 52,088 times

Advertisements

Man I just thought I would rant here for a min. I was born in Hawaii, but we moved when I was 2 so I don't remember anything. I also never got to visit it again. Now at 22 I'm trapped at a dead end job and broke living paycheck to paycheck, and I must say, extremely depressed, not suicidal, just depressed.

Ive always wanted to go back, but recently I have been having such strong feelings to go back there not just to visit but to stay. Ive been having dreams of Hawaii literally every single night. In my dreams I'm not in them. I will be watching someone else enjoying Hawaii and get extremely jealous.

Thats really been my experience with Hawaii my whole life. My family tells me about how awesome it is and how lucky I am to be born there. I look at the amazing pictures of me there when I was a toddler.

I meet people who tell me I'm lucky to be born there, or they call me liar, than they visit Hawaii and come back and brag to me about how great it is and once again how lucky I am and they show me pictures and secretly inside I am about to explode with anger and jealousy.

Last edited by KrustyJanitor; 05-09-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM

18,396 posts, read 19,027,378 times
get some bucks together and come for a visit, see if you can figure out how to stay. make a plan and put it into action

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM

32 posts, read 52,088 times
I'm trying to find out what kinda job I would be able to get over there if I can even get one. Theres alot of obstacles. First off I have a criminal record and I'm lucky just to have this job that pays the bills, but after paying bills I never have more than 20 dollars left over at the end of any bi-weekly paycheck. I don't want to visit, I want to live there. Also my job doesn't have any locations over there, so I can't transfer.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 AM

18,396 posts, read 19,027,378 times
didn't say it was easy. most great things aren't. you are 22 you have decades to get here. get your stuff together. give yourself time. your record, if you keep clean won't be as big a deal ten years from now as it is today. make a 6 year plan. get a second job if you have to. stop putting negative barriers in your thinking.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Anger and jealousy are bad emotions. Not an Island vibe. Hawaii is more than a location, it's a state of mind.

It's unfortunate that your mistakes have left you with a criminal record. Until you can improve your economic prospects, I'm afraid you're rather stuck...but, it's good to have a goal, and now you have one. It might take awhile but you will have something to reach for.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
It has been interesting to go and read this person's other posts in other state forums.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
It has been interesting to go and read this person's other posts in other state forums.
I see what you mean. Not pleasant reading.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
KrustyJanitor,
My mother was born in Hawaii and I still have family that are lucky enough to still be able live there. My wife and I worked for 10 years to be able to afford to move to Hawaii. Just when we were at the point where we could afford the move, my sister ran into problems. In order to help her and her kids out, we had to basically start over with a new 10 year plan. (We still have 8 years, 4 months, 26 days left. Not that we are counting. LOL!) My uncle always tells me that the most expensive part about living in Hawaii is housing. His suggestion to me has been to take care of housing before we move, so that we don't have to worry about it. We are 39 now and while we are a bit frustrated about not being there full time yet, we see how much we were able to improve 3 lives and are very happy. My point in saying this is that IF you really want to live in Hawaii and don't want to be forced to go back to the mainland, do a lot of research and make a good, solid plan. You are young and have plenty of time. We do get to go to Hawaii twice a year. Once to visit family on Oahu and once to explore other islands. Every island is different and each island has many different areas. Try to find the place that feels like home to you and where you can be both happy and successful.
Wishing you much luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii