Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 06:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Again, why would the government care about our population growing? How does that benefit them for our population to not grow?
Resources and money are finite. Too many people people puts a burden on resources and costs money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 06:15 PM

344 posts, read 251,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
To provides incentives to have less children. You only need a fertility rate of 2.1 to keep the population stable - and you don't really need anywhere close to 2.1 when you consider immigration.

While I agree there would be some benefits to limiting population growth, I don't think many people would like the implications of that on the economy. The expanding economy, stock markets, real estate, etc., that most people now rely on to build wealth need an expanding population to continue to grow.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:19 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Resources and money are finite. Too many people people puts a burden on resources and costs money.
Our rulers just print more. All is good. Here is a novel idea, how about give them nothing. Since when is it the responsibility of our representative government to feed the children of those who choose to be irresponsible? The downfall of that is, the government becomes less powerful.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:09 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,069,536 times
Quote:
Our rulers just print more. the government becomes less powerful.
I probably shouldn't but who are these people?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...69&FORM=VDQVAP

Old 02-09-2021, 06:17 AM

1,014 posts, read 481,099 times
Do you think Governor David Ige is running out of money by now? I don't think he is getting any fan fare from the tourism industry. In December 2020, hotel occupancy in Hawai'i was at 23.8% filled across the state of Hawai'i. This is definitely a recession in the tourist industry. There are no tourist coming to Hawai'i. That means all the hotels have either temporary closed their operation or laid off most of their workers due to this down turn in passenger arrivals into the state of Hawai'i. Big deal? Okay. But no one is getting any thing out of this pandemic. No money. Nothing.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I probably shouldn't but who are these people?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...69&FORM=VDQVAP
Depends whether or not you believe we are ruled or governed. I lean more toward the former.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Depends whether or not you believe we are ruled or governed. I lean more toward the former.
So you voted for rulers? Pretty sure it does not work that way.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

Conceptually I like the concept of paying for not having children rather than paying people to have more and more children.
Why not just make it more inconvenient to have more children. Paying poor people just doesn't sit quite right with me but I can see it as a short term remedy. It is not just poor people that have too many children. See my earlier post mentioning sports people that have multiple kids with multiple mothers. Even if the sports stars keep their wealth these children are not going to get the attention they need. I say you should have to do a certain amount of service time per child that would contribute to your involvement with that child. Maybe a 2 week stint working in their school per child. Maybe pay them if they are under a certain income threshold. Require the employers to provide the time but not the pay. That seems more fair.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
So you voted for rulers? Pretty sure it does not work that way.
It definitely works that way. You just don’t see it. Do you really believe we are governed any more?

Old 02-09-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Why not just make it more inconvenient to have more children. Paying poor people just doesn't sit quite right with me but I can see it as a short term remedy. It is not just poor people that have too many children. See my earlier post mentioning sports people that have multiple kids with multiple mothers. Even if the sports stars keep their wealth these children are not going to get the attention they need. I say you should have to do a certain amount of service time per child that would contribute to your involvement with that child. Maybe a 2 week stint working in their school per child. Maybe pay them if they are under a certain income threshold. Require the employers to provide the time but not the pay. That seems more fair.
That’s a pipe dream. Will never happen. They are exactly where the government wants them, dependent upon them. The more people are dependent on the government the more powerful the government becomes. They will just print more money making it less valuable and they become even more powerful. The ruling elite does not care if the system comes crashing down, they have all insulated themselves.

The government will always pump money to the teachers unions. That’s too much a major voting block to ignore and a great place for children to be indoctrinated.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 02-09-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii