Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I'll look into it. Have an aloha kind of day, and Mahalo for the referral. I too live and work near the sea, and have noted no difference whatsoever.

Let me ask you a sincere question. What, if anything, are you willing to give up for this cause. Your car, perhaps. Trips off-island. What have you already given up after deliberation solely because of global warming?
I don't think I'm even capable of understanding what you appear to be saying. You seem to be implying that there is some kind of a deep, international conspiracy that is trying to deny us our basic rights as human beings by warning us about the potential adverse affects of continuing to burn fossil fuels. How do scientists warning us about this danger pose a threat to our freedoms? It would seem to be the opposite.
And anyone who thinks that 'BIG corporations like Exxon or Mobil are looking out for our interests, need only to look back at the tobacco industry, leaded gas, clean coal, and if you want to go way back, the Radium Girls. Free enterprise is only there to be taken advantage of by a few completely unscrupulous corporations. Without some kind of oversight, people would be dying from vaping.............

Old 11-14-2019, 07:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Save your breath Nyfinestbxtf...global warming; oh, excuse me...the UN now says climate change since the anticipation of a cooling period...save your energy. I know CO2 doesn't cause climate change. The sun is the main driver of our climate. Some of you hardcore believers need to do some serious research. Start with history and what climate change (I'm talking normal cc has caused). The fall of Rome is one example. Though conquered from within there were also severe droughts and other climate change issues that caused and put the final nail in the Roman Empire's coffin.

EXERT:
The Course of Empire: Desolation
Thomas Cole's The Course of Empire: Desolation, 1836 (Courtesy New-York Historical Society/Wikipedia)
By Kyle Harper, Aeon
SMITHSONIAN.COM
DECEMBER 19, 2017
2K146414.1K
This article was originally published at Aeon and has been republished under Creative Commons

quote "The end of this lucky climate regime did not immediately, or in any simple deterministic sense, spell the doom of Rome. Rather, a less favorable climate undermined its power just when the empire was imperiled by more dangerous enemies—Germans, Persians—from without. Climate instability peaked in the sixth century, during the reign of Justinian. Work by dendro-chronologists and ice-core experts points to an enormous spasm of volcanic activity in the 530s and 540s CE, unlike anything else in the past few thousand years. This violent sequence of eruptions triggered what is now called the ‘Late Antique Little Ice Age,’ when much colder temperatures endured for at least 150 years.

This phase of climate deterioration had decisive effects in Rome’s unraveling. It was also intimately linked to a catastrophe of the even greater moment: the outbreak of the first pandemic of bubonic plague." unquote

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...rome-180967591

History is replete with examples of how climate change destroyed civilizations. Never no mind; allow the fanatics to have their fantasies of destruction while we sit around and do almost nothing with cleaning our planet up. We have gone away from all the fervor and excitement to recycle and do all the good things that benefit our planet. While our young are gluing themselves to the pavement wasting emergency services that could go to people in need, our oceans and lands are filthy and polluted with our garbage.

How many of your shop with the intent to "not" buy anything in plastic? How about straws? How many of you actually hang your clothes to dry instead of using the dryer? Apologies to those stewards of the earth that do in fact do all the things we all should be doing. Global warming is all about power and money.

another food for thought: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/dark-ag...9781780930305/ Dark ages which followed the fall

quote "Nottingham’s History Department by Dr Conor Kostick – suggests that there was a relatively cold period between c. 400 – c. 800 AD preceded and followed by warmer ones. Such colder phases tend to result in the abandonment of marginal areas of cultivation and settlement, while the opposite happens in warmer periods. The cold period in Liguria saw the relocation of the population from the coastal settlement of the Roman period to mid-slope settlement (around 500m above sea level) probably to escape waterlogged lower areas and flood events. This evidence is vital as we now face similar shifts of climate and their local consequences. In Liguria, in October and November 2011 there were extremely damaging floods in the lower Vara valley (the picture above shows a flood-damaged bridge in this area [© Ross Balzaretti]) in which several people died and there was major damage to property. This was provoked by a period of exceptionally intense rainfall and was probably exacerbated by the relative neglect of traditional land management practices resulting from rural depopulation. Dr. Balzaretti’s work shows that the link between climatic shifts and land management has long been crucial and that however crepuscular, the “Dark Ages” still throw light on contemporary dilemmas." unquote

Research people; the UN and associates have an agenda and it's not for our benefit.
Nut.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:10 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Pretty much every time I drive to Lahaina during a king tide. And. no. it wasn't always this bad. ..
If it is acknowledged that the climate is warming for whatever reason, whether it be a “natural” event that just happens to be occurring 45 times faster than a typical warming cycle, or human co2 emissions driven, then a rising sea is inevitable due to thermal expansion of water.

Denying that would go beyond the highly improbable to the absurd.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
I don't think I'm even capable of understanding what you appear to be saying. You seem to be implying that there is some kind of a deep, international conspiracy that is trying to deny us our basic rights as human beings by warning us about the potential adverse affects of continuing to burn fossil fuels. How do scientists warning us about this danger pose a threat to our freedoms? It would seem to be the opposite.
And anyone who thinks that 'BIG corporations like Exxon or Mobil are looking out for our interests, need only to look back at the tobacco industry, leaded gas, clean coal, and if you want to go way back, the Radium Girls. Free enterprise is only there to be taken advantage of by a few completely unscrupulous corporations. Without some kind of oversight, people would be dying from vaping.............
The history of mankind is an unending series of attempts (most successful) of one small group of self-appointed elites, "enslaving" those which they look upon as being their "subjects". Resisting that ongoing efforts has failed in all but a few situations, the USA being one of them. Nevertheless the limitless attempts by such people to reduce you and your freedoms, bit-by-bit as one boils a frog, continue unabated, and the global-warming charade is just one example of such. There is always an endless series of crisis cropping up that demand nothing less than the dimunation of our freedom and lifestyle. See if for what it truly is, see behind the masks worn to see the real motives is critical, but a skill you haven't apparently developed.

If you can't see that the ill-effects of NOT burning fossil fuels is geometrically worse than the side effects of responsibly burning them, you are naive in the extreme. There is simply no other way to put it, and I say that with all due respect.

Big corporations, like medium corporations, like small corporations, like LLCs, like partnerships, like sole proprietorships, are in business to make a profit FOR THEMSELVES. There is simply no other reason(s) to engage in the risk-taking that business entails, and this is neither new nor bad. To expect business to operate with the principle motive of looking after others, is a fools errand.

I thought I recall you, years ago, stating you used to be a contractor? If so, the nature and motivations of those in business should be well-known to you.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
If it is acknowledged that the climate is warming for whatever reason, whether it be a “natural” event that just happens to be occurring 45 times faster than a typical warming cycle, or human co2 emissions driven, then a rising sea is inevitable due to thermal expansion of water.

Denying that would go beyond the highly improbable to the absurd.
Let me know what it starts happening. Something more than a trifling amount.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That’s 5 consecutive days with new record highs for Hilo.
9 days in November have been record highs or tied the record at Hilo.

Other Hawai’i stations have seen record highs this month too.
Yes, given the short time we have been keeping records, and the fact that we continue to emerge from the latest "ice age" this is to be expected, and welcomed, as the alternative "ice age" would be devastating for billions. Not merely inconvenient, or a nuisance, but devestating.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I thought I recall you, years ago, stating you used to be a contractor? If so, the nature and motivations of those in business should be well-known to you.
What's your point? Who has what to gain by foisting some false 'global warming' scare onto the general public? Going to boost sales of AC units? Put Exon and Mobil out of business? You are making no sense, except to perpetuate this 'boogey man in the closet' scenario. No wonder I scarcely visit this site.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What's your point? Who has what to gain by foisting some false 'global warming' scare onto the general public? Going to boost sales of AC units? Put Exon and Mobil out of business? You are making no sense, except to perpetuate this 'boogey man in the closet' scenario. No wonder I scarcely visit this site.
I have already explained it to you, in spades. One more time. Those elites who see themselves as being part of a ruling class, are, step-by-step, in a plethora of areas, "climate change" being but one of them, are reducing your freedom and lifestyle to gain power and control over you.

Far from being a new phenomenon dreamed up by people like myself, it is the very core of the history of mankind. At every turn, some group of power-mongers is demanding some pound of flesh, i.e. freedom/lifestyle from you. Bit by bit you are being reduced to serfs, i.e. subjects of the ruling elites (self-appointed or otherwise).

It is about reducing you and your freedom and your lifestyle until you can be corralled into total submission. Again, it is the history of mankind, albeit being conducted with velvet gloves (so far) in the USA.

To see things clearly, to see behind the masks of pretense they wear, one, however, must take the long and broad view. A myopic viewpoint won't serve you well.

Last edited by Open-D; 11-14-2019 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I have already explained it to you, in spades. One more time. Those elites who see themselves as being part of a ruling class, are, step-by-step, in a plethora of areas, "climate change" being but one of them, are reducing your freedom and lifestyle to gain power and control over you.

Far from being a new phenomenon dreamed up by people like myself, it is the very core of the history of mankind. At every turn, some group of power-mongers is demanding some pound of flesh, i.e. freedom/lifestyle from you. Bit by bit you are being reduced to serfs, i.e. subjects of the ruling elites (self-appointed or otherwise).

It is about reducing you and your freedom and your lifestyle until you can be corralled into total submission. Again, it is the history of mankind, albeit being conducted with velvet gloves (so far) in the USA.

To see things clearly, to see behind the masks of pretense they wear, one, however, must take the long and broad view. A myopic viewpoint won't serve you well.
How in the F%%K is ANYONE reducing my freedom? Ha'awi mai imaha. Sorry, you should seek out some professional help.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:03 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,249,236 times
Quote:

It is a natural and unavoidable phenomenon that is part and parcel of our environment. Man didn't create climate change, nor can he stop it. At best, he may have some minor effects at the edges, such as moving up the time frame for warming to occur by a small amount, but nothing more than that.

For Open D.. I think everything you said so far is based on an idea that you have that man did not cause climate change.. and therefore can do nothing to influence the warming that has occurred.

I believe your total justification for this idea is that the planet has been warmer sometime in the past. Nothing more than that as far as I can tell, please correct me if wrong and give the additional reasons or links (then I can fact check it).

I googled "man has not caused climate change"

No scientific article agrees with you. It would seem that you either came to that conclusion on your own or maybe you heard it on some other source and not the internet?

Do you find it at all odd that you can not back up what you think you know on the internet?

Im also curious.. do you get your climate science from reading articles or from listening to AM talk radio. If you read, please share. I would like to read this reference also.

Have you at all considered that since you cant back up at all what you are saying.. that it is you that has been deceived? Deception marketing has been going on for years and has targeted folks who hate anything liberal or are likely to buy into conspiracy theories. I put some links at the bottom if you want to explore this more.

Note.. since you havent posted any references at all so far, I assumed that you dont have any. Maybe I am wrong and you do.. please post if you do..

I have some references for you on denial marketing programs and funding. There are more if needed..

https://phys.org/news/2013-12-koch-b...s-climate.html
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ktanks-network
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...mp-infographic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii