Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

If most are under the same name it's probably just unsold units by the developer.

I do continue to be surprised people think there is that much foreign ownership despite data to the contrary. I think people just want to think it is so. It's fairly well documented foreign ownership isn't that big of a deal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:35 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,562,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I buy St. Germain bread but not at St. Germain store.

St. Germain sends all their excesses to Palama Supermarket. A loaf of St. Germain bread cost $1.99 there.

And I don't dry my clothes. I hang my clothes especially those Tory Richard shirts. But I don't hang it on Lanai because of the pollen allergy. I asked my contractor to put an 8-ft long metal pole just under my ceiling in the laundry room. I hang all clothes on the pole. Usually it will completely dry overnight.

Gas dryer is reserved for heavy stuff like towel and linen. Now it enters its 17th year of service and still working well.
I have resorted to hanging quite a bit myself. The electric bill dropped so substantially from not using our dryer, I considered into well worth the effort.. I'm talking savings of hundreds, monthly. I considered those savings to go into "staycation" funds account. Going to the Big Island Volcano House in October.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Hopefully the lava will still be bubbling in the caldera when you visit in October. It's been active lately.

Yup, we hang a lot of laundry, too, to save on electric costs. It's much more fun to use the money for fun stuff than for laundry.

Do most areas of the country spend as much effort on being frugal, do you think? Sometimes when I visit folks on the mainland they will be all concerned about different things such as water usage. Electricity (and toilet paper) hardly ever seem to be on the conservation list, though.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM

416 posts, read 409,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, we hang a lot of laundry, too, to save on electric costs. It's much more fun to use the money for fun stuff than for laundry.

That’s the best explanation of geothermal energy I’ve seen yet.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
"I have resorted to hanging quite a bit myself. The electric bill dropped so substantially from not using our dryer, I considered into well worth the effort.. I'm talking savings of hundreds, monthly. I considered those savings to go into "staycation" funds account. Going to the Big Island Volcano House in October."

We bought a house that had no appliances, so we bought all "energy star" stuff and upgraded the hot water to solar (tax rebates and credits paid for most of that). We line dry our clothes 90% of the time. Our electricity bill is rarely over $100, and that includes running the catchment pump and the UV light to sterilize the water.

We use one of these to do a lot of our baking in our lanai, but that is more about not wanting to heat up the house than anything else, but it truly sips the propane so very energy efficient and cheap to operate (we use bulk adapter to run it off normal propane tank):

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam...21be959b7c554a

Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
That looks like a great thing for a lanai, Terracore! I keep thinking an outdoor kitchen/BBQ area (maybe even with a pizza oven) would be a great thing. Next to the hot tub, of course!

Energy Star does a lot to help with the bills. We were using a fancy propane refrigerator when we set up our first off grid house but it used about 5 gallons of propane per month. We sold that and bought an Energy Star and ran that off the PV panels and battery system and it was much less expensive to run. The requirements were less than 21 cubic feet, ice maker in the freezer and freezer on top. That was the most efficient at the time.

We used the same requirements when buying a refrigerator for this 'new' (1952) house although added to those requirements was that it also be white. I got seriously tired of fingerprints on the stainless steel and black refrigerators. We found one at 20.6 cubic feet and discounted for being an out of date model and bought it on the spot. What we should have done was also measured the thing, it definitely didn't fit where the old one had been. Turned out even better, though, once the stove and refrigerator spots were switched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii