Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 08:38 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Working from what you've seen? You work in a clinical setting where you conduct clinical trials? Anecdotal comments and observations not backed up with data created from randomized double blind placebo controlled studies are just a bunch of noise. You can form a hypothsis, however you are wasting your time without testing that hypothsis with emperical data.
I’m just a retired cop, but I think hydroxychloroquin is more than a placebo. Just saying here, but the media has been on a full blown attack on that drug. Something to wonder why. It’s working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 09:12 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m just a retired cop, but I think hydroxychloroquin is more than a placebo. Just saying here, but the media has been on a full blown attack on that drug. Something to wonder why. It’s working.
Yes, clinically it has shown success.

Quote:
"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."
https://abc7.com/health/la-doctor-se...id-19/6079864/

Quote:
"An international poll of more than 6,000 doctors released Thursday found that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus.

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, of 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options.

. . .

Azithromycin, known by the brand name Zithromax or Z-Pak, was rated the second-most effective therapy at 32%

Hydroxychloroquine, which is sold under the brand name Plaquenil, was prescribed mainly in the United States for the most severe cases, but not so in other countries."
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ve-therapy-do/

Quote:
"Hydroxychloroquine may not be a 'miracle cure,' but there is enough to 'justify its use' at this point, said Dr. Marcus Zervos, head of the infectious diseases division at Henry Fort Health System."
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-he...onavirus-drugs

Quote:
"State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor . . .

'It was less than two hours' before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection.
'It has a lot to do with the president . . . bringing it up,' Whitsett said. 'He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority."
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...mp/2955430001/

I get Dr. Fauci's and others' concern about not wanting to give people false hope over hydroxychloroquine (and Trump has consistently said that he may work and it may not work), but it is criminal in my opinion to not offer the possibility of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment to covid where it has been some potential for success. An official scientific trial period would be ideal before this drug would be brought up under normal circumstances, but we don't have time for an official trial period as people are dying today. We can't wait 6 months for a valid study to be completed today when there is evidence to support that the drug has helped many today. It is, like Trump has said, like right to try. For the life of me, I can't understand why some have taken issue with this.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I get Dr. but it is criminal in my opinion to not offer the possibility of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment to covid where it has been some potential for success.
I’m sure if I got this and was hospitalized and the hospital had it I’d be able to get it - there are some nasty side effects though.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:15 PM

64 posts, read 62,060 times
Remdesivir looks promising.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...nkeys-covid-19

Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
^

Just a treatment, but if the medication was widely spread, the disease would a lot less scary knowing there's effective treatment. Even moreso less scary is if they come up with a inhalant or oral form of the medication.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Ivermectin is showing some good results. It is normally used to kill lice, scabies, and other parasites and it is well-tolerated in high doses.

When I took cloroquine for malaria prevention in 1978 in India and Nepal, it made me extremely ill.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:21 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I’m sure if I got this and was hospitalized and the hospital had it I’d be able to get it - there are some nasty side effects though.
Oh, its available as treatment in most cases. I'd imagine Hawaii would be no different. But some governors have explicitly taken steps to make it less available and others have continued to bash some for even mentioning it as a potential treatment.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:13 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
If this thing drags on, which unfortunately is likely it will, the unemployment benefits will be extended. It was done with previous recessions, which were far less in scope and depth.

Not trying to pry, but are you a CPA? I'd imagine the firms are still busy, recession or not.
I'm not a CPA. As my name implies I wish I was I took the test twice almost passing both times then got so frustrated I threw away all my study materials and vowed to never touch that test again. I heard financial services were deemed essential so I'd also think CPA firms are still open, though I haven't talked to anyone from my former CPA firm so I can't be sure.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:48 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm not a CPA. As my name implies I wish I was I took the test twice almost passing both times then got so frustrated I threw away all my study materials and vowed to never touch that test again. I heard financial services were deemed essential so I'd also think CPA firms are still open, though I haven't talked to anyone from my former CPA firm so I can't be sure.
They're all open and working from home, to the extent possible. Busy as ever, from what I understand. The way the recession will hurt them the worse is uncollectible bills.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:18 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Are those tribal societies not free? Isn’t every individual in those tribal societies not have uniqueness? Does it not go against human nature to be oppressed and conform? Whether you live in a modern western civil society or some remote tribe, human nature is human nature and all humans have been tainted by sin. Is living in a remote tribe more pleasant? Depends on the person. We can go as far back as the time of Adam and Eve. Maybe real human nature is to live in a time when there was no sin in the world. That is truly how God created humans to live, in a world with no disease or sickness. A world with no death and misery. Humans who are perfect and without blemish. If you want to talk about how mankind was intended to live, we can go that far back. God created mankind for perfection with free will.
Ah. My bad. Trying to inject science into a conversation with a bible literalist. Covid-19 is god’s response to human sin. Got it.

What was I posting back a ways about “mindset”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii