Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 08:00 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,382,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
How do you know it is not our nature to live in civilized societies? I do know there is no one who wants to live in an uncivilized oppressive society. That is not natural, but why not in a civilized society? Like you said, you don’t want to live as a Hunter gatherer starting fires by slamming rocks? If that is our nature then why isn’t mankind living like that now? For the overwhelming vast majority of us, we do live in large societies some better than others and doing well. Because of these societies we are able to travel into space, have advanced medicine, no starvation, and on and on. See, our Founders very well understood the nature of man and built a nation that conforms to the nature of man. They created a limited representative government by the people that is run by the people that all of man is born with unalienable rights that can’t be given to us or taken by man. The leftists are doing all they can to destroy it. Truth is, in America, even poor people today live better than kings and queens 200 years ago. Maybe it’s our nature to progress and not live day to day wondering where the next meal will come. Liberty, private property, individualism is what man strives for.
I just identified the source of my statement on why we are not designed to live in societies larger than 150 individuals. The explanation is found in Dunbar’s Number. Dunbar’s Number isn’t voodoo or tin-foil-hat stuff, officer. It’s mainstream science.

I didn’t say anything about “civilized”, other than the definition of civilized is highly subjective.

I also did not say I don’t want to live as a hunter-gatherer. I said “I didn’t say I want to live as a hunter-gatherer”. Catch the difference? (I also said maybe I might like it.)

Why isn’t mankind living our biological design now?
Well, why does cancer occur, growing out of control from healthy cell origins?

Space travel is completely unnecessary.

Advanced medicine is also completely unnecessary. Most disease treated by today’s advanced medicine is lifestyle in origin ... caused by ignorant and unnecessary indulgences, by toxic applications of technology, and by the oppressive stresses of unnecessary competition in overcrowded societies. You are suggesting that it’s awesome that we have created amazing technologies to cure unnecessary disasters we stupidly bring on ourselves.

Starvation? Rarely happened to primitive peoples. Starvation is a result of overpopulation and the inequities of large scale civilization.

You could learn about these things by reading both anthropologist geneticists I have cited: Robin Dunbar and Spencer Wells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 08:01 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I believe there are reasonable uses for the confiscatory (taxing) powers of Federal, State, and Local governments. Reasonable people can have difference of opinion of what those confiscated dollars are to be used for.

To rail against the general idea of the government confiscating dollars from working citizens and using them for collective purposes is juvenile, and ignores how much of organized society operates.
What I find to be the case most often is that these people don't want the confiscation to stop, they just want the confiscated dollars to be distributed differently, supporting their own priorities.

Take the fine people of NY, they have some of their dollars confiscated (taxed) to pay for all sorts of collective purposes (yes, socialized tasks!). They spend some of it on snow removal, some of it on trash collection, road maintenance, etc., and I bet some of those confiscated dollars also help support things like pensions for retired police officers.

Are you suggesting all that confiscation be stopped, or just used to pay for things you want, and benefit from?

Anyway, I doubt either one of us is going to change the other one's mind. Frankly, I have become tired of this discussion.
I try to keep things pretty simple. There are Constitutional operating costs of government like protecting our borders, defending our nation from enemies abroad and from within, creating rule of law and enforcing those laws on the federal, state, and local levels. The purpose of Government is a limited one that is run by the people for the people and its powers are clearly outlined in the Constitution. When government confiscates wealth to redistribute to another that is not within the confines of operating the government, that is theft. Taking from Peter to give to Paul is theft.

Our nation is $30 trillion in debt and $300 trillion in unfunded liabilities debt. I can’t even wrap my mind around that number. This debt will destroy our nation. It is unsustainable. Our entire national annual GDP doesn’t even cover that debt. It’s not even close. So every year we are burying ourselves more and more in debt. All this and the government wants to confiscate more and more and spend more and more. That is what takes us back to the video I posted. The flute I build and create is confiscated every time I build a new one, I’m going to stop making flutes. When I stop making flutes, there will be no flutes to confiscate and redistribute. This is why communism fails every time. Communism goes against the nature of man. It is natural for man to keep the wealth we create. You might say that’s greedy, but so is communism.

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2021 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I try to keep things pretty simple. There are Constitutional operating costs of government like protecting our borders, defending our nation from enemies abroad and from within, creating rule of law and enforcing those laws on the federal, state, and local levels. The purpose of Government is a limited one that is run by the people for the people and its powers are clearly outlined in the Constitution. When government confiscates wealth to redistribute to another that is not within the confines of operating the government, that is theft. Taking from Peter to give to Paul is theft.

Our nation is $30 trillion in debt and $300 trillion in unfunded liabilities debt. I can’t even wrap my mind around that number. This debt will destroy our nation. It is unsustainable. Our entire national annual GDP doesn’t even cover that debt. It’s not even close. So every year we are burying ourselves more and more in debt. All this and the government wants to confiscate more and more and spend more and more. That is what takes us back to the video I posted. The flute I build and create is confiscated every time I build a new one, I’m going to stop making flutes. When I stop making flutes, there will be no flutes to confiscate and redistribute. This is why communism fails every time. Communism goes against the nature of man. It is natural for man to keep the wealth we create. You might say that’s greedy, but so is communism.
No, it’s not. It is unnatural to create wealth.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:26 PM

451 posts, read 412,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why? Her work is about the economies of cities. Cities are a consequence of over population.

Are you suggesting that humankind lived for hundreds of thousands of years unnaturally as hunter-gatherers and then suddenly realized their true nature when we discovered agriculture and transitioned from the Paleolithic era to the neolithic?

Because, if you are, perhaps you should read anthropologist geneticist Spencer Wells ... who is about as respected in his field as Einstein is in his.

Actually, the only thing I am suggesting, actually, recommending, is a book you may enjoy reading. It is not on the syllabus, and its content's won't be on the exam.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I just identified the source of my statement on why we are not designed to live in societies larger than 150 individuals. The explanation is found in Dunbar’s Number. Dunbar’s Number isn’t voodoo or tin-foil-hat stuff, officer. It’s mainstream science.

I didn’t say anything about “civilized”, other than the definition of civilized is highly subjective.

I also did not say I don’t want to live as a hunter-gatherer. I said “I didn’t say I want to live as a hunter-gatherer”. Catch the difference? (I also said maybe I might like it.)

Why isn’t mankind living our biological design now?
Well, why does cancer occur, growing out of control from healthy cell origins?

Space travel is completely unnecessary.

Advanced medicine is also completely unnecessary. Most disease treated by today’s advanced medicine is lifestyle in origin ... caused by ignorant and unnecessary indulgences, by toxic applications of technology, and by the oppressive stresses of unnecessary competition in overcrowded societies. You are suggesting that it’s awesome that we have created amazing technologies to cure unnecessary disasters we stupidly bring on ourselves.

Starvation? Rarely happened to primitive peoples. Starvation is a result of overpopulation and the inequities of large scale civilization.

You could learn about these things by reading both anthropologist geneticists I have cited: Robin Dunbar and Spencer Wells.
Wonder where he got that 150 number from? I live in a large society within a small group of four. I’m pretty extreme. Is it mainstream science? Never heard of that.

I don’t think civilized is subjective. It means what it says.

I guess I misunderstood you. Sounded like you didn’t want to live like a Hunter gatherer. You still can if you want.

I disagree living as Hunter gatherer is our ultimate biological design and to live the way we do today is not cancerous. You will disagree with me why there is cancer.

Space travel might be unnecessary, yet we are capable of it. Wonder why that it.

People seem to be living long healthy bountiful lives today.

I have yet to see a malnourished poor person in our nation.

You are definitely a dreamer born 300,000 years too late. For me, I like to eat cheeseburgers. Least we can go camping to get in touch with our primitive roots.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
No, it’s not. It is unnatural to create wealth.
And yet all of mankind creates wealth and has been doing it for thousands of years. Seems pretty natural to me. In fact, Man has been creating wealth since the beginning of man.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Actually, the only thing I am suggesting, actually, recommending, is a book you may enjoy reading. It is not on the syllabus, and its content's won't be on the exam.
Ah, well thanks.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,112,362 times
Everyone commenting here needs to take a few minutes to enjoy this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTYahP6kGU

Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Good news - if you are a State employee, no furlough in 2021.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:20 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,069,536 times
So a thread about nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii