Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 09:20 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This only helps wealthy returning residents and will not move the needle on tourism. The islands largest employer, Grand Hyatt is closed indefinitely and will not operate as a bubble hotel.
I don’t doubt this.

Survey of Hawaii restaurant owners mentioned on HPR this AM reveals 1/2 of them anticipate
closing if business does not pick up by April.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Apparently Hawaii is considering a ban on California visitors. With a huge surge in Covid-19 cases there, some of them are likely to be carrying it over to us. California represents about one fourth of all visitors, and one out of every sixty Los Angeles residents is infected.

https://beatofhawaii.com/could-hawai...ornia-arrivals

Old 01-05-2021, 07:44 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Apparently Hawaii is considering a ban on California visitors. With a huge surge in Covid-19 cases there, some of them are likely to be carrying it over to us. California represents about one fourth of all visitors, and one out of every sixty Los Angeles residents is infected.

Would be interesting if they did implement this. I’ve read that they are finding some of that fast spreading mutated virus from England in CA now.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:25 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Would be interesting if they did implement this. I’ve read that they are finding some of that fast spreading mutated virus from England in CA now.
How? I'll just fly out of Vegas or Reno!

Old 01-05-2021, 09:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:

While they can certainly make all California residents quarantine and withdraw them from safe travels - I don't see how they could effectively be banned from entry - that runs afoul of the Privileges and Immunities Clause (Article 4 Section 2) of the Constitution - and travel to states as a right affirmed in Corfield v Coryell.

You could try the public health angle - but with many states on a per capita basis reporting more cases than California that would likely not work.

Finally, how do you implement that? A drivers license does not constitute residency (for instance, Hawaii does not require you to get a Hawaii Drivers License or ID). Ban all commercial flights from California?

Old 01-06-2021, 09:12 AM

Looks like FutureMauian will have to frolic at another beach - Maui is closing Little Beach.

"State officials today announced the immediate closure of Puu Olai Beach, also known as Little Beach, at Makena State Park on Maui due to beach parties with blatant nudity, illegal alcohol and hundreds of maskless people in close contact with one another."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...mming-circles/

Old 01-06-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Looks like FutureMauian will have to frolic at another beach - Maui is closing Little Beach.

"State officials today announced the immediate closure of Puu Olai Beach, also known as Little Beach, at Makena State Park on Maui due to beach parties with blatant nudity, illegal alcohol and hundreds of maskless people in close contact with one another."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...mming-circles/
LOL, I saw that story on TV news. I haven't been there in probably 10 years, and never to the weekly drum circles on Sunday Evenings.

I do my frolicking on the West Side these days. Usually Black Rock, Kapalua Bay, or right in front of my condo.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:28 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,116 times
Quote:

The survival rate of covid is 99.87% of those infected. If they are negative on a covid test and wear a mask, what is the risk?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
If they are negative on a covid test and wear a mask, what is the risk?
Well - they could be like me, test negative in Vegas 12/19 - fly to HNL on 12/22 - symptoms on 12/23 - positive test received 12/24.

Quite frankly - my symptoms were so light that probably most people wouldn't have bothered with the test - since I had just traveled, decided to get the test.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
The survival rate of covid is 99.87% of those infected. If they are negative on a covid test and wear a mask, what is the risk?
Yet 365,000 people have died of it, so far, in the U.S.

But let me guess, they were all motorcycle crash deaths mislabeled as Covid 19?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii