Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
There’s a cheaper way to have an 808 area code on your cellphone as a second number, as long as the 808 area code is available with Google Voice. You also don’t have the hassle of carry around two cellphones, and paying an upfront and ongoing cost for the prepaid cellphone.

Register for a free Google Voice telephone number with an 808 area code, then install the Google Voice app on your cellphone. You can forward your Google Voice calls to several telephone numbers or answer the Google Voice calls on your cellphone. Google Voice also has free voice mail and can email or text your voicemail to you. The voice quality is also very good. There’s no monthly cost for Google Voice, for US calls, it’s free!
The State of Hawaii does not allow Google to offer 808 phone numbers via Google Voice - so that is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The State of Hawaii does not allow Google to offer 808 phone numbers via Google Voice - so that is not an option.
That’s unfortunate that the state of Hawaii does not allow 808 numbers to be used by Google Voice. That’s just yet another way the cost of living is higher in Hawaii. You can use the Google Voice telephone service for free US telephone calls in the mainland. I don’t know if any other states restrict the free telephone service. You can also use the Google Voice service with a low cost Obihai hardware device for a free landline telephone in the mainland. There are many YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use Google Voice as a free landline telephone. Google Voice might be an option for snowbirds who live in Hawaii part time, or snowbird other places, as a way to save money, and not have to carry around and pay for two cellphones.

Perhaps another way is to switch the cellphone to an 808 prefix and use the Google Voice number with a mainland area code. Then use the Google Voice phone number for all the mainland based telephone calls, unless there’s a residency requirement, or some other restrictions from changing the cellphone to a 808 area code.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,557 times
Just grab any of your old 2G phones, i.e. Nokia, and go to any T-Mobile store on the islands to buy a prepaid sim card and insert and activate it. Then you have an 808 number phone.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM

163 posts, read 269,135 times
I have a mainland number and I often got calls for jobs. But I compensate for the mainland # by putting my address at the top, right under my name. So it reads:

Enyo Doe
(Local Address)
(Mainland Telephone #)

I'd say within the first minute of the call, the recruiter would verbally confirm that I was living on my respective island. I figure that having an 808 number is great, but if your resume doesn't reflect any Hawaii-based work experience or have a local number, it'll be a red flag for more attentive managers.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,203,216 times
Since you’re working in project management, do you have a PMP? There are plenty of PM jobs in Oahu, with a PMP you’re going to be in pretty good shape IME

Old 04-15-2018, 03:11 PM

354 posts, read 386,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Since you’re working in project management, do you have a PMP? There are plenty of PM jobs in Oahu, with a PMP you’re going to be in pretty good shape IME
I don't have my PMP but I'm certainly willing to take the test. Since I'm not currently working as a project manager, I'm not sure I will get the credit that is needed (I gave forgotten the requirements but I believe you need to track projects you manage for a review by the board or something) but I am going to look into it!!!

I work in sales in the construction industry, and from what I see there are many jobs I am qualified for on Oahu. Now I am just not sure if I want to do Oahu or hold out for the big island.

The big island is my happy place. *happy sigh*

Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 PM

354 posts, read 386,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Just grab any of your old 2G phones, i.e. Nokia, and go to any T-Mobile store on the islands to buy a prepaid sim card and insert and activate it. Then you have an 808 number phone.
Good idea!!

I hadn't thought of that.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,203,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I don't have my PMP but I'm certainly willing to take the test. Since I'm not currently working as a project manager, I'm not sure I will get the credit that is needed (I gave forgotten the requirements but I believe you need to track projects you manage for a review by the board or something) but I am going to look into it!!!

I work in sales in the construction industry, and from what I see there are many jobs I am qualified for on Oahu. Now I am just not sure if I want to do Oahu or hold out for the big island.

The big island is my happy place. *happy sigh*
Yeah you need 4500hrs of formal PM experience in all stages of the project and 35hrs of education in PM from a PMI approved provider. TBH you can probably fudge the experience a bit and not fear an audit.

In any case, the Big Island probably has a need as well, or better yet, get a remote job on the mainland and move, win-win.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Yup, remote job on the mainland and move! Mainland jobs pay better than local ones since we got a lot of folks willing to work for less if they can move to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii