Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Apparently the AARP came out today with their stance. Should we ask those over 50 to just stay home also? 94% of the deaths in Hawaii are 50 and over.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...ons-people-up/

AARP says the state needs to act more quickly to expand eligibility to seniors, and wants the state to move everyone over 50 into a higher priority category.

Right now, seniors 75 and up are eligible for vaccinations along with a long list of essential workers. The state Health Department said it plans to expand eligibility “soon” to seniors 70 and up, followed by those 65 and older, but there’s been no firm timeline given.

Kealii Lopez, AARP Hawaii state director, said those 50 to 64 face aren’t considered a priority even though they may be at higher risk because of their age and also are more likely to be in the workforce.

Hawaii health statistics show those over 50 account for 94% of Hawaii deaths. “Those who were 50 and older have a higher risk either being hospitalized or dying from COVID,” said Lopez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
There is study that came out (yesterday?) on teachers and Covid19.

Most of the teachers are catching it from other teachers, so that could be a starting basis for return to work protocol to reduce risk. If it were me, and it's not (if the study is of high quality) do not allow teachers within 6 ft of each other (no break rooms), and do a return to school of those under the age 11 (or whatever the cutoff age was for reduced transmission).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-23-2021, 01:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That's the issue - see, you can't give teachers priority without giving the other groups priority - and at least today, not enough vaccine to go around - but here is why those groups should get priority over teachers, those workers have been on the job since the beginning with teachers mostly working remote

Hi Safeway checkout worker - you've crossed paths with several thousand people in your job in the past year. You've touched the groceries, bagged them - handled their money, etc - and even though your pay is even crappier than a teacher - I'm going to vaccine a teacher ahead of you even though teachers are only now getting students back to the classroom. Nothing literally fair for that essential worker to be behind a teacher.

I think you've mentioned you order from Amazon - typical warehouse on each shift has 600+ workers at any given time. No vaccine for them either?

How about a slaughterhouse - hundreds per shift - no vaccine?
Once again, I think vaccinating all high-risk workers ahead of people who stay home makes sense. I focused on teachers since that is what I do.

I don't agree with your statement: "put teachers at the very back of the line" though.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Once again, I think vaccinating all high-risk workers ahead of people who stay home makes sense. I focused on teachers since that is what I do.

I don't agree with your statement: "put teachers at the very back of the line" though.
I'm being sarcastic - and you know that.

The vaccinate teachers rhetoric is simply a distraction by Unions when many worthy groups exist - and have been working the frontline for about a year now - and they'll get the vaccine when they get the vaccine.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:10 PM

Bottom line: America wants kids back in school and if the price is vaccinating teachers it will happen.

I personally won't go back to full classrooms until I have been vaccinated. My income from the HDOE is just fun money for me but I empathize with older teachers who cannot afford to retire.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Bottom line: America wants kids back in school and if the price is vaccinating teachers it will happen.
Private schools and other public school districts have figured out how to do it without vaccination.

At this point - given it is almost March, any school not doing in person learning should just bail on the idea. And any union making a fuss about this should make vaccination a requirement for everyone. Let's see how that would go over. Kids have to get certain shot - make the teachers get a shot.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:41 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because we are not 100% sure it stops transmission yet, and you can still catch covid (in large part due to variants), it just reduces your chances of hospitalization by like 99%.
So the vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting Covid, just reduces the severity of Covid? Okay, then still, why must we continue to wear masks and socially distance when the survival rate of Covid without the vaccine is 99.8%? So will these mandates continue into perpetuity? There will never be normal again? We will have to continue hiding under our tables and wear masks indefinitely? No more going to concerts or ball games? That’s the science of it? Vaccines do not create herd immunity?

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 02-23-2021 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
So the vaccine doesn’t prevent you from getting Covid, just reduces the severity of Covid? Okay, then still, why must we continue to wear masks and socially distance when the survival rate of Covid without the vaccine is 99.8%? So will these mandates continue into perpetuity? There will never be normal again? We will have to continue hiding under our tables and wear masks indefinitely? No more going to concerts or ball games? That’s the science of it? Vaccines do not create herd immunity?
When 70-80% of the US population is vaccinated - you will expect life to be back to normal. If to many people do not get vaccinated and let variants get out of control - then life won't get back to normal. Hopefully by fall.

And yes, Covid will be with the world likely for many years to come. You'll likely need Covid shots yearly for quite awhile.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:55 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That's not what I said. This is the wrong thread to continue the conversation though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2021, 09:19 AM

Great news! Vaccines are coming to Hawaii and I have an appointment for March 3rd. I subbed on Wednesday and was somewhat worried about the virus. Fortunately I only had a handful of students.

Once I'm vaccinated I will gladly return to reopened schools with or without a 20% pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii