Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 09:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

... estimated nearly 300 school employees killed by the coronavirus in the U.S. since the outbreak took hold. ...

And more than that have been killed by eating at McDonalds - yawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 09:55 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Still at it, eh? There have been deaths among teachers and school employees. Ever occur to you that if the rate is low it just might be due to most schools being closed since very early on in the pandemic?

From last mid-Nov:
If Trump believed in vaccinating teachers to reopen schools, it would have been a great idea to NYF.

The fact that 76% of polled Americans believe it makes it a bad idea to NYF.

To me, vaccinating teachers seems like a reasonable compromise to allow reopening of schools.

Apparently the 76% who were polled agree with me.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

If the question was - should bus drivers get the vaccine, I suspect it would be 76%

If the question was, given the vast majority of covid deaths are people 65 and over, do you think healthy teachers in their 20's to 50's get the vaccine instead of people 65 and over - would not be 76%.

Quite frankly, incredibly selfish for any healthy teacher under 65 to be prioritized over older Americans.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If the question was - should bus drivers get the vaccine, I suspect it would be 76%

If the question was, given the vast majority of covid deaths are people 65 and over, do you think healthy teachers in their 20's to 50's get the vaccine instead of people 65 and over - would not be 76%.

Quite frankly, incredibly selfish for any healthy teacher under 65 to be prioritized over older Americans.
I don't agree that it's selfish. A person 65 or older usually has the option of staying secluded. A teacher with more than 100 kids per day does not have that option. (I used to have 240 students per day/every day.)

California just passed SB-86 to reopen. It requires public health departments to offer vaccines to teachers. Bus drivers and others with high contact should be included.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...249349230.html

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...19-school-plan

Old 02-19-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I don't agree that it's selfish. A person 65 or older usually has the option of staying secluded. A teacher with more than 100 kids per day does not have that option. (I used to have 240 students per day/every day.)
A healthy teacher seeing 1,000 kids a day is not likely to get sick. We know the science tells us that.

We also know 81% of Covid deaths are people 65 and over. 81%, think about that. Vaccinating a healthy 30 year old who overwhelmingly will not get sic over a 65+ person is not ethical.

I'll edit to add if I was a teacher, sure I'd want a vaccine. But I can't make a business case why healthy teachers should get a vaccine over people 65+. Otherwise, why are teachers prioritized over mass transit workers, grocery store workers, restaurant workers, etc who probably interact with far more people everyday

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-19-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 12:58 PM

The difference is that when teachers are forced to return to work they no longer have a choice in remaining secluded. Retired people usually do have that choice.

And (to nitpick ) what about the 64 year-old teacher? He/she is not magically protected by age. There are a lot of older teachers who can't afford to retire because they take such a huge hit in pay when they do.

The much-vaunted teacher retirement is generally not that great. Certainly nowhere near what a cop receives.

My former girlfriend in Ca. recently had me run her retirement numbers. She would receive less than 40% of what she now earns. If she stays until age 60, she will receive 50%.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-19-2021 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 02:51 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:
Still at it, eh? There have been deaths among teachers and school employees. Ever occur to you that if the rate is low it just might be due to most schools being closed since very early on in the pandemic?

From last mid-Nov:
Yes, there have been deaths among teachers and school employees, but you need to reread my post. There is not a single case in our nation where a teacher has contracted Covid from a student and died. Not one. Most schools are still closed, I agree and many schools are blended learning. The vast majority of private schools have been fully open and the YMCA and programs like that and day cares have been open. There are states that have been fully open where students are in the classroom throughout the US. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of students who have been in the classroom with tens of thousands of teachers and not one teacher died of Covid by contracting the virus from a student. Not a single case that I am aware of has been reported.

If we are going to do science, all the data available proves teachers are not vulnerable being in the classroom with students. That’s a fact.

ABC is not news, it’s propaganda. They are the Pravda media.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The difference is that when teachers are forced to return to work they no longer have a choice in remaining secluded. Retired people usually do have that choice.
Why teachers and not mass transit employees- restaurant workers - grocery store employees- what is the logic to prioritize teachers over them?

Old 02-19-2021, 03:14 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:

From last mid-Nov:
Quote:
If Trump believed in vaccinating teachers to reopen schools, it would have been a great idea to NYF.

The fact that 76% of polled Americans believe it makes it a bad idea to NYF.

To me, vaccinating teachers seems like a reasonable compromise to allow reopening of schools.

I operate in facts and data. I don’t trust any poll from the Pravda media. You can get any desired result for a poll in the way you ask the question.

Unlike you, I’m not a sycophant and most definitely do not subscribe to groupthink. I could care less what a group of people say. Because many people say something they believe to be true doesn’t make it true. Most people once thought the earth was flat, so by your logic, that must be true? I care what the facts are. By nature, I’m a cynic and skeptic. I prefer to see the forest through the trees. I like to not accept things on its surface, but rather ask second and third questions. This is what we call critical thinking. You have been in academia for far too long where such a concept has escaped you.

So, all the data out there we know Covid has an extremely high survival rate among healthy younger people. By younger I am talking about those under the age of 65. The younger you are, the greater the survival rate. All ages combined the survival rate of Covid is 99.8%.

So, to put it this way, a teacher has a better chance of dying from a meteorite cracking them in the head than contracting covid from a student and dying. Another way to put it, you have a better chance of dying from TDS than contracting covid from a student and dying.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:35 PM

Many teachers of all ages have already received vaccines in Hawaii and it's happening across America whether anyone here agrees with it or not. Public transportation employees and healthcare workers are also getting vaccines regardless of their ages.

Should a 20+ year-old nurse get a vaccine before a 60+ year-old teacher? A matter of opinion.

To say that a teacher cannot catch it from a student defies logic. Most schools are still closed so the chance of transmission is low. That will likely change if schools reopen on a large scale before vaccinations.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-19-2021 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii