Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:05 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Which is better? Polynesian Cultural Center Luau or Paradise Cove
I always recommend Polynesian Cultural Center. And I typically recommend the Ambassador package. The thing is you can make it a full day or at least half day event. And you get not only a Luau, but also the night Shaw "Ha, The breath of Life". Which I think is better than the Luau's.

I also like to recommend the Iolani Palace. I think it is an interest place to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I always recommend Polynesian Cultural Center. And I typically recommend the Ambassador package. The thing is you can make it a full day or at least half day event. And you get not only a Luau, but also the night Shaw "Ha, The breath of Life". Which I think is better than the Luau's.
It should be noted - no alcohol at Polynesian Cultural Center.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 PM

86 posts, read 80,298 times
Quote:
I am planning a trip to Hawaii Oct 2019. I do not know where to begin. It will be for 7 days. I want to experience paradise and the beauty of Hawaii. Any suggestions of where to stay and things to do?

I was thinking of Waikiki but I was told Maui is also a viable option. Perhaps we can do both. I do not know. I want to keep the price at the low twos.
I will preface my thoughts by stating that I have been visiting Hawaii for over 25yrs and have had at least 3 lengthy stays in each of the 4 major islands in the past 10yrs.

My favorite islands in a general ranking would be 1. Big Island, 2. Oahu, 3. Kauai, 4. Maui.

Having said that, the Napali Coast whether accessed via the sea/ground level or via through the Kokee Park from above is my favorite part of the Hawaiian Islands. The beauty of those mountains meeting the sea can not be captured by words.

Stopping to find nice little nooks and crannies to explore into along the Road to Hana in Maui will also produce magical moments. As for beaches, that is Maui's calling card. Nice beaches are replete on the island as well as having marvelous snorkling spots. The first time that I ever tried snorkeling was in Napili and it was amazing...and I almost drowned.

The southern most point of the US in Green Sand Beach on the Big Island will always bring a smile to my face as I suffered a tire blow-out on my Jeep about 20min before sunset - there were certainly points during the next several minutes about wondering what to feel about dying in a cold Jeep in the southern most point of America. I thought that - despite having to suffer a painfully frigid death overnight - it would at least be cool to be the answer to a trivia question: What idiot died on the southern most piece of USA land? We somehow changed a 4x4 tire in the dark in the windiest spot in the Pacific and escaped with our lives to be able to tell a tale (un)fortunately...

Since you specifically mention wanting "to experience paradise and the beauty of Hawaii" on this first Hawaiian trip, my opinion is that you should choose Kauai.

In general, Oahu can become too hectic and chaotic with all of the "must-see-and-do" sights and activities for a first-time visit. IMO, there is a good chance that you end up trying to do too much which will lead to enjoying none of them. Oahu is an island that one must have some knowledge, feel and perspective for to begin fully enjoying it as a tourist.

The Big Island may be my favorite island, but because it is so physically big and also limited as to what it can offer for vacationers that are not familiar with Hawaii...it's prob not the best option for you. Like Oahu but in a different way, one has to have a sense and feel for the Big Island to fully optimize the experience, esp for a 1-week trip. Driving up to Mauna Kea at night and lying down to stare at the universe was literally the most religious moment of my life - but this is not something I would recommend a first time vacationer to do.

Anyway, "to experience paradise and the beauty of Hawaii" on a first trip my recommendation would be to split your vacation in half by staying half in Kapaa or Princeville/Hanalei and then the other half in Poipu. The first half will allow you to check out parts that still feel "Old Hawaii" while allowing hiking, ocean and river excursions that are cheap and amazing. Def do the Kayak trip in Kapaa to the waterfall...best $50 spent in all of Hawaii unless you are a fan of the great Asian massages in Oahu's Chinatown.

The second half of the Kauai trip can be based in Poipu which will have a completely different feel as it is a warm beachy locale. There you can do the boat excursions that will take you to snorkel in the Napali Coast...it's reasonably priced, professionally run and lot's of fun. Being in Poipu will also allow one to make the short trip to check out Waimea Canyon - which is an amazing sight to behold - and also to hike either the Canyon area or Kokee Park which is just a bit north. These activities are basically free. In addition, lodging on Kauai is very reasonably priced compare to Oahu.

Finally, since your trip is late 2019, you should take advantage of the fare wars that are expected as Southwest is planning an aggressive launch into Hawaii in 2019 so the forces of Supply and Demand should def create opportunities with airfare in 2019.

Good luck...

Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Nice. I really want a lei. They give you one at Paradise Cove.

My dream was to go to Hawaii for my honeymoon. Unfortunately, he is nowhere in sight. If he does appear, there are other islands to visit.

It seems people go more than once. I do not understand how. It is so expensive.
I think after your first trip you will realize why people go more than once.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM

353 posts, read 437,378 times
@ goodlife, from your previous posts, it looks as if oahu is the best choice for you.

If you want to go to Hawaii more than once, travel during low season, stay in an Air bnb and for entertainment, hike, explore and swim. You will save $$

But if you want to go during high season, stay in a resort and attend luau's, helicopter trips, dolphin swims and guided tours, you are going to spend tons of $$$.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:59 AM

353 posts, read 437,378 times
@ Gus, think OP wants the Disney experience Hawaii, not the Indiana Jones version.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
I will preface my thoughts by stating that I have been visiting Hawaii for over 25yrs and have had at least 3 lengthy stays in each of the 4 major islands in the past 10yrs.

My favorite islands in a general ranking would be 1. Big Island, 2. Oahu, 3. Kauai, 4. Maui.

Having said that, the Napali Coast whether accessed via the sea/ground level or via through the Kokee Park from above is my favorite part of the Hawaiian Islands. The beauty of those mountains meeting the sea can not be captured by words.

Stopping to find nice little nooks and crannies to explore into along the Road to Hana in Maui will also produce magical moments. As for beaches, that is Maui's calling card. Nice beaches are replete on the island as well as having marvelous snorkling spots. The first time that I ever tried snorkeling was in Napili and it was amazing...and I almost drowned.

The southern most point of the US in Green Sand Beach on the Big Island will always bring a smile to my face as I suffered a tire blow-out on my Jeep about 20min before sunset - there were certainly points during the next several minutes about wondering what to feel about dying in a cold Jeep in the southern most point of America. I thought that - despite having to suffer a painfully frigid death overnight - it would at least be cool to be the answer to a trivia question: What idiot died on the southern most piece of USA land? We somehow changed a 4x4 tire in the dark in the windiest spot in the Pacific and escaped with our lives to be able to tell a tale (un)fortunately...

Since you specifically mention wanting "to experience paradise and the beauty of Hawaii" on this first Hawaiian trip, my opinion is that you should choose Kauai.

In general, Oahu can become too hectic and chaotic with all of the "must-see-and-do" sights and activities for a first-time visit. IMO, there is a good chance that you end up trying to do too much which will lead to enjoying none of them. Oahu is an island that one must have some knowledge, feel and perspective for to begin fully enjoying it as a tourist.

The Big Island may be my favorite island, but because it is so physically big and also limited as to what it can offer for vacationers that are not familiar with Hawaii...it's prob not the best option for you. Like Oahu but in a different way, one has to have a sense and feel for the Big Island to fully optimize the experience, esp for a 1-week trip. Driving up to Mauna Kea at night and lying down to stare at the universe was literally the most religious moment of my life - but this is not something I would recommend a first time vacationer to do.

Anyway, "to experience paradise and the beauty of Hawaii" on a first trip my recommendation would be to split your vacation in half by staying half in Kapaa or Princeville/Hanalei and then the other half in Poipu. The first half will allow you to check out parts that still feel "Old Hawaii" while allowing hiking, ocean and river excursions that are cheap and amazing. Def do the Kayak trip in Kapaa to the waterfall...best $50 spent in all of Hawaii unless you are a fan of the great Asian massages in Oahu's Chinatown.

The second half of the Kauai trip can be based in Poipu which will have a completely different feel as it is a warm beachy locale. There you can do the boat excursions that will take you to snorkel in the Napali Coast...it's reasonably priced, professionally run and lot's of fun. Being in Poipu will also allow one to make the short trip to check out Waimea Canyon - which is an amazing sight to behold - and also to hike either the Canyon area or Kokee Park which is just a bit north. These activities are basically free. In addition, lodging on Kauai is very reasonably priced compare to Oahu.

Finally, since your trip is late 2019, you should take advantage of the fare wars that are expected as Southwest is planning an aggressive launch into Hawaii in 2019 so the forces of Supply and Demand should def create opportunities with airfare in 2019.

Good luck...
Oh my. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
@ Gus, think OP wants the Disney experience Hawaii, not the Indiana Jones version.
Lol! Yes, I want the Disney experience.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM

I am leaning towards a resort in Waikiki. I am thinking of doing the following excursions:

Pearl Harbor
Diamond Head
Paradise Cove or Cultural Center
Rain forest- I am not sure which one.
Bishop Museum

I think that is a nice variety.

What do you think?

Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
I stay at the Hilton for weekend get-a-ways. Fridays are firework nights. It is a little pricy but it's right downtown on Waikiki beach.
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort | Honolulu Hotels
Planning is the fun part, putting your travel plans together.
Good luck in your planning,
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii