Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 01:51 AM

344 posts, read 250,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A million plus???? That a big leap from the current 170,000.

We had 590 yesterday across the entire US. Is that really a lot? This is an even if - even if 1 million die from this is that worth impacting the other 330 million? It'll take years for 1 million to die from corona in the US. in 1 year, 650,000 will die from heart disease in the US - but no outrage or a heath emergency.

If CNN broadcast 24/7 650,000 will die from heart disease EVERY YEAR would anyone care? Or do they just care about a run rate of 1/2 that?
We went over these estimated numbers yesterday derived from the study you posted. Do we really need to rehash that again?

Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
At least China is open.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/asia/...hnk/index.html

Paaaartaaaay!

Old 08-18-2020, 08:24 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

Contact tracing... It does help to have people cooperate in the process, so encouraging half the population to believe the whole thing is some left wing conspiracy would not help the situation..
And there lies the problem. It hasn't worked that well in hard hit NYC, hardly a bastion of right wing nut jobs.

About two weeks ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/n...t-tracing.html

".. in a worrying sign, only 42 percent of infected people provided the tracers with the name of even a single contact they might have exposed, a level that epidemiologists consider too low for the program to be broadly effective..."

Old 08-18-2020, 08:33 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
And there lies the problem. It hasn't worked that well in hard hit NYC, hardly a bastion of right wing nut jobs.

About two weeks ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/n...t-tracing.html

".. in a worrying sign, only 42 percent of infected people provided the tracers with the name of even a single contact they might have exposed, a level that epidemiologists consider too low for the program to be broadly effective..."
And no federal coordination is going to change that. If anything, due to the added administrative overhead and bureaucracy, it would probably make things worse.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
And what does your latest research say, Dr. Google, about lifting Hawaii's restrictions?
I haven’t presented myself as any “Dr. Google,” nor offered any advice or proposals ... beyond the observations that we are too soon to know all needed to know to act with certainties. What good would my “technical” input do? Who would listen to enact?

My research says: 99.999% of people anonymously posting “analysis“ and advice for both the medical and governance sides of the equation - aren’t qualified to know that of which they analyze and advise.

The ceaseless stream of venting and kvetching and amateur analyzing and advising ... is hilarious. Though I personally find more thoughtfulness in Kohala Transplant’s observations than all others combined.

And, much as he tries, ProspectHeights can’t disguise his Trumplove.

I would repeat what I posted months back:
1. When there is apparent significant danger, it is prudent to act with caution ... even when unsure if harmless protocols have efficacy.

2. A crisis of months, or even up to a year or even two, is a temporary hiccup in life’s journey ... and this crisis is, frankly, a snooze compared to numerous others I have had to live though / with in over 70 years.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:52 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I haven’t presented myself as any “Dr. Google,” nor offered any advice or proposals ... beyond the observations that we are too soon to know all needed to know to act with certainties. What good would my “technical” input do? Who would listen to enact?

My research says: 99.999% of people anonymously posting “analysis“ and advice for both the medical and governance sides of the equation - aren’t qualified to know that of which they analyze and advise.

The ceaseless stream of venting and kvetching and amateur analyzing and advising ... is hilarious. Though I personally find more thoughtfulness in Kohala Transplant’s observations than all others combined.

And, much as he tries, ProspectHeights can’t disguise his Trumplove.

I would repeat what I posted months back:
1. When there is apparent significant danger, it is prudent to act with caution ... even when unsure if harmless protocols have efficacy.

2. A crisis of months, or even up to a year or even two, is a temporary hiccup in life’s journey ... and this crisis is, frankly, a snooze compared to numerous others I have had to live though / with in over 70 years.

The reference was made in jest for the purpose of eliciting your opinion on Hawaii's restrictions. What's the point of a discussion board if not to discuss important topical matters? I will disagree about stifling amateur analysis on matters of governance and health. The management with both of these fields in US by the "experts" leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

Balancing the response to the health risks of a pandemic with other societal concerns doesn't have easy answers, as we are seeing worldwide.

New York now requires travelers from "hot" states to quarantine, while those from cooler states do not. Alaska requires non residents to have proof of a negative covid test prior to traveling.
IMO, both of these approaches are superior to Hawaii's.

If there has been a crisis equal to this one for Hawaii since statehood I'm interested in hearing about it.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
If there has been a crisis equal to this one for Hawaii since statehood I'm interested in hearing about it.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...next-pandemic/

Several thousand people in Hawaii died from the Spanish Flu Pandemic in 1918, and the islands saw even more deaths in the 1957 and 1968 pandemics.

Granted, 1957 is before statehood. Neither pandemic, without the internet and CNN made much news.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
This is interesting, at least to me, the CDC drops the recommendation for out of state and international travelers to a 14 day quarantine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rs/3424484001/

Travelers returning from a trip outside the country or their state no longer face recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return.

The CDC updated its travel requirements online Friday, advising travelers to "follow state, territorial, tribal and local recommendations or requirements after travel." Previous guidelines recommended a 14-day quarantine for those returning from international destinations or areas with a high concentration of coronavirus cases.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:07 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This is interesting, at least to me, the CDC drops the recommendation for out of state and international travelers to a 14 day quarantine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rs/3424484001/

Travelers returning from a trip outside the country or their state no longer face recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return.

The CDC updated its travel requirements online Friday, advising travelers to "follow state, territorial, tribal and local recommendations or requirements after travel." Previous guidelines recommended a 14-day quarantine for those returning from international destinations or areas with a high concentration of coronavirus cases.
Do they recommend banning outdoor activities, as our lawmakers are trying to do?

I've seen some articles stating that many researchers feel that banning these sort of activities is WORSE as far as spreading covid. Outdoor activities is much lower risk. Instead, they're cooping everyone up in confined quarters, many households are multigenerational in hawaii, greatly increasing the risk of contraction. Our lawmakers throw out nonsensical restrictions left and right and lose credibility with the general public. If there are other states have bungled their covid responses worse, I'd be pretty amazed.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:10 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
If you're a family of 10 packed into a small home you're bound to give each other covid at some point. What difference is getting out for a family gathering at the public park going to do other than potentially get others outside of their family infected? If these families have anyone infected in their household they all need to quarantine in place for the duration recommended by the CDC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii