Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
We are the only majority minority state.
No, Hawaii, California, New Mexico, and Texas are majority minority states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 PM

206 posts, read 186,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No, Hawaii, California, New Mexico, and Texas are majority minority states
You're right times have changed. We're the only ones to never have a white majority though.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 PM

48 posts, read 76,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Hello,

I was recently offered a job in Hawaii. I don't know much about Hawaii, I was wondering how noticeable is Asian presence there. For instance, I live in SoCal where the Mexican feel is extremely noticeable in everyday life even if you do not have any link to that culture. I was wondering if the same applies to Hawaii for Asians. Note that whether it is or not is not a bad thing, I'm just asking out of curiosity.
No Asian feel here. It's all "Hawaiian Style". Oh, I did see someone eating rice once, I think it was Rice-a-Roni.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Do they even sell Rice-a-Roni here in Hawaii? Is that the stuff in little boxes? Considering most folks I know buy rice in twenty pound or bigger bags, I don't see how a little box is gonna be enough.

I saw some folks put sugar and butter on rice and then eat it once. I don't think they were from around here.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM

406 posts, read 865,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Do they even sell Rice-a-Roni here in Hawaii? Is that the stuff in little boxes? Considering most folks I know buy rice in twenty pound or bigger bags, I don't see how a little box is gonna be enough.

I saw some folks put sugar and butter on rice and then eat it once. I don't think they were from around here.
Well, as you can see I'm not from or in Hawaii but I have to admit that sugar, butter and milk or cream on warm rice makes a tasty substitute for morning cereal. [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:

tough to get 'two scoop rice' out of a box of Rice-a Roni...
(The San Francisco Treat)

Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Which sort of Asian? In Hawaii we have more than just 'Asians', we have Japanese, Chinese, Okinawan, Korean, etc. Now, however, for the Caucasians, they're generally all lumped into one group with no real distinction between Russians, English, French, etc. ( Except for Portuguese, they're kept separate for some reason.)

First trip to Oahu I was hit by a barrage of 'Portugee' jokes by two girls in a bar..
I was scratchin' my cabeza wondering why...in Zoo Jersey it was always Italian jokes..
When I went out to visit my sis in college in Madison Wisconsin, they were telling Belgian jokes..IDK

Old 09-17-2017, 08:21 PM

518 posts, read 764,002 times
Quote:
My GF was in Hong Kong and instead of the normal chinese congee style breakfast rice, she put salt and pepper and butter (grits style) and the chinese were shocked lol.

But to answer the OP's question.

Yes, Hawaii is very Asian. Just as the US is very white.

AKA....it's just a meaningless descriptor. As many have already stated, "Asian" encompasses a huge amounts of cultural/food/religious differences and it's just as useful to say Arkansas is "white."

Old 09-18-2017, 01:36 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Mom used to make that; minute rice, butter, sugar and milk. Also made rice cakes with egg and syrup, gross.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
In Hawaii mostly everyone speaks English regardless of ethnicity, although sometimes broken.
Or Pidgin (aka Hawaiian Creole English), which is not really completely English and by not means "broken" English.

As far as the OP, I would say the feel depends a bit on the neighborhood/island/region where you'll be. For example, in Hilo, the feel is very Japanese, with many other things thrown into the pot. Kona side has a slightly different feel.
(and maybe a moot point, as I see the OP was several months ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: