Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:39 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You need to talk to your local and state leaders/authorities about shutting off Hawaii to outsiders instead of posting on City-Data in an annonymous forum under an assumed name.
Already being done bro. They were trying to bring infected cruise ships here, and had already offloaded one that were denied entry by multiple other ports. This practice was only halted because of locals uproar

Old 03-21-2020, 11:56 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
We are in a global Pandemic and yet every day, more and more tourists pour into Hawaii! Get a clue and stop feeling so entitled! Sure, you planned a vacation and don't feel like you should have to sacrifice. What about the people who live here?

We have substandard medical care on most islands and will be quickly overwhelmed if the virus gains a strong foothold here.

The Federal Government has not ended domestic flights yet but the longer they dither, the more will become ill and/or die. The Lt. Governor has threatened to put new arrivals in 14-day quarantine but every day, more tourists arrive.

Come visit later when this is over! Do you really want to be here when the bars, restaurants, swimming pools, tours and even beaches are closed?
Stop being ridiculous,It's a friggin flu strain. If you get it, just keep your behind in the house and it will pass. I'm trying to get to Hawaii soon myself to kiss pretty girls. How do you think I'll do?

Old 03-21-2020, 12:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Stop being ridiculous,It's a friggin flu strain. If you get it, just keep your behind in the house and it will pass. I'm trying to get to Hawaii soon myself to kiss pretty girls. How do you think I'll do?
Thanks for the reality check Doctor.

Any pretty girls here who want to kiss Typhoid Mary?

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-21-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Good luck getting that heard in court by the time the whole issue is over, who will likely declare it a moot point and dismiss the case. The judge, likely a senior citizen, probably wouldn't take that kindly to someone attempting to fight a quarantine order on a disease that likely would kill him if he contracts it.
That's the beautiful thing about the federal court system. Not only can cases be filed, "heard," and ruled on without having a physical conference (I'm not sure how the Hawaii state court system works) at the trial level, but the same is true for the appeals court level (particularly for cases for emergency stays). And, unlike any federal trial court judge sitting in Honolulu, the 9th Circuit sits outside the state and is compromised of judges from multiple states . . . out of 29 active judges, only one is assigned from Hawaii, and he's a Trump appointee for what its worth, though he is a senior citizen ). Still, as I mentioned, I hope that reasonable people wouldn't fight (and that they wouldn't stand a chance legally) a sound quarantine policy. But that makes getting any such quarantine policy right (legally) all the more important. At the end of the day, if I'm Ige, I'm not risking a constitutionally shaky quarantine policy being struck down. No, I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the beautiful thing about the federal court system. Not only can cases be filed, "heard," and ruled on without having a physical conference (I'm not sure how the Hawaii state court system works) at the trial level, but the same is true for the appeals court level (particularly for cases for emergency stays). And, unlike any federal trial court judge sitting in Honolulu, the 9th Circuit sits outside the state and is compromised of judges from multiple states
I'd rather force quarantine and if someone has the money to duke it out in court - so be it. Lets test emergency powers.

I'd rather do that than take no action.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd rather force quarantine and if someone has the money to duke it out in court - so be it. Lets test emergency powers.

I'd rather do that than take no action.
That's the other side of the coin. And if you get the right judges to hear your case (at the appeals court level, that's more of a luck of the draw, even at the 9th Circuit now that Trump has appointed 10 of its judges), the chances of success on such a strategy can increase drastically. Its definitely something for folks like Ige to weigh when making such a decision.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
That's the other side of the coin. And if you get the right judges to hear your case (at the appeals court level, that's more of a luck of the draw, even at the 9th Circuit now that Trump has appointed 10 of its judges), the chances of success on such a strategy can increase drastically. Its definitely something for folks like Ige to weigh when making such a decision.
There is no downside in the decision to quarantine all arrivals. I can't think of one.

We can do nothing - keep infected visitors coming

Or-

We can order a 14 day quarantine for all arrivals -

And - it may not go to court (lawyers cost money)

Or - it goes to court and the State wins

Or - it goes to court and you lose - which is where you started if you did nothing - but, you actually did something.

All sorts of other scenarios could happen - maybe the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet thinks its a good idea to reduce visitor arrivals (to not infect the military)- he gets the ear of the Secretary of the Navy (or whoever is chain of command is) who get the ear of the President - who declares an emergency specific to Hawaii due to its unique location

Old 03-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
There is no downside in the decision to quarantine all arrivals. I can't think of one.

We can do nothing - keep infected visitors coming

Or-

We can order a 14 day quarantine for all arrivals -

And - it may not go to court (lawyers cost money)

Or - it goes to court and the State wins

Or - it goes to court and you lose - which is where you started if you did nothing - but, you actually did something.

All sorts of other scenarios could happen - maybe the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet thinks its a good idea to reduce visitor arrivals (to not infect the military)- he gets the ear of the Secretary of the Navy (or whoever is chain of command is) who get the ear of the President - who declares an emergency specific to Hawaii due to its unique location
The ACLU or any other public service civil liberties group would be happy to take up such a case, pro bono. Even in today's times, I'd wager.

The problem with going to court and losing is that it could weaken your hand going forward, especially if the courts rule in a way that severely restricts how you can issue such quarantines going forward. That's why I advocate enacting the most legally sound policy to begin with. Ultimately, I disagree that this is a choice between quarantining all visitors for the pure status of them being visitors vs. doing nothing. There is some wiggle room in between, specifically with regards to how such a quarantine would ultimately look and work.

The military approach is even less likely (though possible) in my view, as there are so many other ways to reduce the risk to military personnel, to include requiring self quarantines for military service members to limiting access to base and the NEX to uniformed service members only; Pearl Harbor has already restricted the gym to active duty military only.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:

The military approach is even less likely (though possible) in my view, as there are so many other ways to reduce the risk to military personnel, to include requiring self quarantines for military service members to limiting access to base and the NEX to uniformed service members only; Pearl Harbor has already restricted the gym to active duty military only.
Much of the military in Hawaii does not live on base nor is there enough base housing to restrict them to base.

But here is why I single out the Navy, imagine a symptom free Navy member getting deployed on a submarine or Aircraft Carrier who caught it from a visitor (where quite a bit of the Navy does not live on base) - There are 30 something Corona cases in Hawaii, quarantining each arrival can actually stop this here

Old 03-21-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Much of the military in Hawaii does not live on base nor is there enough base housing to restrict them to base.

But here is why I single out the Navy, imagine a symptom free Navy member getting deployed on a submarine or Aircraft Carrier who caught it from a visitor (where quite a bit of the Navy does not live on base) - There are 30 something Corona cases in Hawaii, quarantining each arrival can actually stop this here
True, but that doesn't negate my point. You can adequately protect the military without taking such drastic measures as stopping travel to Hawaii from outsiders/quarantining all visitors (note, this would only really be effective if you stopped ALL travel, including for residents traveling on and off island as returning residents can also bring the virus back with them just as easily as visitors can). Self quarantining (whether in on or off base housing) and limiting activity to base locations/off base military stores to military (and closing those establishments to non-military) would work as well.

For the record, sailors assigned to ships have contracted the coronavirus. The Navy's response has been reasonable and responsible (self quarantine and continuous monitoring). I doubt that SECDEF would even take such a proposal from one of his commanders up to the president. At least not at this stage. If POTUS hasn't sought to institute a national travel ban now when New York City has more than 10,000 cases I believe, I highly doubt that a travel ban to Hawaii would be instituted due to several dozen cases.

I totally agree that quarantining every arrival (and if every arrival, including residents, are quarantined, I think such a policy would be on much stronger legal ground) could stop the spread in Hawaii. I'm merely touching on the legal concerns that such a policy could bring about, specifically as it relates to only quarantining visitors for the pure sake of them being visitors, which is what I have taken issue with as a legal matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii