Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,014 times

Advertisements

Question - Shipping a classic car to Hawaii purchased in NY - provision of title and notarized bill of sale only - running and was registered at time of purchase; how do I ship it to Honolulu, experiences and suggestions welcome.

Will I be subjected to users tax?

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB1 View Post
Question - Shipping a classic car to Hawaii purchased in NY - provision of title and notarized bill of sale only - running and was registered at time of purchase; how do I ship it to Honolulu, experiences and suggestions welcome.

Will I be subjected to users tax?

Aloha
Google "shipping car to Hawaii" - you'll see various options. It'll get trucked from NY to California - then put on the boat - expect that to run $3,000 give or take.

If you just bought the car and ship it immediately, yes - you'll be subject to use taxes. They very by County.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:16 PM

518 posts, read 765,573 times
From what I've heard about the car transport industry (for private citizens at least) it's a total crapshoot in terms of time of delivery. Don't expect it to be on time.

I've also read that it's better to deal with the shipping company directly (Matson, Pasha) for ocean transport than with a broker/middle-man.

I'm sure you've got insurance, though.

The other weekend I saw a McLaren 650S (I believe...didn't think it was a 570 and not a P1) and a Ford GT (not the new one, the 2005 version with the gulf livery I believe...) driving up the windward coast. Nice cars and the Ford driver was nice enough to give a bit of throttle when I gave a thumbs up. Definitely nice but I feel like on Oahu, there's not much roads where you can let these types of cars stretch their legs. Maybe on the big island....

Old 10-31-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Definitely nice but I feel like on Oahu, there's not much roads where you can let these types of cars stretch their legs.
Plenty of road to stretch your legs on H3 - waze is a good app to spot the cops with radar.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 PM

518 posts, read 765,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plenty of road to stretch your legs on H3 - waze is a good app to spot the cops with radar.
AH interesting. Duly noted. I have waze already and it's definitely helpful too.

Incidentally, a lyft driver was talking to me the other day about how his uncle owns/manages a local Lambo dealer here. He got the chance to drive a new Huracan....blasting it around diamond head area at 3am apparently....

Old 10-31-2017, 07:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,583,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
AH interesting. Duly noted. I have waze already and it's definitely helpful too.
Just don't push it like this future stain on the highway.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFWfJZqzHo

Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Just don't push it like this future stain on the highway.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFWfJZqzHo
Obviously that stupid. I noticed 150+ at times and 140+ on the shoulder. Dumb.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,583,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Obviously that stupid. I noticed 150+ at times and 140+ on the shoulder. Dumb.
The original video ended with him doing a walk around of the bike after parking on the leeward side. He's talking about the bike, etc., unfortunately, he included a shot of the rear end of the bike, plate and all. Didn't end well. Dumb, dumber, dumberest.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 AM

10,594 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Such helpful responses.

I would have required person to identify what kind of classic car he/she plans to bring over, before answering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: