Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 02:05 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Maybe - but I believe the spirit of the article is you ramp up the healthcare infrastructure. It seems clear to me, not only is the healthcare infrastructure woefully inadequate, but they've had 6 months to deal with an inevitable spike in cases.

This virus will be with us for years regardless of a vaccine. You can't do nothing and hope it magically goes away. We can't just never reopen. We reopen, cases go up - you need to be prepared for that, Hawaii isn't ready despite all this time to be ready.
The insanity of it all is that hawaii had a free pass on getting hit with the virus early on, giving them 4 additional months to prepare, and literally did nothing. In fact, the governor was arrogant enough to state that we're the "safest in all the world" or something stupid to that effect. It's amazing how bungled the response is from the state & county, related departments such as DOH, DOE, DOLIR, etc. All of these agencies have the same mantra in common, do nothing and hope for the best. To make it worse, they have ardent defenders of their do-nothing policies to accompany the do-nothing governor. Much of these defenders appear to be government workers or retirees who want everything locked down because it's "safer" for them that way, and they're shielded from the economic harm. Not saying all are like this.

Last edited by rya96797; 09-03-2020 at 02:54 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 11:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Interesting article on how the hotel industry may be lobbying to not reopen tourism until January at the earliest.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-not-be-until/

Greenberg, speaking in a Facebook Live forum Thursday, thinks that biggest lobbyist behind a potential delay is coming from an sector of the industry you might not expect: Hawaii’s hotels.

“Because they don’t want to open at 20% occupancy, that’s financially unsustainable for them,” Greenberg said.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Interesting article on how the hotel industry may be lobbying to not reopen tourism until January at the earliest.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-not-be-until/

Greenberg, speaking in a Facebook Live forum Thursday, thinks that biggest lobbyist behind a potential delay is coming from an sector of the industry you might not expect: Hawaii’s hotels.

“Because they don’t want to open at 20% occupancy, that’s financially unsustainable for them,” Greenberg said.
That's pretty bad, if true. I kinda doubt it though.... if hotels don't want to open, they'll simply do what halekulani did and shut down for the next year.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:03 PM

For those of you who think the no end in sight closure is a good thing

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...cancellations/

The state posted 25 mass layoff and furlough notices from hospitality companies on Thursday — a signal that Hawaii’s visitor industry doubts that the state will begin a pre-arrivals testing program on Oct. 1 to kick-start Hawaii’s tourism recovery.

Thursday was a one-day pandemic record for Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act notices. Altogether, 26 hospitality companies have filed WARN letters since the start of September notifying the state of more than 2,500 impending layoffs or extended furloughs. That’s on top of the 23 WARN letter notices that visitor industry businesses issued in August, as well as the 18 in July, 30 in June, nine in May, 10 in April and 22 in March.

“The WARN notices today were depressing. Pages and pages,” said Ben Rafter, CEO of OLS Hotels and Resorts.” We’ve seen so many of these notices, but we can’t start becoming numb to them. In addition to the hundreds of millions that have been lost in the tourism industry, these are thousands of people’s lives. We need to keep pushing forward with reopening plans.”

Old 09-06-2020, 08:12 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:

I don't get it. Just run the place 20% staffed. Some income is better than none, isn't it?

Old 09-06-2020, 08:34 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,245 times
I don't know if this chart has been linked here, but this looks quite encouraging, now.

Today, Sunday Sept. 6th:

Should Hawaii start lifting restrictions for certain islands?-covid-hawaii-graph-9-6-20.jpg

Source: https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...0/page/page_8/

Old 09-06-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I don't get it. Just run the place 20% staffed. Some income is better than none, isn't it?
Not if the expenses of reopening are greater than the "some income".

Sure you can ramp down some positions - like housekeeping. Many, you cannot.

Once you turn on the lights the expenses go up quickly.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:37 PM

Announcement coming today if stay at home will be extended.....

Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
I'm not expecting the best but hope I'm wrong.

In the unlikely chance that covid is still a thing when I have to pick orders in May (hopefully to return to Hawaii), any ridiculous measures that are still in place in Hawaii will sadly work against me choosing the state for my next duty station.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Extended 2 more weeks - although you'll be able to exercise solo in parks/beaches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii