Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 671 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for jobs in any of the islands in Hawaii and even though I've been in the system for months, I've only heard from 2 schools (on Maui). Does anyone know when most public schools in the state start hiring? I am planning on moving to Hawaii if I get a job there, but I don't want to end up without a job at the beginning of the school year. I want to give schools as much time as possible to start contacting people, but I am starting to become rather nervous that I need to start looking elsewhere.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
They're busy having graduation this week, probably sometime after graduation they'll start looking to get ready for next year. If you're already in the system, call the principal of the school you want to work for and ask if they have any openings in your teaching venue.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:10 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,569,996 times
to say that the state job hiring is slow is probably an understatement. make sure you have a job in hand before moving. I dont know how fast the DOE hires specifically, but overall for the state (or city for that matter), 6 months from submission of application/resume to actually getting an interview is probably the norm, and not the exception. 3 months would be considered extremely fast hiring.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
They get pretty quick, though, once the school year gets close to starting because then they realize they need however many teachers starting the next week and then they hire really quickly. But they don't really call you, you have to kinda nudge them a little. It also helps if you're here in person since they'll be wanting warm bodies on the spot to slot into vacant teacher positions.

A mid to late summer vacation may be in order to be on the spot to be hired. Of course, that will make moving a bit more complicated, but perhaps your mainland house could be put into storage or something while you test the waters and see if you'd survive in Hawaii?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:42 AM

96 posts, read 113,433 times
You need to be proactive. It works differently here. You have to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii