Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,498,628 times

Advertisements

Clairmiller:

If you want to see pearl harbor, then stick to Oahu for at least 5 days, then MAYBE another 5 days on say Maui or another island

Oahu has Honolulu, where you will find: pearl harbor, Diamond volcano, Waikiki beach, Iolani palace, Bishop museum, garden preserves, and more. Outside Honolulu you will find the Dole pineapple plantation, the Polynesian Cultural site and luau, North shore pipeline beach, turtle bay and resort, and the Byodoin temple, among other things. You can spend easily 7 days doing all that alone. Puck and choose your poisons, and get reservations where possible for some of those LIKE the Polynesian Cultural Center and luau in advance. There is nothing on that list that isn't worth while, but the PCC and Diamond head can easily be a whole half a day EACH.

If you plan to do it in 5 days, then you will really only have 4 days for another island as getting back and forth to Honolulu will lose you a day.

If you choose a second island I would suggest Maui or Kauai. The BI is great if you want to see active volcano and don't have respiratory problems.
Again search your "to dos" and plan accordingly.

I wouldn't worry if you only see Oahu this time, trust me, you'll save again to go back again!!!

Enjoy your time there!

Our next trip back is 2020 and the waiting is killing us!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM

27 posts, read 20,836 times
Thank you all! I've booked my flight to Oahu! I will be staying there for 6 days (and a half? arrival day does not count, will arrive there at 4 pm/ departure date does not count, will depart early morning). I hope I will enjoy my time there! Thanks a lot guys!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:05 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,935 times
Good time to visit in March I assume, from your first post. Still nice and warm with low humidity, unless the trade winds are gone, like now and the past two weeks. Then you get a lot of rain. Just a heads up for you.
Have a good trip, enjoy!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Good time to visit in March I assume, from your first post.
Although one of the more expensive months to come due to spring break

Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,239,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireMiller View Post
Thank you all! I've booked my flight to Oahu! I will be staying there for 6 days (and a half? arrival day does not count, will arrive there at 4 pm/ departure date does not count, will depart early morning). I hope I will enjoy my time there! Thanks a lot guys!
Great! and smart that you figured in your travel time...

There is plenty to do on Oahu to keep you hopping, believe me.
If you want to do another Island when you come back ( and you will )
Then I, like others here, recommend Kauai and Maui ( in that order) for your next trip.

Have a safe and wonderful journey.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 AM

27 posts, read 20,836 times
Hi Guys!

I've made a list of the places I wanna visit. Have I missed something?

1- Pearl Harbor.
2- USS Bowfin.
3- Arizona Memorial
4- Diamond Head.
5- Scenic driver around the island Hanauma Bay.
6- Waikiki Beach
7- Maik Kai Drink
8- Polynesian village in Luau
9- Shark cove north shore
10- Turtle beach
11- Dole Pineapple farm
12- The imperial palace? Lolani Palace
13- Ala Moana Center
14- USS Missouri
15- Royal Hawaiian Center? Market
16- Shangrila Islamic collection
17- Moanalua Garden and falls?
18- Lanikai Beach (white sand).
19- Moana Hotel
20- Sunset Beach (big waves).
21- World War Valor in the Pacific National Monument
22- Hoomaluhia Gardens
23- Sunset beach
24- See the rainbow?
25- Koko Crater Arch during sunrise
26- Wiliwilinui ridge trail
27- Cromwell’s rock pool
28- Have a coconut on the beach!
29- China walls cliff!
30- China town on Sunday
31- See the trees at the Judd Trail
32- Cockroach cove?
33- Hilton pool for Friday fireworks show every Friday at 7:45 pm.
34- Parasailing at Waikiki?
35- Photograph the Milky Way at night?
36- Makua Beach?
37- Get an acai bowl on the North Shore.
38- Try Haupia Pie ( coconut pudding!!_ on the north shore at Ted’s Bakery).

Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,239,604 times
That is an ambitious 'to do' list!

you are gonna need a vacation after your vacation.

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Claire, you've been doing some research and have quite the extensive list!

You should start grouping things and planning your days. You said you have 10 days, but depending on your arrival time the first day may be just arriving and getting settled. Have you figured out where you will be staying?

For example, Pearl Harbour/USS Bowfin/Arizona Memorial (same as your #21)/USS Missouri are all at the same place. Check out this website for more information and planning (including reservations!): Plan Your Visit to Pearl Harbor Historic Sites, Plan the day

Note that #7 is spelled mai tai, #12 is Iolani. #8 I think you mean Polynesian Cultural Site and Luau.

Hopefully some of our Oahu residents can help with organizing your itinerary.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:06 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,498,628 times
Whoa, Clair, slooooow down!

That,IS an ambitious list/plan.

Of course some things you can combine at once or do daily, like try poi, have a Mai tai, or coconut pudding, when you slow down enough to eat! Also I don't remeber If SHAVE ice (NOT SHAVED) IS ON YOUR list or not. ( it's like a snow cone), but give that a try.

DIAMOND HEAD: GET THERE EARLY. It's quite a hike to the top of the caldera. Tgen you have to get down and out before 4Pm, they WILL (supposedly) lock you in if after 4pm. We certainly didnt temp it, but were close to 4pm when we got down.

Polynesian Cultural Center and luau...a good 3/4 to whole day tgere and into the evening for the luau and show, well worth it. GET TICKETS IN ADVANCE IF YOU CAN. Or get there early when they open.

Dole pineapple plantation is basically in the center of the island . It is easily half day, longer if you want to try the very large maze they carve out( we didnt) take the train ride around the plantation.

Go to the provided earlier post for pearl harbor. It should be recommended to go EARLY. read all you can.

Waikiki is a nice beach, if only to say you've relaxed on it. Dukes bar is there, and PLENTY of shopping of all kinds. Am La Moana shopping center is near By. Go to the website to see if there might be any stores you want to shop at

KINGS VILLAGE at Waikiki is worth a stop. I think it's 6pm at night tgey have the "changing of the royal guards" show
Worth a look.

Iolani palace: don't go on Sunday, it's only partially open. We made that mistake the first time. They may have changed that by now.

North shore is a good half days drive, but you will see Pipeline beach, Turtle bay and resort, Byodoin temple. Took us about a half day to drive from pipeline beach down s/e past Byodoin temple, orchids plantations, chinamans hat island, etc to then go through the lower tunnel to Honolulu side.

Anywhere you drive, expect to get gas at about every station you see, they can be far and few between, and expect much much higher gas prices than at home. The more populated the area, the more you will find, the less populated areas will be far fewer gas,stations.

Stay far away from waianae on the south west side. It's the " not so nice " section of the island, where (unfortunately) the poorer of the island locals live. That alone doesn't make them bad people, but it's not very nice area.

Whew. I'm tired out just from giving you these,hints!!!

Have a great time!

And as,I said, you'll definitely WANT to go back to see Kauai and Maui!!!

Enjoy paradise.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

DIAMOND HEAD: GET THERE EARLY. It's quite a hike to the top of the caldera. Tgen you have to get down and out before 4Pm, they WILL (supposedly) lock you in if after 4pm. We certainly didnt temp it, but were close to 4pm when we got down.
No.

The Diamond Trail Hike lets the last visitors in at 4:30. The park closes at 6:00pm - the gates are locked at that time, but you aren't locked in for the night, you'll be firmly asked to leave.

It takes 30-45 minutes to go up depending on what shape you in - and less to get back down.

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-07-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii