Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 AM

317 posts, read 373,748 times

Advertisements

I just received a packet of information from Department of Education in Hawaii about being in the teacher applicant pool. I have 10 years of public school high school teaching experience and 4 years of overseas teaching experience (in China and currently in Middle East) but will be going home to California Bay Area in June.

We have a primary residence in SF Bay Area that we rent out for $3,300 per month. Assuming that I am earning close to $60000 in Hawaii, is this financially doable? I would not want to be teaching in remote islands but would most likely prefer Honolulu. What are 2 bedroom 1/2 baths renting for per month? I would like to get an idea of costs to see if this is manageable. It would be my wife and myself - close to retirement age but still want to teach in a warmer and greener enviroment than where I'm at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
What are 2 bedroom 1/2 baths renting for per month? I would like to get an idea of costs to see if this is manageable.
That is a bit of a broad question - as it varies widely from neighborhood to neighborhood.

This site suggests $2,664 average for a 2 bedroom in Honolulu. My opinion, that won't get you a nice place in the better neighborhoods. It would be fine in the high commute areas.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...u-rent-trends/

Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
I would not want to be teaching in remote islands but would most likely prefer Honolulu.
Since you said "in remote islands" (though Hawaii as a whole is remote), did you mean you wanted to work on the island of Oahu or were you specifically saying you want to live and/or work in the city of Honolulu itself?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 PM

317 posts, read 373,748 times
Probably Oahu or Honolulu proper. Trying to compare housing costs between Sf bay area and Honolulu. I am curious to see which is more expensive for rentals. Also what about state taxes in Hawaii?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Probably Oahu or Honolulu proper. Trying to compare housing costs between Sf bay area and Honolulu. I am curious to see which is more expensive for rentals. Also what about state taxes in Hawaii?
That's a very broad stroke - Honolulu is going to less expensive for rentals, in general, to the City of San Francisco. It'll be comparable to perhaps the East Bay. The Bay Area has a wide range of rental prices - Honolulu proper less so but most of the time, a rental in the City will be much more than Honolulu.

Regardless, average 2 bedroom rent in SF is running $4,492/month as of the time I'm writing this - that price will have you in a luxury rental in Honolulu regardless of location - not so much in SF.

What about state taxes? Well, the sales tax is a blistering 8.5% in SF versus 4.712% on Oahu. You'll feel it buying a car and groceries in SF fairly hard.

If you make $55,000 per year, your tax rate in CA is 9.3% versus 8.25% in Hawaii.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: