Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
As previously stated, putting things in quotes has the connotation of being sarcastic or saying "so-called". If you had put that phrase in italics or underlined it, it would have given emphasis like you were attempting to do. But I also question your assumption that people are so dense that you needed to emphasize the subject of a single simplistic sentence with unnecessary punctuation.
Now you are just nitpicking - had I used italics or underline - you probably would've countered with, why the italics or underline - and the point of the emphasis was so people would actually read it not skim over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, I've been here 30 years and a very high percentage of the college educated (so called or otherwise) local women, married college educated local guys. Dated? That's a different story.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Now you are just nitpicking - had I used italics or underline - you probably would've countered with, why the italics or underline.
Probably. But not nearly as much as the quotes which did make it seem like you were being sarcastic and therefore detracted from the already questionable declaration you tried to make. And since when did quotes start keeping people from skimming?

Old 10-16-2017, 12:04 PM

69 posts, read 76,975 times
We re also white parents who adopted a black childand we live in the Big Island. This was the best thing that we ever did for her. We lived in a white suburb in Wisconsin and she was hurt by the racism from the white families. Here on the Big Island, her brown skin fits right in with her classmates who are many different shades of brown. We can buy her hair products in Hilo and we have a neighbor from Barbados who braids her hair for me. When you get here, I will share her contact information with you.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisambas1 View Post
We re also white parents who adopted a black childand we live in the Big Island. This was the best thing that we ever did for her. We lived in a white suburb in Wisconsin and she was hurt by the racism from the white families. Here on the Big Island, her brown skin fits right in with her classmates who are many different shades of brown. We can buy her hair products in Hilo and we have a neighbor from Barbados who braids her hair for me. When you get here, I will share her contact information with you.
My best friend (Pueblo Indian) lived in Wisconsin and has so many stories about being a person of color there. I feel for your daughter and am very glad she's thriving now.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:40 PM

22 posts, read 42,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisambas1 View Post
Thank you for your helpful response and perspective (as interesting as it was to read people's perspectives dating on the islands).

I'm feeling pretty good about our move after our scoping trip last weekend. We were deciding whether we should like Kona side or Hilo side, and we are 80% sure Hilo side wins at this point (we found a property we love in Kona, but the vibe isn't the same). Amazingly, the school she will likely attend has two other black kids in her class this year. That alone feels like a huge win. One of those kids' mom is a black woman pediatrician currently accepting new patients, so double win! I really think this move is going to be positive for her.

My white kids, on the other hand, will probably have an adjustment. There are only 1-2 white kids per class. They are used to being in the majority here. Kona seems to have a lot more white kids, but a lot less black kids. And it felt a little too much the same as OC to me, which is not why we are moving to Hawaii.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 PM

22 posts, read 42,076 times
And of course, I also scoped the black hair care aisle at the Hilo Target, and was very pleased to see they carry all my favorite products and quite a few more I'd like her to try.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
Thank you for your helpful response and perspective (as interesting as it was to read people's perspectives dating on the islands).

I'm feeling pretty good about our move after our scoping trip last weekend. We were deciding whether we should like Kona side or Hilo side, and we are 80% sure Hilo side wins at this point (we found a property we love in Kona, but the vibe isn't the same). Amazingly, the school she will likely attend has two other black kids in her class this year. That alone feels like a huge win. One of those kids' mom is a black woman pediatrician currently accepting new patients, so double win! I really think this move is going to be positive for her.

My white kids, on the other hand, will probably have an adjustment. There are only 1-2 white kids per class. They are used to being in the majority here. Kona seems to have a lot more white kids, but a lot less black kids. And it felt a little too much the same as OC to me, which is not why we are moving to Hawaii.
That's great!! It also means she has a very low "flight risk". Turnover here has been one of the most difficult social factors for me to accept. People who have businesses, practices, etc. are often your best bet for a consistent presence.

I do think the adjust for your white children will be the biggest challenge yet. It's not so much that they are now in the vast minority, but they are in the vast minority in a state that's known to be more challenging for whites to live in.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
hear is a link to some of the black history in Hawaii

The P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: