Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 10:22 AM

960 posts, read 1,218,018 times

Advertisements

The only way it works to allow a trickle of tourists to start coming is if they start allowing symptomless testing on demand for travel purposes. Most places I know of won’t test you unless you are having specific symptoms... regardless if you want to pay for the test or not. Unless that changes, it’s tough to plan a trip.

However, countries that already have wide and easily available testing in place, like Japan & S Korea may be better positioned to come until Widespread travel testing on demand is available in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
The only way it works to allow a trickle of tourists to start coming is if they start allowing symptomless testing on demand for travel purposes. Most places I know of won’t test you unless you are having specific symptoms... regardless if you want to pay for the test or not. Unless that changes, it’s tough to plan a trip.

However, countries that already have wide and easily available testing in place, like Japan & S Korea may be better positioned to come until Widespread travel testing on demand is available in the US.
I don't think Japan or South Korea travelers are on the states radar - since those countries aren't going to let those citizens back in without strict quarantine.

Josh Green on Hawaii News Now at 7am today.....

Wants a final plan by mid-July and claims they will have partnerships with CVS, etc.

Now says test cost will be between $120-$160

Implied residents won't need test if trip is less than 6 days

Old 06-26-2020, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 14,384 times
Disappointing since we were planning a trip to see our Family on Oahu. We live in a major metro city (2M + population) and there is no chance you can get a test here unless you meet the CDC / State guidelines which means you have to have symptoms and a Dr.'s referral irregardless of your ability to pay. I'm a health care worker and our own facility lab can't even do it. I checked every CVS location within 50 miles (drive up testing only) and there was zero time slots for testing even if I did meet the requirements. I don't see testing on demand coming until maybe later next year. I'm one of those "serious" tourists but I see no way to comply with the requirements for a visit.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninop View Post
Disappointing since we were planning a trip to see our Family on Oahu. We live in a major metro city (2M + population) and there is no chance you can get a test here unless you meet the CDC / State guidelines which means you have to have symptoms and a Dr.'s referral irregardless of your ability to pay. I'm a health care worker and our own facility lab can't even do it. I checked every CVS location within 50 miles (drive up testing only) and there was zero time slots for testing even if I did meet the requirements. I don't see testing on demand coming until maybe later next year. I'm one of those "serious" tourists but I see no way to comply with the requirements for a visit.
Realistically, I don't see how the current State plan is feasible until testing on the Mainland gets under control - I have a hard time believing that by August and even September tests will be readily available on the Mainland for Hawaii tourists.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:49 PM

344 posts, read 251,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Realistically, I don't see how the current State plan is feasible until testing on the Mainland gets under control - I have a hard time believing that by August and even September tests will be readily available on the Mainland for Hawaii tourists.
If they can get CVS or similar to support capacity, seems like a better option would be test incoming arrivals, and have then quarantine until negative test available. If you could turn test around in a day or two, that might be workable. Pooled testing might speed that up as well.

Will be harder, IMHO to get a bunch of other states to do outbound testing (what would be their incentive to do that?). Besides, many state leaders still think it is all just a hoax, so not exactly prioritizing expanded testing.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

Will be harder, IMHO to get a bunch of other states to do outbound testing (what would be their incentive to do that?). Besides, many state leaders still think it is all just a hoax, so not exactly prioritizing expanded testing.
The States won't do the testing - CVS, Walgreens, etc will do the testing.

The problem is they don't have the capacity on the mainland to test everyone - CVS currently only tests residents, 18 or over, and meet CDC criteria for a test.

If I were a hotel general manager I'd really think long and hard about the financial commitment to reopen as they have to start getting ready now for Aug 1 reopening - as it stands, I don't see this as realistic to begin this on Aug 1.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Heard once again on the 5pm news that residents who take a trip less than 5 days will not need a test or quarantine starting August 1. Don't see anything in writing yet.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:56 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
I had a covid test today (I was one of the "lucky" weekly folks chosen at random for work to get tested) and I can tell you that they are NOT fun. Uncomfortable is an understatement. This isn't a test that I'd submit children to unless absolutely necessarily, which a vacation to Hawaii doesn't fall under. Quite frankly, I would not voluntarily take a test for leisure travel, no matter the expense . . . that's how uncomfortable it was for me.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:20 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I had a covid test today (I was one of the "lucky" weekly folks chosen at random for work to get tested) and I can tell you that they are NOT fun. Uncomfortable is an understatement. This isn't a test that I'd submit children to unless absolutely necessarily, which a vacation to Hawaii doesn't fall under. Quite frankly, I would not voluntarily take a test for leisure travel, no matter the expense . . . that's how uncomfortable it was for me.
what was it like? can't be worse than colonoscopy!

Old 07-03-2020, 12:26 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Heard once again on the 5pm news that residents who take a trip less than 5 days will not need a test or quarantine starting August 1. Don't see anything in writing yet.
I hope that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii