Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

Further, any trend in weather patterns has a statistically high chance of reverting to a mean in any given year. So while we're definitely seeing a trend, it can change any year and go back to "normal" at any time. Or it may just get hotter and drier over the next 100 years. Who knows.
There are supercomputers at 200 quadrillion instructions per second and as far as I can tell none are telling us we are going to a happy place (a mean or normal).

The last 5 years were the highest in recorded history. I’m happy to get to “mean”. I have very serious doubts we are in for a normal summer. I’d like to be proven wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 09:54 AM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Having followed many of your posts in the investing forum I would say that waterfront on Florida's east coast would be worth a look. Living on a island in the Pacific is certainly beautiful but for how long? No offense to anyone.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Having followed many of your posts in the investing forum I would say that waterfront on Florida's east coast would be worth a look. Living on a island in the Pacific is certainly beautiful but for how long?
All the climate maps show Florida’s east coast (and Florida in general) submerged well before Hawai’i. There is no elevation in Florida.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:56 PM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
All the climate maps show Florida’s east coast (and Florida in general) submerged well before Hawai’i. There is no elevation in Florida.
To be clear is was thinking more of island fever but you are correct much of Florida is close to sea level.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
All the Blaisdell work or renovation has been cancelled due to rail.
that's the official excuse. the county of honolulu is basically broke, and the rail was the elephant that broke its back. county is already struggling with their basic budget and cost of retirement benefits for government employees before the issues with the rail. There's been massive budget cuts in all departments.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:39 PM

80 posts, read 88,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
You may find it difficult to form relationships with the locals, as many of them were born and raised here and are typically set in their circle of friends. That's not to say you can't make friends, but it may take more effort. It will certainly be different than the Midwest. One of the first questions people ask you here is "where you went high school?" Family is very strong here too, often with many generations living together, and everyone knowing someone related to someone else.

Joining clubs and groups will help, but you really gotta put yourself out there. People are friendly, just cautious. I've lived here 20 years. I was born, raised, and went to college in CA, but I've got a lot of family living here, so this always felt like a second home anyway. That being said I'll never feel the same as someone who was born and raised here.

I'm speaking for myself here, but tourists don't really bother me that much. They mostly stick to Waikiki and the tourist hotspots. Sure there are some dumbasses, but you get that anywhere you go. Can't hate on them too much as they are the ones driving our economy. Just know that being a tourist here and living here are very very different things. You should give it a try for a few months or a year before you really commit.
Concur. There's generally an insider vs outsider mentality, local vs non-local, especially if you're a white mainland. Certain parts of the State are whiter than others and more open so to speak. It's not necessarily about your longevity in the islands but the difference in personality, background, etc. That's why plenty Hawaii kids stick together on mainland colleges and such.

For me, tourists bother me much more so than before because the numbers have grown so much and they're showing up everywhere, which I blame on social media, internet, etc. Before they used to be mostly in Waikiki and we could live our lives without disruption, much less so nowadays.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:41 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
Quote:
It was fine.

The Opera started at 7:35 (with music for about 5 minutes) and the final bows came at 10:40. It's long. It was nearly 11:30 before I got out of the parking lot.

The Blaisdell Concert Hall is not designed for an Opera - so the acoustics of both the orchestra and the performers aren't going to be as crisp as at a real Opera house or even a top Broadway show. The sets are extremely basic.

Acts III and IV seemed much better than Acts I and II. Quite a few people left at intermission, I don't think because of the quality of the Opera - probably because it is so long.

Specifics - all of the female performers were much better than their male counterparts. There was only 1 disappointing performer, and that was who played Figaro. Quite frankly, he often got overpowered by the Orchestra. During the curtain call - the performer who played Susanna got the loudest cheers - while Figaro, who took the final bow, got a much more subdued polite applause. (on a different note, it was kinda odd that all the performers were, let me say, kind of robust in size, while the person who played Figaro was this really thin guy, he seemed out of place). I'd call out Susanna, the Count, and Cherubino (a male part played by a female) for their performances.

Although it is subtitled, there are gaps with no subtitles and I didn't understand why. I was in row L which had a good view of the stage, much further back, it might've been harder to hear them.

I'd go with 2.5-3.0 stars (out of 5).

If you don't take Uber/Lyft, parking can be a mess at the Blaisdell - go early. You can always walk over to the Honolulu Club across the street and have a drink or eat, you don't have to be a member to go to the restaurant/bar.
I give it a 3.
I enjoyed TOSCA much more. I guess I prefer a tragedy, plus the TOSCA sets were much more artistic. That whole first scene of Figaro was that drab , dull light green.

The subtitle gap was odd. This story absolutely needs subtitles if you dont know the plot.

Susanna carried the performance, I agree about Figaro, the body sizing differences were distracting.

I noticed the Blasdell Parking price went up to $8.00 from $6.00 for event parking. I remember when it was $3.00.

I was surprised of how many homeless/transients were in the square, after they redid it I would think they would enforce the no loitering better.

It's nice they let you bring your wine to your seats. If I had remembered how long Figaro was, I would have brought 2 glasses in, lol.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

The subtitle gap was odd. This story absolutely needs subtitles if you dont know the plot.

Susanna carried the performance, I agree about Figaro, the body sizing differences were distracting.
Yep - Don't get the subtitle issue, it made no sense. I knew the plot but when singing in Italian would have preferred to know what they are singing - in English. And Figaro was abnormally thin compared to everyone else.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
For me, tourists bother me much more so than before because the numbers have grown so much and they're showing up everywhere, which I blame on social media, internet, etc. Before they used to be mostly in Waikiki and we could live our lives without disruption, much less so nowadays.

I hear this a lot nowadays and I just don't get it. Do people here not realize we are a one-industry state? We have absolutely nothing else to offer the world other than tourism. I think we need to adapt and be far more accepting of tourists "showing up everywhere". Unless you can convince our anemic, useless "leaders" to seriously look at diversifying our economy, get used to it and stop pushing back. Tourists are the bread and butter for locals and provide for much of the standard of living and quality of life here.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
There are supercomputers at 200 quadrillion instructions per second and as far as I can tell none are telling us we are going to a happy place (a mean or normal).

The last 5 years were the highest in recorded history. I’m happy to get to “mean”. I have very serious doubts we are in for a normal summer. I’d like to be proven wrong.
I was talking about trade wind patterns (direction, intensity, annual timing, etc), not the general warming of the planet. There is no scientific evidence that warming of the oceans is causing the trade winds to deviate from a "norm". In fact, we only have about 15 years of data prior to the beginning of the data points used in the study (which utilized 40 years of NOAA data). 15 years is nothing. Scientists have far more data to support a reasonable trajectory for global warming than the future trajectory of trade wind patterns. So the winds could go back to a mean anytime, and no computer is suggesting it will or will not. There simply is not enough data to support any reasonable conclusion.

But yes, it's getting hotter and will likely continue to get hotter over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii