Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
So what do you do? Just open everything up? Let her 'rip'? No quarantine, no social distancing, no masks, just pretend it's not happening?
By now, they should have had testing capability for test on arrival with results in 24 hours.

Quarantine for 24 hours with a test on arrival or no quarantine if negative test within 48 hours of the flight departure seems reasonable to me.

They've had over 2 months to get something in place. They could have put occupancy restrictions on hotels to further limit arrivals. All sorts of things could have happened. The only plan we have now is, no plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
By now, they should have had testing capability for test on arrival with results in 24 hours.

Quarantine for 24 hours with a test on arrival or no quarantine if negative test within 48 hours of the flight departure seems reasonable to me.

They've had over 2 months to get something in place. They could have put occupancy restrictions on hotels to further limit arrivals. All sorts of things could have happened. The only plan we have now is, no plan.
And if someone is pre-active, carrying the virus, they test negative?

Old 06-16-2020, 09:01 PM

If you are carrying the virus but asymptomatic (No symptoms) you still test positive for the virus.

Many people get this and never show a symptom (which is how it easily gets passed) but that is why you test.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:

'All sorts of things could have happened', we could have ended up similar to NYC, or what is happening now in other cities on the mainland. I don't think Ige has anything to gain by shutting down the Islands, and some kind of an alternative plan could be put into place. But it would be idiotic to count upon the discretion of incoming visitors to monitor themselves in regards to testing.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
But it would be idiotic to count upon the discretion of incoming visitors to monitor themselves in regards to testing.
This lawsuit would not have happened if some sort of plan existed. No testing is not a plan and although I want restrictions lifted, no testing goes to far.

But no plan at all is idiotic. Ige should have teams of people to figure this out. With all the Fed money, I find it hard to believe he couldn't get some firm to take on arrival airport testing with 24 hours or less results.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
This lawsuit would not have happened if some sort of plan existed. No testing is not a plan and although I want restrictions lifted, no testing goes to far.

But no plan at all is idiotic. Ige should have teams of people to figure this out. With all the Fed money, I find it hard to believe he couldn't get some firm to take on arrival airport testing with 24 hours or less results.
So Ige is just coming up with this on his own? You know better than that. If it were possible to reliably screen/test people prior to their departure, and quarantine them there for 24-48 hours, then put them all onto a plane with people that have already been through the same process.... It just sucks regardless, and all the virus wants to do is keep on going.
Check out Gunnison, Colorado, 1918, vs Philadelphia War Bonds Rally, September, 1918. Granted, different times, Influenza of 1918 was more lethal, but the approach made all the difference.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:06 PM

960 posts, read 1,218,018 times
I think he would be criticized by one group or another regardless of what he did. But in the end, he has taken a very cautious approach to protect residents of the state as best he could. I am in agreement with the quarantine. I don’t believe there would be anyway to have controlled and enforced masks and social distancing with tourist arrivals. Even with a quarantine many still come and ignore it.

If he had been more relaxed, the virus would have hit the state much harder. And then people would be upset that he hadn’t done enough.

The virus doesn’t seem like a big deal when it’s mostly happening somewhere else. But when/if it gets a foothold on the island, people would wish they still had the quarantine.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 AM

451 posts, read 412,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I think he would be criticized by one group or another regardless of what he did. But in the end, he has taken a very cautious approach to protect residents of the state as best he could. I am in agreement with the quarantine. I don’t believe there would be anyway to have controlled and enforced masks and social distancing with tourist arrivals. Even with a quarantine many still come and ignore it.

If he had been more relaxed, the virus would have hit the state much harder. And then people would be upset that he hadn’t done enough.

The virus doesn’t seem like a big deal when it’s mostly happening somewhere else. But when/if it gets a foothold on the island, people would wish they still had the quarantine.

Actually, what I think Ige has been attempting to protect is a relatively weak statewide medical/clinical infrastucture. We have enough professionals to handle what we currently are experiencing, however an increase in Covid19 infection would overwhelm the system. Doctors and nurses are hard to replace. They will leave if overwhelmed or become sick. Period. If they were to, we'd all be screwed. Take a moment and think about it.

In addition, the real focus the state health department is currently on community transmission
and contact tracing. The later, contract tracing, is what has been missing in this thread. It is incredibly
important that the contact history of those who are infected be investigated in order to test and quarantine those associated individuls who could test positive. The state has been trying to ramp-up, train and field personal to conduct contact tracing on all the islands. This is not an easy task, and Ige, Green and the state department of health are not going to ease restrictions until they are assured a trained, robust an aggresive
agency on every island are able to conduct contact tracing.

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
This is not an easy task, and Ige, Green and the state department of health are not going to ease restrictions until they are assured a trained, robust an aggresive
agency on every island are able to conduct contact tracing.
I've watched multiple interviews where Lt Gov Green has stated he disagrees with the states reopening plans. Specifically he has said he would've reopened businesses earlier - lifted interisland quarantine earlier - and been more aggressive on airport testing.

On May 25, he said: While the hotel union pushes for new safeguards, the Lieutenant Governor thinks Hawaii could restart its visitor industry by July.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ustry-by-july/

Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM

451 posts, read 412,894 times
I too would have reopened businesses and lifted neighbor island travel much earlier based on the rate of transmisson
we have been experiencing while under the travel quarantine, however the Hawai'i Dept of Health, while following CDC guidelines has been the entitiy making recommendations that Ige has been following. I am certain Ige isn't going to recommend lifting travel restrictions until Bruce Anderson tells him the state health department is staffed and well practiced at contact tracing. I understand the state needs about 1,000 people available and trained to do this. I think they were still short several hundred volunteers (yes, it appears the state has requested volunteers to be trained and act as contact tracers) as of early last week.

Some sort of inbound testing will be put in place and required to travel to Hawai'i, however it is absolutely essential that we are assured the limited medical infrastructure we have on the islands are not overwhelmed. Can you imagine what would happen if 150 covid cases needing hospitalization suddenly showed up on Kauai or even Maui?

Give Green a call or send him an e-mail and ask about the need for contact tracing staffing prior to opening the state's
doors to malihini. I bet he says it is a critical component to any plan for lifting travel restrictions, and it is also what is now delaying the lifiting of those restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii