Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM

451 posts, read 411,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Gosh. If "walkable" is the criteria then might as well stay in Kapolei.

As a city person, I'd characterize "walkable" as bars/restaurants/movies/shopping which perfectly fits Kakaako or Ala Moana. Manoa won't give you that.

Perhaps you should motor up to Manoa from the burbs of Kailua one of these days and check it out, WV. There now are restaurants, places serving alcoholic beverages, a Safeway, Starbucks and even a McDonalds. There is even a university next to it! It's walkable too, and you can drive to Ala Moana in 7 or 8 minutes.

IMHO, Manoa is an iconic, historical, in-city Honolulu neighborhood. Ala Moana and Kakaako?....Not
likely anytime soon...just one after the other of bland, anonymous blocks of condo towers in a
constant state of deconstruction and construction for an unforeseeable future.....

To each, his or her own, WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Perhaps you should motor up to Manoa from the burbs of Kailua one of these days and check it out, WV. There now are restaurants, places serving alcoholic beverages, a Safeway, Starbucks and even a McDonalds.
WHAT???? A Safeway, Starbucks, and McDonald's? Paradise!!!

I like Manoa. Most people in my opinion wouldn't consider it walkable except for a very limited area for restaurants and bars.

A lot of UH students work on my teams as interns and they hate the limited walking options from the dorms.

Last edited by whtviper1; 07-16-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
WHAT???? A Safeway, Starbucks, and McDonald's? Paradise!!!

I like Manoa. Most people in my opinion wouldn't consider it walkable except for a very limited area for restaurants and bars.

A lot of UH students work on my teams as interns and they hate the limited walking options from the dorms.
Perhaps 'paradise slowly becoming lost' is a more appropriate description. I like Manoa too. A
beautiful neighborhood with many classic homes. I must to admit for some odd reason I have never really felt completely comfortable in Manoa, and I don't have a coherent explanation for my sense of
discomfort. The long-suffering Mrs Rain Monkey and myself often motor to Manoa to visit friends,
drop into Longs when they are sold out of something at other stores, etc., and the feeling usually wells up whenever we go up the hill past Punahou School and enter the valley. Odd stuff indeed. Sorry everyone, way off topic!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 14,099 times
Thank you everyone. I really would like to minimize commute time...I'll be working 4 x 10 hrs days, and would like to ideally have time to go things like dinner/gym/concerts afterwards. My other options would be LA, where I can live closer to work. I don't know very much about kapolei, but I think it might be too suburban for us

Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eungdamr View Post
Thank you everyone. I really would like to minimize commute time...I'll be working 4 x 10 hrs days, and would like to ideally have time to go things like dinner/gym/concerts afterwards. My other options would be LA, where I can live closer to work. I don't know very much about kapolei, but I think it might be too suburban for us

Ideally, you'd be able to come here for a week and take a hard nosed look. Actually do the commute for
several days and look at the neighborhoods. FWIW, LAX has a much, much more going on than HNL in the way of gyms, restaurants and concerts. If that is what truly interests you and your intended, you might want to seriously consider staying on the mainland. Compared to NYC and LAX, I would think Honolulu would be a disappointment.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: