Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times

Advertisements

I see the state is now going to require having negative test in hand prior to departure to Hawaii. If the lab takes a little longer, you still have to quarantine for 14 days even If you negative results by the time you land, or shortly after! I assume it still has to be within 72 hours.

Not sure how long test results are taking, but it seem like it has been more than 3 days in many cases. This seems like it is more or less going back to 14 day quarantine, because the rule to avoid seem mostly out of ones control.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
I got my test in 36 hours. I go back to Vegas 11/25 If my test doesn’t come back in time for my 12/1 return I’ll go to San Francisco for an approved 15 minute rapid test. Extra money in change of flights and new test but I’ll do what it takes.

I feel bad for recently opened hotels. I see closures and unemployment coming.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:56 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I see the state is now going to require having negative test in hand prior to departure to Hawaii. If the lab takes a little longer, you still have to quarantine for 14 days even If you negative results by the time you land, or shortly after! I assume it still has to be within 72 hours.

Not sure how long test results are taking, but it seem like it has been more than 3 days in many cases. This seems like it is more or less going back to 14 day quarantine, because the rule to avoid seem mostly out of ones control.
I sure don't see how that makes sense. I came back late Oct. and Kaiser tested and was told it could be 3-4 days. I received the results 29 hours later as I was boarding my flight and with a supervisors help figured it out on arrival. Can't imagine why you wouldn't be released from quarantine upon negative result!

Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I got my test in 36 hours. I go back to Vegas 11/25 If my test doesn’t come back in time for my 12/1 return I’ll go to San Francisco for an approved 15 minute rapid test. Extra money in change of flights and new test but I’ll do what it takes.

I feel bad for recently opened hotels. I see closures and unemployment coming.

Good luck on your tests traveling home. Hope you don't have come home Via San Francisco, if test does not come back in time.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:11 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,108,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In case you weren’t aware, it may be necessary to schedule that trip in advance. I’ve heard that Hilo DMV
is requiring that now, no walk ins.
You were right!

I violated the last part of my quarantine and rode down there and I burst into tears and fell on the ground with a noisy tantrum.

No, actually the nice clerk whispered, "Sighh....Go sit over there stupid, I'll fit you in between the other appointments".
Fifteen minutes later I indeed had my banana face and rode home with the renewed registration.

Hats off to the efficient & pretty DMV personnel there, what an unpleasant job...yet they almost always seem to try to make the visit a bit better.

Go here for your DMV appointments: https://alohaq.honolulu.gov/?lp
------------------------

BTW, the SWAT teams aren't as vigilant on us goofy Quarantine malefactors out there today:

"HPD Suspends COVID-19 Patrols After Audit Finds Overtime Violations"

https://www.civilbeat.org/beat/hpd-s...eid=0047e7e625

Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 PM

481 posts, read 623,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
You were right!

I violated the last part of my quarantine and rode down there and I burst into tears and fell on the ground with a noisy tantrum.

No, actually the nice clerk whispered, "Sighh....Go sit over there stupid, I'll fit you in between the other appointments".
Fifteen minutes later I indeed had my banana face and rode home with the renewed registration.

Hats off to the efficient & pretty DMV personnel there, what an unpleasant job...yet they almost always seem to try to make the visit a bit better.

Go here for your DMV appointments: https://alohaq.honolulu.gov/?lp
------------------------

BTW, the SWAT teams aren't as vigilant on us goofy Quarantine malefactors out there today:

"HPD Suspends COVID-19 Patrols After Audit Finds Overtime Violations"

https://www.civilbeat.org/beat/hpd-s...eid=0047e7e625
Very lucky! Here on Kauai the security guards won't let you in the building without an appointment. Appointments are 6 weeks to 2 months out....ugh!

Old 11-23-2020, 12:26 PM

If you are thinking about coming to Hawaii - it is definitely starting to get more difficult.

Quest Diagnostics suspended all Hawaii tests as of today. That was my first choice for testing in Vegas next week.

CVS was my backup plan - you are now greeted on the CVS site that not only do they think you won't get the test on time - but you should get tested elsewhere.

3rd backup is rapid test at SFO - meaning an expensive change of flight and risk of flight delay messing everything up.

Decisions Decisions.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Some good news today: Hawaiian Airlines is guaranteeing Covid-19 test results within 36 hours. Also they will have testing available near LAX, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, as well as San Francisco airports. Undoubtedly the other airlines will soon follow.

https://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-vaca...ithin-36-hours

Perhaps this will prevent mass cancellations?

I must confess that I did not miss the crowds here in Maui.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Some good news today: Hawaiian Airlines is guaranteeing Covid-19 test results within 36 hours. Also they will have testing available near LAX, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, as well as San Francisco airports. Undoubtedly the other airlines will soon follow.

https://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-vaca...ithin-36-hours

Perhaps this will prevent mass cancellations?

I must confess that I did not miss the crowds here in Maui.
I'm the opposite - the lack of crowds are downright depressing to me - especially when I see the impact to businesses.

Regardless - thanks for posting that, looks like I'll switch my return flight to Hawaiian and get tested in Vegas. At $950 for a First Class seat one way is ridiculously expensive - but oh well.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:10 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Meanwhile, looks like I won’t be back till next fall 2021 .... refuse to fly commercial and the military Space-A flights will probably be last to reopen (for retirees) ... and I never stay during May thru about October.

Dang. I would love to enjoy the lack of traffic and crowds.

That said, I do feel real bad for those out of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii