Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM

344 posts, read 251,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No - it has to be a lab/provider approved by the State of Hawaii. The details on that have not been released. As of now, you don't get to choose any place that happens to do testing.

All we know thus far is they have partnered with CVS and Kaiser who are committed to doing these tests for Hawaii travelers in the timeframe needed. And those tests are priced at $120-$140

A lot of details still to come.
Where are you seeing that the lab has to be approved by State of Hawaii? I know things are changing quickly, but the article I saw quoted that the lab needs to be CLIA certified, nothing about Hawaii approved.

if they are tested no earlier than 72 hours before their flight arrives with an FDA-approved nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), performed using a nasal swab, and can show proof of negative test results from a CLIA certified laboratory

Old 09-17-2020, 02:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Where are you seeing that the lab has to be approved by State of Hawaii? I know things are changing quickly, but the article I saw quoted that the lab needs to be CLIA certified, nothing about Hawaii approved.

if they are tested no earlier than 72 hours before their flight arrives with an FDA-approved nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), performed using a nasal swab, and can show proof of negative test results from a CLIA certified laboratory

My contact at the State told me - expect more information to come out soon. And expect the information to change often. Even though they've had 6 months - it still isn't a fully baked plan.

At the moment - they want the tests to be from CVS or Kaiser - they are worried about fraud/phony documents if people go to other places. CVS and Kaiser will provide a database to the State to verify authenticity.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:30 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:

At the moment - they want the tests to be from CVS or Kaiser - they are worried about fraud/phony documents if people go to other places. CVS and Kaiser will provide a database to the State to verify authenticity.
That sounds unrealistically paranoid to me. If this is the case then they won't be getting any Alaska travelers.

Quest diagnostics handles the local Covid screening lab tests. They're a Fortune 500 company.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That sounds unrealistically paranoid to me.
We could argue that waiting until Oct 15 was unrealistically paranoid with over 20% unemployed on Maui.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:16 PM

Posted recently in another CD forum, re: ending Covid screening of international arrivals because so few have been found to be positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/polit...ers/index.html

Old 09-20-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Posted recently in another CD forum, re: ending Covid screening of international arrivals because so few have been found to be positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/polit...ers/index.html
That is great. Although, it doesn't help much with travel between states.

Now if we could just get them to stop making us take off our shoes.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
My contact at the State told me - expect more information to come out soon. And expect the information to change often. Even though they've had 6 months - it still isn't a fully baked plan.

OK. I am starting to agree with you, the administration is completely not up to the task...

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020...e-out-of-luck/

Old 09-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
OK. I am starting to agree with you, the administration is completely not up to the task...

In addition to not being to test children under 12 - it will be interesting to see if CVS will test out of state residents - which they currently do not, so under the current rules at CVS, a Hawaii resident cannot get tested at a CVS facility in Las Vegas.

CVS also doesn't test every resident who wants a test - if you go to the CVS site, answer the questionnaire that you have no symptoms, not high risk, not exposed - it quickly tells you don't qualify for a test

Old 09-22-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
In addition to not being to test children under 12 - it will be interesting to see if CVS will test out of state residents - which they currently do not, so under the current rules at CVS, a Hawaii resident cannot get tested at a CVS facility in Las Vegas.

CVS also doesn't test every resident who wants a test - if you go to the CVS site, answer the questionnaire that you have no symptoms, not high risk, not exposed - it quickly tells you don't qualify for a test
So in reality it's a fake opening, one that not many people will be able to participate in.

Way to go, Ige. I've had about enough of seeing his smiling image attached to articles about this.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:

This tells me that they are contracting for the nose assault test, which would not be appropriate for children for the sake of a vacation, etc., in the humble opinion of one who gets one of these tests every two weeks for work. If this is so, I am curious to know why as there are other, less painful COVID tests on the market (it may come down to cheapest alternative if I am correct).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii