Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 8,038 times

Advertisements

My friends and I visited Hawaii this past year and we fell in love with it. We were there for about a 3-month duration and realized that this is the place that we want to be, forever. If not there, Figi. If not there, New Zealand.

With that, I'm making a roadmap for my future and going back to school is my number 1 priority. I have a bachelor's degree in something I hate doing, so I'm shooting for something else. The question is...what? The idea of working as a marine biologist in Hawaii or something similar with the environment really sounds attractive to me.

My friends and I also want to start a fruit farm. We've successfully managed small scale pop-up farms.

As far as income goes, I'm just thinking about something that would allow me to save for retirement, 1 or 2 vacations a year, and pay my bills. Thus far, I have basically sold everything I own aside from a few basic things. I don't want or need a lot to keep me happy. Just the sun, surf, and great fruit.

I should also mention - I don't care which island. We went to all of them and I enjoyed every single one, Maui was my fave, sure...but I can live anywhere in the region and be happy.

What do you think?

Last edited by schmca02; 04-17-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
Well, if you've already wasted years getting a bachelors degree in something that doesn't interest you, try dealing drugs, popular here. Sorry to be harsh, but we can read your previous posts, and yours were about scamming unemployment and skipping out on rent.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 04-18-2017 at 02:12 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
with little or no marketable skills, and if unemployed or employed at a low paying job, chances are higher you'll end up homeless. Hawaii is not a good place to attempt to start from nothing with no support network.

if you have a bachelor's degree at your old school, it's unlikely you'll be able to get another one at a hawaii. school. i think accredited universities consider that as double dipping, which is frowned upon. Need to check policies, but I'm pretty sure UH is going to make you get a masters', which probalby will run you $50-60k, on the assumption that you possess all the prerequisites that won't have issues transferring over from your old university.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Well, just about everyone who visits Hawaii falls in love with it, so nothing much new there. Although the Hawaii of your vacation won't be the Hawaii you'd be living in if you move here. Living here involves working some sort of job or employment which sometimes means you're in traffic at the wrong times. Means you can't always go to the beach when you want to. Paying bills, doing laundry, vacuuming the house, cooking at home, etc. etc.

Why go back to school in the United States? That's gonna add tons to your school debt unless you've got someone else to pay for it or grants. School in some European countries is paid for and taught in English. Maybe even New Zealand? Which also has social health care, but that's a different subject.

So, you've spent a ton of time and money learning something you don't like. Well, try not to do that again. I don't suppose the bachelor's was in anything employable in Hawaii? Maybe doing something you don't like somewhere you may like would make up for not liking whatever it was you spent years learning about?

What exactly is a 'pop-up' farm? Farms by definition are pretty long term things, aren't they? Unless maybe you're growing sprouts or harvesting someone else's labor.

So, some sort of schooling, some sort of farming and you want one or two vacations per year (are these vacations to the mainland? Airfare gets expensive.), pay bills (probably all that previous schooling?) and save for retirement. How about asking for a little grass shack on the beach with hot and cold running bar tenders?

IMHO, a little bit of focus wouldn't hurt your planning and perhaps a bit of reality, but I suppose if you're shooting for the moon you're less likely to shoot off your foot.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Damn, talk about judgemental a-holes.

I have NO debt. Bills, as in rent/mortgage and utilities. Those things we all pay.

Also, I haven't even begun to think about moving to Hawaii - where did I say I was moving tomorrow? I asked what kind of jobs are high paying so that I can gain those skills prior to arriving.

Pop up farms are literally exactly what they sound like. I don't see how you don't get that. Although I'm guessing by you acting like you don't understand what a bill is, that you are just being obtuse.

I don't need advice about where to go to school - not my question.

My job isn't employable in Hawaii - hence why I asked the original question. I swear you're being obtuse here.

I'm not surprised though, I've heard some people will get on these forums just to discourage people from moving to Hawaii to keep the population down. Nice try, but no sale.

I have the right attitude and lifestyle for Hawaii. Things are of no interest to me, and all I need is money to survive and retire without being in poverty. I don't need or own much other than a few basic things like a bed and a laptop (which I'm sure the judgemental a-holes in this thread will say isn't necessary) and a bike. I've saved most of my money since I was a kid. Yes, I get it...there's probably a lot of kids who come on here and ask dumb questions about how to move to Hawaii.

That wasn't my question. My question was what jobs are in demand. Nothing more, nothing less. I provided background for context, which I'm now realizing was a mistake because of judgemental replies like this one from people who know nothing about me.

Last edited by schmca02; 04-18-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Well, if you've already wasted years getting a bachelors degree in something that doesn't interest you, try dealing drugs, popular here. Sorry to be harsh, but we can read your previous posts, and yours were about scamming unemployment and skipping out on rent.
Those posts are not about that at all. My questions had to do with my legal responsibilities, not with my ethical ones. I asked about my unemployment because I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into legal problems if I took a part time job. The same goes for leaving an apartment that was not mine. For the record, I ended up getting a full time job, skipping unemployment and I found another subtenant for the apartment which everyone in the replies agreed I was justifiable in leaving. Did you even read those posts or just the titles? None of this is even your business, a-hole. Honestly, what is your problem in life?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
with little or no marketable skills, and if unemployed or employed at a low paying job, chances are higher you'll end up homeless. Hawaii is not a good place to attempt to start from nothing with no support network.

if you have a bachelor's degree at your old school, it's unlikely you'll be able to get another one at a hawaii. school. i think accredited universities consider that as double dipping, which is frowned upon. Need to check policies, but I'm pretty sure UH is going to make you get a masters', which probably will run you $50-60k, on the assumption that you possess all the prerequisites that won't have issues transferring over from your old university.
No intent of getting another bachelor's degree. No intent of going to school in Hawaii, either. Going for masters somewhere in something marketable in Hawaii, and other places in the pacific region.

Last edited by schmca02; 04-18-2017 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmca02 View Post

That wasn't my question. My question was what jobs are in demand. Nothing more, nothing less.
Lately it seems like every Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Taco Bell, and various gas stations have banners exclaiming Help Wanted. Pay: roughly $10/hour

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM

70 posts, read 98,793 times
There have been countless discussions on this forum about employment in Hawaii. Why don't you spend some time researching those instead of posting a question about it and then calling everyone a-holes because you don't like what they have to say?

You want to know what jobs are in demand? Why not look at some job listings? Why not research who the major employers are, and what the major industries are in the state.

I suppose I'm an a-hole now too.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM

521 posts, read 734,274 times
Well I've been in your same shoes with wanting the island living and did move to Kauai. From my experience the best job is to be a RN. I had a 6 year plan to get to Kauai with a job and was successful after nursing school. I did have to work home health initially since I had no nursing experience. Then you can work anywhere. If HI doesn't work out you can easily get a job elsewhere. I could work as much or as little as I wanted. It's totally normal for people to leave for a month or two to go to Tahiti or Indonesia or wherever for vacation so then there are many spots to fill. Also the islands are extremely transient with people always coming and going. Setup a realistic plan and follow your dream!
I also had a non-related Bachelors degree prior to nursing school. If you are set on getting a Masters then maybe physician assistant. I really wouldn't try to get anything too specialized. And since you make your schedule with nursing and can work 1-7 days a week, you have the most control over your income.

Last edited by scgali; 04-18-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii