Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Just leave the car in the lot for 2 days in the sun.

I never knew portable UV lights were as cheap as $9. https://www.bing.com/shop?q=Portable...EE1941B95D0341

Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I read about the change on the website: Beat of Hawaii. They believe this is actually going to take place this time.

I later heard that only Oahu will be affected from someone who has been flying back and forth to the mainland for months, and enduring quarantine each time. He pointed out the lack of direct flights to outer islands and the fact that the change does not apply to inter-island flights, which effectively limits the change to Oahu.

At $120-140, per person, it is also somewhat expensive but would still be worth it to many people (and me).
My son flew back to the mainland for college not too long ago from Kona. At the time there were plenty of options to fly directly from Kona to the mainland. Presumably those flights have matching incoming flights?

But, the options are certainly reduced relative to pre-Covid.

If one were to be able to get direct flight into Kona, would the new rules apply? Hoping to be able to have both our kids visit during the holidays.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:58 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Airfares will likely be somewhat depressed due to the pandemic, so should offset the cost of the testing.
I wouldn't count on that - I suspect some short term sales to get things moving again but the Airlines will mitigate low demand simply by taking flights off of the schedule. Less flights = less seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
If one were to be able to get direct flight into Kona, would the new rules apply? Hoping to be able to have both our kids visit during the holidays.
Yes, the new rules will apply to all of the islands.

Their will be plenty of direct flights from the mainland to all of the major islands. Every major island today has direct flights to/from the mainland and those will ramp up further with the Oct 15 changes.

While I think this date will actually stick, keep in mind this was supposed to start Aug 1, then Sept 1, then Oct 1 - and now Oct 15

Old 09-17-2020, 12:13 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Heads up, United is requiring face shields as well as masks.
At least for my EWR/NY flight to HNL.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Heads up, United is requiring face shields as well as masks.
At least for my EWR/NY flight to HNL.
No.

You must wear a face covering - a mask alone is fine as long as it does not have vents.

What they do say is a face shield does not count as face covering - so if you choose to wear a face shield you must also wear a mask. But the face shield is not required.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:12 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No.

You must wear a face covering - a mask alone is fine as long as it does not have vents.

What they do say is a face shield does not count as face covering - so if you choose to wear a face shield you must also wear a mask. But the face shield is not required.
That makes sense.

Alaska Airlines has no flights Seattle to Kona until the 15th, when they start offering 2 a day.

So, it looks like the testing option will apply to outer islands also.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:15 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I liked the fine print. $120 for the test
I'm a bit confused. If testing must happen 72 hours prior to arriving in Hawaii, how does that figure apply?

The cost would be whatever the traveler coming from mainland can find offered in his/her community.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
I just checked Orbitz for flights from Maui to Los Angeles. For the rest of September there is one red-eye available on Delta for fewer than half of the remaining dates. All other flights connect through Honolulu. Starting on October 1st, there are 2 additional non-stops available on United and American.

My experience lately has been that the airlines wait until the last minute to cancel future flights, perhaps in order to increase their operating capital which they will refund waaaay in the future.

It seems logical that if the quarantine is lifted, non-stops will increase. Viper is probably the best source for that information.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I'm a bit confused. If testing must happen 72 hours prior to arriving in Hawaii, how does that figure apply?

The cost would be whatever the traveler coming from mainland can find offered in his/her community.
No - it has to be a lab/provider approved by the State of Hawaii. The details on that have not been released. As of now, you don't get to choose any place that happens to do testing.

All we know thus far is they have partnered with CVS and Kaiser who are committed to doing these tests for Hawaii travelers in the timeframe needed. And those tests are priced at $120-$140

A lot of details still to come.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I just checked Orbitz for flights from Maui to Los Angeles. For the rest of September there is one red-eye available on Delta for fewer than half of the remaining dates. All other flights connect through Honolulu. Starting on October 1st, there are 2 additional non-stops available on United and American.

My experience lately has been that the airlines wait until the last minute to cancel future flights, perhaps in order to increase their operating capital which they will refund waaaay in the future.

It seems logical that if the quarantine is lifted, non-stops will increase. Viper is probably the best source for that information.
Airlines generally updated flight schedules on the last Friday evening 1 month in advance. Those tend to be systemwide updates.

So, the October schedule was loaded by airlines generally on Aug 28.

Anything you see past October is not a schedule you should necessarily trust for the entire systemwide schedule.

I suspect airlines will pull back flights from Oct 1-14 and leave the Oct 15 onward flights on the schedule specific to Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii