Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Why do you need the federal government to turn off flights? Can't your governor do it? You need to be pushing this to local lawmakers.
Only the Federal Government can close airspace. States also cannot ban people traveling from one state to another - only at the Federal level.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
All arrivals must quarantine 14 days beginning Mar 26.

Expect no commercial flying after that date. If you are a Hawaii resident - get home now.

This is what I would have advised if they were going to go the quarantine route.

Quote:
Only the Federal Government can close airspace. States also cannot ban people traveling from one state to another - only at the Federal level.
Yep. Congress controls interstate commerce, which travel between states falls. Congress has given such authority to the FAA for air travel, and it'll be the president's call to implement if need be. Note, its a thornier legal debate over the extent that Congress could close off all interstate travel (quite frankly, it would be uncharted waters), but I'd wager that any such call would be upheld by the courts as well. Maybe not at the Supreme Court level (the Supreme Court has a 5 justice conservative majority that is more hostile to an expansive interpretation of the Interstate Commerce clause than previous Courts have been), but by the time that the Supreme Court decided to step into such a battle, the period of restriction likely would have passed.

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for - many people wanted a visitor free Hawaii. You are about to get it.
Yep. This will hurt many, but hopefully its for the best.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-21-2020 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 11:19 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
Im in NJ, but I do travel to Hawaii every year. I'm on day number 7 of staying in my home. I would NEVER take a trip to the islands now, probably not for the rest of this year, to keep the Ohana safe.
I saw on the news how many people were at some of the beaches. Unblievable! Some people are idiots and only thinking of themselves!!

Stay safe

Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
The 14 day quarantine of arrivals is needed. I wish the Governor would have acted in the best interests of the citizens and taken this step immediately... before waiting for a growing number of cases already hit.

And it is true that many residents returning to Hawaii have (and will be) bringing it back with them. I just read about Daniel Dae Kim returning home from NY and didn’t feel good on the plane. Immediately got tested when he arrived and diagnosed with Covid. Unfortunately, I think even waiting until March 28 is going to be letting more of the virus in.

I’ve read so many posts on other forums from people who want their vacation no matter what. It’s appalling how people abuse their freedom, and continue to do so. I saw the photo’s a couple days ago of crowded Florida beaches full of spring break partiers. Sadly, I think it is going to hit us all really hard in the next 2 months. I’m all in favor of over-reacting now, instead of waiting for a huge crisis and being too little too late.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Congress controls interstate commerce, which travel between states falls. Congress has given such authority to the FAA for air travel, and it'll be the president's call to implement if need be. Note, its a thornier legal debate over the extent that Congress could close off all interstate travel (quite frankly, it would be uncharted waters), but I'd wager that any such call would be upheld by the courts as well.
Like I always say "Evil Empire". But states still have inherent sovereignty and have an obligation to promote the general welfare of its people. Containing a pandemic to prevent the spread to other states is a reasonable preemption of federal power.

But the current administration is very staunch nationalist--putting the federal (a.k.a. national) interest over local communities. It's all about preservation of power! No state or local official(s) have been brave enough to preempt federal power yet, even here in the Greater Houston MSA in the Republic of Texas--chalk it up to the homogenization of the U.S. post-WW2 that deemphasized the local level for nationalism. The shutdown of non-essential businesses started by city/county officials in the large metros forced the State of Texas to extend those measures statewide. (Did Hawaii do a top-down approach?)

If the FAA refuses to shut down airports to halt the rapid transcontinental spread of the virus, cities and airport authorities could encourage a shutdown by turning off power and water--the city/airport authority pays those bills after all and the airport could still operate (less efficiently) without power/water.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Like I always say "Evil Empire". But states still have inherent sovereignty and have an obligation to promote the general welfare of its people. Containing a pandemic to prevent the spread to other states is a reasonable preemption of federal power.

But the current administration is very staunch nationalist--putting the federal (a.k.a. national) interest over local communities. It's all about preservation of power! No state or local official(s) have been brave enough to preempt federal power yet, even here in the Greater Houston MSA in the Republic of Texas--chalk it up to the homogenization of the U.S. post-WW2 that deemphasized the local level for nationalism. The shutdown of non-essential businesses started by city/county officials in the large metros forced the State of Texas to extend those measures statewide. (Did Hawaii do a top-down approach?)

If the FAA refuses to shut down airports to halt the rapid transcontinental spread of the virus, cities and airport authorities could encourage a shutdown by turning off power and water--the city/airport authority pays those bills after all and the airport could still operate (less efficiently) without power/water.
Shutting off water and power to an operating airport is undoubtedly a safety violation.

Our Governor FINALLY did the right thing by making a vacation here simply too uncomfortable.

People will now reschedule their vacations. Who knows when it will be safe again?

Most of the current Covid cases in Hawaii are returning residents. They would probably receive better medical care if they stayed on the mainland.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-22-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 01:50 PM

With 100,000 military members on island - I don't think this is the State to take on the Federal Government

Old 03-22-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True, but that doesn't negate my point. You can adequately protect the military without taking such drastic measures as stopping travel to Hawaii from outsiders/quarantining all visitors (note, this would only really be effective if you stopped ALL travel, including for residents traveling on and off island as returning residents can also bring the virus back with them just as easily as visitors can). Self quarantining (whether in on or off base housing) and limiting activity to base locations/off base military stores to military (and closing those establishments to non-military) would work as well.
Marine at Camp Smith just tested positive for Corona

Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Marine at Camp Smith just tested positive for Corona
Ironically, even if the quarantining of all arrivals via commercial and private airlines effectively shuts down commercial and private flights to Hawaii, the military would be the most likely carrier and vector for this virus going forward as Ige's order has no effect on military movements. And essential and operational military movements (whether by military aircraft or commercially chartered military flights) will still take place. Still, it won't even need to come to that as Ige's order is largely unenforceable (absent a complete shutdown and application of the rule to all travelers) as the government already acknowledged (and then it doesn't even apply to some people like flight attendants).

Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

No. And we literally fought a long and bloody war over illegitimate preemption of federal authority (in that case, the authority concerning the method that states could leave the Union). There is no such thing as a "reasonable preemption of federal power." Either states already have a right to act under the Constitution (which they don't under this debate), or the federal government has to explicitly authorize states to act.

Note, as to your latter recommendation, that would be an unconstitutional interference with federal authority (the move would be squarely designed to obstruct federal authority, which the Supreme Court has ruled time and time again violates the Constitution).

You know what happened to states in rebellion during the Civil War, right? They were excluded from participating in the presidential and other federal elections during that period. If California, Hawaii and others want to go this route, they do so at their own peril. Thankfully, constitutional heads have prevailed thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii