Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 04:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Houston looking to furlough all city employees except fire/police - 20% cut pale in comparison.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/...-pro-tem-says/

"Houston Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin, who also chairs the city's budget and fiscal affairs committee, said the city will likely furlough all employees who are not in the police or fire departments to make up an expected $200 million budget shortfall."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 02:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Houston looking to furlough all city employees except fire/police - 20% cut pale in comparison.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/...-pro-tem-says/

"Houston Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin, who also chairs the city's budget and fiscal affairs committee, said the city will likely furlough all employees who are not in the police or fire departments to make up an expected $200 million budget shortfall."
Hawaii is different. We'd rather run the entire state government into the ground to avoid cutting government employee salaries.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Hawaii is different. We'd rather run the entire state government into the ground to avoid cutting government employee salaries.
Not different in that both require a balanced budget. Where will the $1.5 billion projected shortfall be made up? Ige has until June 30, 2021 to balance it. He delayed pay cuts for state workers. The longer he waits the most drastic the cuts will have to be. How can you make up that shortfall without cutting worker salaries? I have no idea but something will need to be done, and fast.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Not different in that both require a balanced budget. Where will the $1.5 billion projected shortfall be made up? Ige has until June 30, 2021 to balance it. He delayed pay cuts for state workers. The longer he waits the most drastic the cuts will have to be. How can you make up that shortfall without cutting worker salaries? I have no idea but something will need to be done, and fast.
I agree - they were hoping the Feds would give States bailout money. I don't see that happening at the moment. The press has interestingly been giving Ige a free pass on the issue during the press conferences - I don't see what magic accounting tricks they can come up with to avoid the cuts. Hawaii's budget is actually simplistic - I see brutal cuts ahead for the State - only Fed money can help.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
I agree - they were hoping the Feds would give States bailout money. I don't see that happening at the moment. The press has interestingly been giving Ige a free pass on the issue during the press conferences - I don't see what magic accounting tricks they can come up with to avoid the cuts. Hawaii's budget is actually simplistic - I see brutal cuts ahead for the State - only Fed money can help.
With the $600 per week "Federal bonus" to unemployment set to run until July 31st, the State should have furloughed many/most employees, knowing they would receive decent compensation. Chances are good the bonus will be extended too.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:22 AM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:

At the same time, demands for state funded services are likely going to increase too. Public school attendance will likely go up as private tuition has suddenly become unaffordable. I guess somewhere just a little south of 20% school age children in Hawai'i attend private school. The list of categories and their associated demand by state residents will grow.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
With the $600 per week "Federal bonus" to unemployment set to run until July 31st, the State should have furloughed many/most employees, knowing they would receive decent compensation. Chances are good the bonus will be extended too.
Besides the optics looking terrible - State governments can't pivot that quickly.

Logistically and legally - you run into limitations with all the union contracts - seniority - benefits (cut all the healthcare?) - vacation payouts, etc

Old 05-07-2020, 02:21 PM

Legislature finally set to return - the scary part of the article, is all the proposals are followed by - and the money will need to be repaid later....

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...e-budget-hole/

Old 05-07-2020, 02:44 PM

64 posts, read 61,815 times
Quote:
Legislature finally set to return - the scary part of the article, is all the proposals are followed by - and the money will need to be repaid later....

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...e-budget-hole/
The first paragraph says it all. "Hawaii lawmakers are planning a press conference this morning to announce they will return to the state Capitol on Monday to get back to work, and their primary mission is to find ways to cope with a looming budget shortfall and prevent furloughs and pay cuts for public workers."

Old 05-07-2020, 02:53 PM

64 posts, read 61,815 times
The feds bailout of the state should include austerity measures targeted at public workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii