Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 20,961 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I am an international student here in California. I've been saving for the past 4 years to visit Hawaii during the last week of March.

I wanted to visit Honolulu and been wondering about visiting another island as well, maybe Maui.

Can you give me hints? How many days is enough for the big island? I know it differs. I want to see the city, I will rent a car to visit the places there.

I like to visit Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial, see the good beaches and the famous places. So is one island enough? Say it another way, do you think it is worth it to visit more than one island?

I do have 10 days. I am thinking of visiting Honolulu and another Hawaiian island OR visiting Honolulu and Seattle & Portland OR instead.

Your opinion matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,251,947 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ip-hawaii.html

for starters, read this prior thread...it might answer some of your questions.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,621,166 times
Honolulu and Pearl Harbor are on Oahu, not the Big Island. Honolulu is a busy city with night life and great restaurants in addition to beautiful beaches and the sites you mention. It would be nice to include a few days in Maui. Or you could do the Big Island. On the BI you could take some tours to see the sea turtles and waterfalls etc. The volcano is also worth a trip IMO.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM

961 posts, read 1,226,866 times
Personally, I think visiting one island is best. There is enough to see and do on one island alone without hopping around different islands. So many things on Oahu alone: Hike Koko Head, hike Diamond Head. Snorkel at Haunama Bay. Tour Iolani Palace and/or the Doris Duke estate. Bishop museum. Stand up paddle at Waikiki Beach. Polynesian Cultural Center. Shark tour on North Shore. Etc., etc.. many things on other island too. For me, 10 days gets spread too thin if you try to do too much. But hey, I have a friend that will go to 3 different countries in 10 days and only a couple days in one place before he moves on. So it’s what you prefer really.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Continuing what WaikikiBoy said, figure a better part of a day traveling to and from a Hawaiian Island from the Mainland...two days shot.

Then an inter-Island flight, traffic, car rental..at least another 1/2 day used up.
Cuts into your valuable vacation time..

I'd rather be sight-seeing or lying on the beach.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
figure a better part of a day traveling to and from a Hawaiian Island from the Mainland...two days shot.
That's a bit of a stretch from California - you can take the morning flight from the west coast and be hiking diamond head by mid-afternoon.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 PM

your are right..I am thinking East Coast with a possible layover in Cali/ Ohare/ Ft.Worth...or the good old non stop from Newark that would put you smack into rush hour traffic on H-I right about 5 pm.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
or the good old non stop from Newark that would put you smack into rush hour traffic on H-I right about 5 pm.
I take that flight a few times a year. You land before rush hour albeit barely. 2:45pm to be exact.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:50 AM

yup, last time ( Last Oct.) I got there around 3 ish, had to pick up a large bag at the carousel.., (usually don't have to go through the luggage step)..then they gave my rental car to someone else by mistake...had to wait for them to prep another, I needed a SUV.

a little late arrival, some hiccups with luggage and rental can translate in to an hour or more extra travel time.
rolled out on to H-1 a little after 5 pm. and was stationary for the longest time...
was headed out to Hawaii Kai,

I think I went the H-3 route which saved me a little time, but not much.

still a loooong ride after an equally long flight...

these are things a new traveler( like the OP) to Hawaii has to be prepared for. not everyone knows the ropes, especially maiden flight Touristos.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 02-21-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM

354 posts, read 441,867 times
If you want to visit the city of Honolulu and you want to see Pearl Harbor, then you need to visit only Oahu (The Big Island called Hawaii, is a separate Island all together). If you are staying only one week, visit only ONE island. There is plenty to see on Oahu and inter-island flights are expensive and will cost you valuable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii