Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 06:37 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Back on track - I'm not seeing any light at the end of tunnel on when the State will open back up - Im starting to sense fall at the very earliest

Unemployment now tops 37%

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...own-continues/
My rent was paid, so I'm glad that it seems that my tenant isn't affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,717 times
Quote:
Back on track - I'm not seeing any light at the end of tunnel on when the State will open back up - Im starting to sense fall at the very earliest

Very sad news. Not sure if any of the Meadow Gold and golf course layoffs are included in the 37%. I'm guessing probably not.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Very sad news. Not sure if any of the Meadow Gold and golf course layoffs are included in the 37%. I'm guessing probably not.
It is definitely much higher than 37% - lots of people still cannot reach the claims office to file a claim.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:50 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:

If the state doesn’t open back up soon there will be many vacant buildings.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:59 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,717 times
Quote:
It is definitely much higher than 37% - lots of people still cannot reach the claims office to file a claim.
I hate to say it, but 50% unemployment is not out of the question.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:02 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Has nothing to do about closed mindedness. Nice assumption. Your reply turned into something political which I don’t have time for and could care less to read. Take no offense. I have a political philosophy and form my opinions based on that. I don’t care what you have to say about the president. Good for you. Don’t vote for him.
Yeah. My comments weren’t about the POTUS. They were about a common mindset that you have exhibited. POTUS was mentioned incidentally. Your comparisons to other flus fails firstly to assess that this COVID19 is ADDITIONAL to existing healthcare capacity to treat. Other holes in your “opinions” beyond that first failure are also gaping. The position you try to advance is not unique. Nor is it thoughtful. Frankly, it’s cavalierly superficial.

“There is no healthcare without an economy” is vacuously sophistic . The inverse could be better argued: ‘there is no economy without good health and healthcare’ ...

With specific regard to Hawaii - the state is uniquely similar to the cruise ship industry compared to any other state ... dependent on captive tourism and isolation. It’s a pretty singular dilemma compared to the other 49. Your opinions don’t begin to take this reality into consideration either.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I hate to say it, but 50% unemployment is not out of the question.
I said it March 23rd which was widely mocked at the time

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oahu...rk-home-2.html

Old 04-16-2020, 07:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
I said it March 23rd which was widely mocked at the time

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oahu...rk-home-2.html
I remember and silently agreed with you at the time. Who was mocking?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I remember and silently agreed with you at the time. Who was mocking?
It doesn't matter - it is truly tragic and not a prediction I wished to come true. And quite frankly, I get that it seemed a absurd prediction at the time. I wish I was writing how wrong I was.

What is sadder - there are certainly more layoffs to come - there are definitely restaurants open for takeout that are losing money staying open rather than closing. I see the potential for gas stations to start closing - hardly anyone is driving. Real Estate agents are sitting idle not making commissions with very few exceptions. The highest official number likely to come out will be in the 50% range - it will be interesting to see how that ends up compared to Nevada but not in a good way.

I did see the Mayor of Honolulu say no furloughs here in his press conference today. What he is leaving out - the Counties, largely funded by property taxes aren't going to be hit now - but give it a year when real estate plummets and property taxes go lower. I think it will be a matter of time before this all catches up at the County level. Hawaii County will get hit the hardest - followed by Kauai - Maui - then Oahu.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:58 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:

More deaths will result of that than what the Coronavirus could ever take. Do the research. How many lives are lost to such despair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii