Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 PM

354 posts, read 385,419 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I've been working as a sales engineer and a project manager in San Diego for the past 5 years- in the HVAC/Commercial construction industry. I would LOVE to move to the big Island or Maui for a couple of years (I feel eventually I will wish to move closer to my family on the east coast but I also know that if I don't move to Hawaii at some point I'm probably going to always wonder what if)

I cant go before securing a job but now I'm wondering if companies take a mainlander who isn't in Hawaii yet seriously?!

All the jobs I see on the job boards are for Oahu and I'm concerned that the traffic there will just be too stressful for me.

Where do I start? Do I need to look at specific websites? Do I just need to hang out and network? Do I drop off my resume somewhere?? I don't know anyone on the island so I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door. Do I just deal with traffic on Oahu and apply anyway to the listings I see??

Visiting BI again in May!!!

(Have thought seriously about quitting engineering and waitressing full time, but I feel it would be a better idea for me to stick with my industry to make a decent paycheck lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
As a hiring manager, I get a lot of calls from mainland dreamers who respond to our employment listings. I always tell them the same thing-once you are here and available for a formal interview I would love to explore whether my employment opportunities are a good match for what you are seeking in a career. Most never make the move.
Some employers won't even reply to off-island applicants.
Now, the labor market is extremely tight right now, so you stand a much better chance to pique the interest of employers. But if you are going to be here in May, why not look into employment opportunities at that time? You could call around and try to pre-schedule interviews.
Construction is going full tilt (at least here on the Big Island) so your timing is good.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I've been working as a sales engineer and a project manager in San Diego for the past 5 years- in the HVAC/Commercial construction industry. I would LOVE to move to the big Island or Maui for a couple of years (I feel eventually I will wish to move closer to my family on the east coast but I also know that if I don't move to Hawaii at some point I'm probably going to always wonder what if)

I cant go before securing a job but now I'm wondering if companies take a mainlander who isn't in Hawaii yet seriously?!

All the jobs I see on the job boards are for Oahu and I'm concerned that the traffic there will just be too stressful for me.

Where do I start? Do I need to look at specific websites? Do I just need to hang out and network? Do I drop off my resume somewhere?? I don't know anyone on the island so I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door. Do I just deal with traffic on Oahu and apply anyway to the listings I see??

(Have thought seriously about quitting engineering and waitressing full time, but I feel it would be a better idea for me to stick with my industry to make a decent paycheck lol)
Go where you feel you would be a good fit, work wise . It is really about what you want, inside.
If there is a job that looks promising then have a resume ready and on hand go check it out. BI would be a good start with all the building. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:06 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post

Wow! You need a reality check! Throw away a good paycheck doing engineering work after completing an engineering degree at a college for low paying, no benefits, part time jobs that only require a high school education or less! You’ll need multiple part time jobs, since you won’t be able to survive with only one part time job. What happens if you develop health problems in the future? You’ll probably have no health care benefits. That would be quite a life changing experience, being broke all the time, with no hope in the future to ever retire, except retiring in severe poverty or homelessness.

There are probably jobs in Hawaii doing the same type of work you’re doing now, except they probably pay significantly less. The cost of living in San Diego is pretty high, but the cost of living is probably much higher in Hawaii. You might face a lot of hiring discrimination in Hawaii where it might make more of a difference who you know, than what you know.

Maybe you could think how your lifestyle would be impacted if you quit your job where you work now, and then started working three part time waitressing jobs where you live now? I’m not suggesting that you actually quit your job, but just think about how that would devastate your future. Maybe you’d be better off moving to the east coast near your family, and getting a job in that area. It would probably be much easier to relocate to an area where you can stay with your family until you can establish a new residence in that area.

Hawaii is a nice place to visit, but it takes a lot of money to live there, unless your lifestyle drops very severely.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Wow! You need a reality check! Throw away a good paycheck doing engineering work after completing an engineering degree at a college for low paying, no benefits, part time jobs that only require a high school education or less! You’ll need multiple part time jobs, since you won’t be able to survive with only one part time job. What happens if you develop health problems in the future? You’ll probably have no health care benefits. That would be quite a life changing experience, being broke all the time, with no hope in the future to ever retire, except retiring in severe poverty or homelessness.

There are probably jobs in Hawaii doing the same type of work you’re doing now, except they probably pay significantly less. The cost of living in San Diego is pretty high, but the cost of living is probably much higher in Hawaii. You might face a lot of hiring discrimination in Hawaii where it might make more of a difference who you know, than what you know.

Maybe you could think how your lifestyle would be impacted if you quit your job where you work now, and then started working three part time waitressing jobs where you live now? I’m not suggesting that you actually quit your job, but just think about how that would devastate your future. Maybe you’d be better off moving to the east coast near your family, and getting a job in that area. It would probably be much easier to relocate to an area where you can stay with your family until you can establish a new residence in that area.

Hawaii is a nice place to visit, but it takes a lot of money to live there, unless your lifestyle drops very severely.
That was somewhat a joke, and actually there are servers who do quite well especially considering there are so many tourists, and have good benefits!! I work as a server now on the weekend and have paid sick time, 401k, etc etc. And I don't even work full time at the bar I work at!!

Cost of living of hawaii vs San Diego are very similar in all the comparisons ive done, with big island being cheaper on the whole than san Diego.

And I am looking at moving closer to my family later on down the road, so hawaii sooner rather than later is what I think I can make work.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Go where you feel you would be a good fit, work wise . It is really about what you want, inside.
If there is a job that looks promising then have a resume ready and on hand go check it out. BI would be a good start with all the building. Good luck in your search.
Thank you!! I am excited to hear big island is doing building and this might actually be a good time to secure something!!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
As a hiring manager, I get a lot of calls from mainland dreamers who respond to our employment listings. I always tell them the same thing-once you are here and available for a formal interview I would love to explore whether my employment opportunities are a good match for what you are seeking in a career. Most never make the move.
Some employers won't even reply to off-island applicants.
Now, the labor market is extremely tight right now, so you stand a much better chance to pique the interest of employers. But if you are going to be here in May, why not look into employment opportunities at that time? You could call around and try to pre-schedule interviews.
Construction is going full tilt (at least here on the Big Island) so your timing is good.
Oh good to know about the labor market!! I was perusing some job boards last night and saw that there were many available jobs. Not so many on the big island but if I did more research I could probably find some.

I am sure some never make the move to Hawaii because they cant get a job beforehand, but they cant get a job because they don't live there....it really is a catch 22! I am still paying off student loans so I am not comfortable leaving a gap in my employment hoping I can find something on the island. So maybe the answer is, I make visits and apply and try to secure interviews between now and then while keeping my job in san Diego until I find something!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
Also, when you visit in May, if you don't find a job immediately you can think about picking up a cheap pay-as-you-go cell phone. Some have found that even off-island, having an 808 area code phone number will get you more call backs.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Also, when you visit in May, if you don't find a job immediately you can think about picking up a cheap pay-as-you-go cell phone. Some have found that even off-island, having an 808 area code phone number will get you more call backs.
That’s surprising that a waitressing job would have benefits. That’s a wise idea to avoid time gaps in your resume. Time gaps in your resume can look bad to a future potential employer.

There’s a cheaper way to have an 808 area code on your cellphone as a second number, as long as the 808 area code is available with Google Voice. You also don’t have the hassle of carry around two cellphones, and paying an upfront and ongoing cost for the prepaid cellphone.

Register for a free Google Voice telephone number with an 808 area code, then install the Google Voice app on your cellphone. You can forward your Google Voice calls to several telephone numbers or answer the Google Voice calls on your cellphone. Google Voice also has free voice mail and can email or text your voicemail to you. The voice quality is also very good. There’s no monthly cost for Google Voice, for US calls, it’s free!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
That’s surprising that a waitressing job would have benefits. That’s a wise idea to avoid time gaps in your resume. Time gaps in your resume can look bad to a future potential employer.

There’s a cheaper way to have an 808 area code on your cellphone as a second number, as long as the 808 area code is available with Google Voice. You also don’t have the hassle of carry around two cellphones, and paying an upfront and ongoing cost for the prepaid cellphone.

Register for a free Google Voice telephone number with an 808 area code, then install the Google Voice app on your cellphone. You can forward your Google Voice calls to several telephone numbers or answer the Google Voice calls on your cellphone. Google Voice also has free voice mail and can email or text your voicemail to you. The voice quality is also very good. There’s no monthly cost for Google Voice, for US calls, it’s free!
Thank you Grassyknoll and davephan!! I didn't even think of these two options but I can definitely see how they would help me get some traction!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii